Monday, December 10, 2007

Warm All Over

It was a wonderful week. My parents, one of my sisters and one of my nieces came to Charleston for a visit, and we were thrilled to have them here.

We enjoyed an early Christmas gift exchange, and Frank and I received many thoughtful things. But as I worked my way into the large gift bag from my parents, opening several gifts stacked atop each other, I caught a glimpse of something at the bottom that looked suspiciously like a crocheted blanket. My heart skipped a beat. You see, my mother crochets very well, and for as long as I can remember she has crocheted beautiful baby blankets for the new arrivals in our family. They are special gifts cherished by all lucky recipients. So as you can imagine I was quite agog. Could it be? Is this what I think it is? Is it really our turn???

I gently lifted from the gift bag not one, but two soft and cushy, handmade baby blankets. They were absolutely, breathtakingly perfect. A gorgeous light turquoise one, and a vibrant multicolored one with alternating hues of green, yellow, blue, pink, lavender and white. My heart filled to overflowing with love and appreciation for my sweet mother, which spilled over into my eyes and onto the blankets. I couldn’t hug her long enough or thank her deeply enough.

I could just imagine her patiently crocheting them, just as I had watched her do so many times as a child. Perched at the dining room table, hands moving and twisting in a repeating pattern while holding a shiny, hooked needle, weaving a single thread into a superbly organized tangle, row after row, humming a joyful tune and saying little prayers all along the way until a work of art magically emerged. Having put a great deal of thought into choosing the colors, the yarn and the pattern, and agonizing over whether or not her (fairly finicky) daughter would really like them.

Well mom, rest assured that I LOVE them. Not just because they are so pretty, but because they are priceless treasures from your heart, and from the careful toil of your hands. The same soft hands that held and fed me as a baby. The same loving hands that hugged me, brushed my hair and occasionally spanked me. The same hands that have curious ridges in the fingernails, which are exactly echoed in my own. The hands that radiate the love of a beautiful, kindhearted woman who has always done much more for others than was ever done for her.

The blankets are now waiting patiently in Habibi’s crib. For now their intent is quiescent, but their significance is not. I eagerly await the days when we tenderly swaddle the newest grandchild in these precious gifts, and find comfort that the baby will surely sleep more peacefully and have sweeter dreams when wrapped up in a grandmother’s love.




Regina's Mom and Dad (Christina and Rudy)


Regina's Sister and Niece (Sonia and Amanda)


(More family photos to come in a future post...it is a large group!)

16 comments:

marsrob said...

That is SUCH a beautiful gift and what a touching tribute to your mother. She sounds absolutely amazing - the mother any of us would hope for. What a lucky woman you are and what a lucky baby to get a grandma like that!
Thinking of you in Kaz!
xoxoxoxox

Our Family of Bloggers said...

What a wonderful, touching gift. I am sure that your little baby will treasure those blankets long, long after he or she has outgrown being wrapped in them. Just imagine how special next Christmas will be!

Susan said...

I love the blankets--they are gorgeous! I know how you feel, my aunt and grandma designed and hand stitched a quilt for Baby Kaz. I also have MY baby blanket that was knitted for me. My mom passed away when I was 17, so it's nice to have a "piece of her" so to speak as we embark in this new adventure.

Your baby will cherish those blankets forever-just as I still have mine! :)
That is awesome!
Your mom is so pretty and looks so sweet too!!

Amy said...

Oh, how gorgeous and absolutely sweet! I love the colors and what a treasure these will always be. So glad your family got to visit, I know how special they are to you. I can see Haibibi wrapped up in them already!

Kim said...

What beautiful blankets. Both my kids have one from their great Aunt and do not go to sleep without them. Your baby will look so cuddly! You should write a book or something, you have a true way with words. :-)

Kim

Thad and Ann said...

the blankets are beautiful! What a sweet Mom you have. Your little munkin will love those blankets, I have a big blanket that my grandma made & while its worn through in some places I refuse to throw it away, just knowing she made it makes me love it.

Matthew Ruley said...

They are beautiful, what a priceless gift AND they are priceless, because they are made by mom. I LOVE the story of you growing up and her humming and praying. What a great story. Thank you I got all weepy as I was reading it.

Sandi said...

The blankets are a wonderful gift. I too received a blanket and hat crocheted by my aunt, and they are something to treasure forever.

Your child will love those blankets and your truly blessed to have such a wonderful family.

Sandi

Amy said...

Wow!! What a great post! What a great Mom! What nice meaningful gifts! Isn't it absolutely wonderful when it is finally your turn! Congratulations on it being your turn Regina!

Jennifer said...

Wow. I had to wipe away the tears just to see the pictures. No exageration. What a beautiful gift- not only physically, but also for what it means and signifies. It's almost like being handed a most coveted ticket for entrance into a wonderful, limited and exclusive club. You made it! You're next!

Anonymous said...

What a treasure, and an heirloom. Just think, your grandchild will be wrapped in that blanket!

I still have the one my grandmother made for me when I was 10 (she chose 10 for some reason to let each grandkid choose their colors). Sadly, I chose the popular colors of 197.... (don't want to say exactly) so my beautiful, adored, well-loved handmade quilt that I will never get rid of happens to be brown, beige, orange, ivory and avocado green. Shut up, it's beautiful!
;-)
Shannon

Angela said...

Awesome! What an amazing gift. I love thinking of the warmth these blankets will provide your little one. Really, there isn't anything better.

Karen said...

What a wonderful gift. Especially since it evoked such warm childhood memories. I can visualize her humming while crocheting with a hint of a grin on her face.

Anonymous said...

I have to say this is the first time I have taken the time to leave a comment. Usually I am too busy or whatever the excuse may be. But I want you guys to know that I too received one of these precious blankets from Christina when Tyler was born. It was the most beautiful piece of work I have ever seen. And to this day Tyler still won't let go of it. I know it will fill your little one with warmth and comfort just as it did ours...

Karla said...

Way to make me cry at my desk at work, girlfriend. :)

Can't wait to catch up and chat...

Anonymous said...

Charles has one of those special blankets too...I wouldn't be surprised to find out nearly everyone in our family has one! I have tucked his away and occassionally I pull it out and snuggle with it, I always think of the love that was put into making it and the love that was wrapped up in it when Charles was a baby. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinkig about it...