Monday, April 28, 2008

About to Pop

<--- This is how it feels to be waiting for an LOI!

(I recently found this photo of me goofing around many Christmases ago and had to laugh.)

Being this close feels a lot like waiting for our water to break. Everyone we see has that excited, questioning look in their eyes, and all we can do is just rub our belly, smile and shrug our shoulders.

It also feels like the night before Christmas and we’ve been up all night wrapping gifts, and we’re finally ready for the sun to come up. We sit on the couch, cradling mugs of steaming cocoa, and wait for the inky sky to fulfill its promise for streaks of deep violet, pink, orange and finally brilliant yellow.

It also feels like we are approaching the end a slow, long climb up the crest of the most giant of all rollercoasters. The 'chenk-chenk-chenk' sound is coming to a stop, and we are poised for a millisecond at the top of a very tall arc, about to zoom through the most thrilling, scary, wonderful ride we've ever imagined.

It also feels like the beginning of spring, when you see all the hard work of last season begin to sprout. Vines start off on their trails, flower buds peek open their sleepy eyes and dry brown turns first to bright green and then deep emerald.

It also feels like we are juggling. Finally all the hoops are in the air at the same time, and we’re just waiting on that final one to be thrown to us before they start dropping. C’mon Kaz…throw us another one. We can handle it. Hurry before some document (aka hoop) expires!

We are as prepared as we will ever be. Our paperwork is ready, our bags are packed, our bills are on auto-pay, the bank and our employers are on notice, we’ve selected an IA doctor, travel insurance agent and travel agency, the shopping is done, the lists are checked off, our house is clean, our house-sitter is ready to move in, our laundry is done, our yard is groomed, the files are organized and the laptop is ready.

Actually, the laptop is the thing I’m nervous about right now. I bought a new Dell 3 months ago, which came with Windows Vista, and I’ve almost thrown it into the Ashley River twice. Vista stinks. It crashed again today. I really wish I had bought a Mac. Our computer will be our lifeline and we don’t have time to send it back, buy a new one and reload/reconfigure everything. If this one dies in Kaz, we can always go to the internet café to post quick blog entries, but we’re really depending on it for everything from blogging to watching movies to playing music, to journaling, e-mailing, Skyping, making movies, editing photos, etc. I really hope it comes through. (How many leaps of faith can one squeeze into one adoption?)

Overall we are surprisingly calm, considering that the very next phone call could be the one. I think my anxiety level was higher during the wait for our region assignment, since that greatly influences much of what our overall experience will be. Maybe we are unruffled because it has been so long since we thought we might be “going soon” and it’s hard to believe that this timely confluence of circumstances is finally a reality.

We shall see. In the meantime we will just keep staring at my belly.


By the way, Frank raised a lot of money this weekend with his lemonade stand! For those of you who commented that you'd like to see him in a bikini, here is a little eye candy just for you.



(Just for the record, yes this is Borat's body. And just for the record, I'm only slightly ashamed of myself.)

17 comments:

dnd82001 said...

You guys are just too funny. Great posiive patient attitude & a wonderful sense of humor and with your husband like that you should hit every cornor in the state you'd rack up big bucks!!

Darlene

Patrick & Eileen said...

Wow.....you guys came through with a risqué photo of Frank!! Too funny!

We are having to redo some of our paperwork. Andrea is getting set to view them again before we send them off to Richmond to be apostilled. For the FINAL time - well it better be!

Well we're just looking forward to seeing the post about your LOI!

Eileen

Catalina said...

:)). You reminded me to laugh, I am so tensed now, different stage of waiting but believe me its so hard !!. I hope you will get your LOI fast, otherwise I am little worried about the pictures in your next post :).

Sandi said...

Ok I am just smiling ear to ear, Frank looks quite happy in that fabulous swimsuit. Lord I hope the LOI does not take much longer, what would Frank be wearing then?

I truly hope that LOI comes soon, the last part of waiting is so so hard, but oh it will be so so worth it.

Sandi

Our Family of Bloggers said...

You are too freaking funny! You crack me up. Both photos are a riot. It is a bit like waiting for your water to break- the anticipation, the nerves, the constant questions and looks from people. Can't wait for you to POP!
PS- Everyone is entitled to frustrating days, it is what makes us real. But I am so happy to see funny, happy Regina back in town
:-)

Jennifer said...

Ah I love your sense of humor!! I'm trying not to laugh at work as I'd be afraid someone would ask what I was laughing at!

You are so amazingly organized. I'm impressed and ready to bow down. You have no idea when you're going, but you're ready. Me, I had my TD's a month in advance and I was still down to the wire in getting stuff done! Procrastinator with a Capital 'P.'

Your writing is amazing as usual. Took me back down memory lane. :-)

Susan said...

I love your writing, maybe more than the last photo. :)

You look pretty darn cute pregnant too! :)

Here's hoping you get to go soon-you are very organized. I'm not that organized, but I also don't think we're going anytime soon. I'm busy redoing documents, getting ready for the 4th grade field trip to St Augustine (no open toed shoes, no tank tops, no beer, and NO TALKING when the tour guide is talking-and they all stared at me when they told us this...WHATEVER!!!)

I have a fairly new HP laptop that we got for this trip (I love my pc best) and it has Vista too. It's different, but i make myself use it so i can get used to it. :)

Kaz Blog Reader said...

You have summed up the emotions & feelings at this stage of the journey beautifully.
-Julie

Chris & Christy said...

That was the funniest lemonade stand photo ever, I thought, no way, that can't be Frank. Thank you for the disclaimer thtat it is in fact Borat. :)

Christy

Kim said...

Ahhahahaha - that is the funniest photo ever!

Doing the "LOI" dance for you and a few others! :)

Kim

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Very nice. " jay-quee."

Heidi Biglin

Kaz Blog Reader said...

I love the photo of the lemonade stand! I got a new dell about 5 months ago and had them put Windows XP on it instead of Vista. I've not met anyone who likes Vista.
Julie

Angela said...

OH MY! I think that photo is burned in my brain. I can still see it when I close my eyes. LOL (and I REALLY am laughing out loud)! I don't think I have ever seen such a "bathing suit."

It sounds like you could not be any more enthusiastic or ready! I am waiting for the day when I can type "GODSPEED!" in this little old comment box.

Thad and Ann said...

LOL, the pic it too funny!! :) I hope you get your LOI soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Regina,I'm finally catching up on blogs ;-) Just so you know, I have a Dell with Windows Vista and it works just fine here. I'm sure you'll be okay. I can type in Skype but haven't tried talking yet. I knew the video cam would be too much with dial up so I brought headphones. Will let you know!

Kelly and Sne said...

You guys are SO ready! Time to induce - this one's about to pop! We're also back in 'action' mode as we've let some things slip (yes, housecleaning is probably at the top of the list). We also had to re-do a bunch of paperwork and we're hoping to get some of the stuff back in time...

Does Frank hire out? If we have to spend more than 8 weeks over there we'll need a lemonade stand too. The photo is hilarious!

Unknown said...

Ahhhh! My eyes...they burn....Frank, that is wrong in so many ways.

Devin