Thursday, April 10, 2008

Open

Things have been quiet on the blogfront here, but that’s because there has been a happy storm brewing in the Ruopoli house!

We have been told that we should be leaving for Kazakhstan within 3-4 weeks!!!

Yes, this is a little sooner than expected, but we were told on Monday that babies in our requested age range won’t be off the Aqtobe registry until this summer. (I was prepared to hear this because I had read hints of it on another blog weeks ago.) So Frank and I did some soul searching and some research, and we decided to expand our parameters and go meet the children who are available now at the baby house.

There were a lot of unusual factors going into this decision. We took our time making it, and we both have a really good feeling about this unexpected twist! We do have a safety net in case none of the available children are right for us; Little Miracles can transfer us to another region if necessary. But of course we don’t want to do that, and it is not our intention. That would mean more time and more expenses – financial, emotional and physical – with still no guarantees. Certainly not something we want to put ourselves through.

We're growing more excited with each passing day! The morning after we made our decision I opened an e-mail from my blogger friend, Susan. She said that she dreamed we were going to arrive in Kaz on April 24th. That date might be a little early, but you never know ... Susan just might have her mojo working! She said that in her dream we actually went to her house in Florida and Andrea met us there (from Chicago) to drive us to the airport, and I packed only 3 outfits. I’m not sure which is more far-fetched, a rendezvous in Florida or me taking only 3 outfits!

So that’s the story, morning glories. Line up now for tickets to "Adventures with Frank and Regina." It’ll only cost you a few mouse clicks and a few minutes a day. Step right up and see two ordinary human beings enter the surreal and unpredictable final phase of Kazakhstan adoption. See if they can employ superhuman strength, astounding patience and dogged determination, like all the families who've gone before them...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Habibi,

The Word of the Day is: Open

Say it with me… Oh–pen!

It’s a beautiful word, isn’t it? So positive, promising and full of possibilities. It flows from the mouths of optimists and believers. It creates a bridge to many exciting other universes. It lets you hop aboard life’s most exhilarating joy rides and see the world through many colors of glasses, including the crystal clear ones.

Open is a close relative of Yes, and Beauty and Hope and also of Love. They often hang out together, and conspire on all sorts of creative projects designed to bring about good things.

I hope you say this word often during your lifetime, and that it is a true reflection of your heart and spirit. Openness has immense power to topple the walls in your mind and allow the full realm of possibilities to be revealed.

26 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Regina & Frank...whew, it's nice to know a time frame to work off of unstead of the unknown or guessing.

Your twist in age range is an unexpected surprise. Probably even to yourselves somewhat. But I can understand. We have gone through a few changes in our adoption process. It seems as it gets down to the wire that all of a sudden we've made peace with new decisions - like a light bulb went off. We just had to go through stuff to figure things out. I don't know if I'm making sense...still fuzzy from sleep :)

I love that Susan has vivid fun dreams (I'm the same way). I should tell her to dream about us to see what she comes up with!

Congrats to you two. I can't wait to see the little one who was meant to be Habibi!! Pretty exciting!

Eileen

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Great news! We met our son when he was 14 months old, and he came home at 16 months. It was such a great age! So if increasing your age limit for little Habibi is part of your plan, kudos to you!

Can't wait to here your actual travel date!

Lisa

Sandi said...

Whoo hoo, what great news. I am glad you guys had a chance to realize what it is that is important and what you want, and that LMI can help you make those dreams come true.

4-5 weeks is much closer then you realize, I hope you've been shopping and have started packing. I can not to follow your adventures.

Sandi

Catalina said...

Great, great news! I am glad you decided to be more open, I always believed everything happens with a reason! We asked for a healthy girl less than 2 (either Caucasian or Kazakh, but prefered Kazakh), and before our departure were told we are going to meet a 18 months old Kazakh girl (which we think is Maia - the sweet girl adopted by Kristen a week before our arrival). Neither number, sex and race of children did not match with our expectations, but we are happier than ever.

Doesn`t feel great when you expect something good to hapen later rather then sooner, and when you hear you are going to meet your child maybe in a month!!! From now on, time will just fly and
hopefully Susan`s dream will come true as well (maybe you will be there by April 24th). Of course, is very hard to believe the 3 outfits part :). Maybe there is a zero at the end of 3 that she forgot to tell you about?
I am going to say a prayer today for Ruopoli family!!

Amy said...

Wow - big surprise! I loved having dinner with you and Frank and know the stress of the anticipation was weighing on both of your minds. I am sure you guys will find the child you are meant to bring home and will love them unabashedly, no matter how old they are! Go with your gut and your heart and you will never go wrong. Can't wait to follow along and of course, to meet the infamous Haibibi in person. I love your letter to Haibibi...just beautiful...

marsrob said...

Oh my goodness you'll be gone so soon!!! What an incredible turn of events. You guys are amazing. And yes, it always help to know that LMI won't send you home without a child. That always made us feel so much better - they are willing to transfer you to another region if necessary...which is not ideal and certainly not preferred, but it felt to us like an excellent psychological safety net. WE CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO GO!!! HOORAY!!!! WOW.

Kim said...

Great for you both! Josh wasn't in our original parameters but having him home now, we would not change a thing. I do hope Susan is right! Very excited for you.

Kim

Nell said...

My birthday is April 24th, so I vote for that as blast off day! How wonderful! I actually had a very vivid dream last weekend that you guys had heard and immediately left and that I hadn't gotten a chance to email Frank and wish you guys good luck. I was honestly surprised and thought there was something wrong with the internet when I got in on Monday and your blog said nothing about leaving. But this is great news!

Open! Open ! Open!

Stephanie and Gary said...

How exciting to hear this news! When you make decisions with an open heart, they are always the right ones. Your joy is palpable! The right child will be waiting for you at the end of your journey --- rather, for the *beginning* of your lifelong journey as a family. You are absolutely on the express bus ;-)
Steph

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news!!! I can't wait to follow along to meet your beautiful habibi. ;-)
Shannon

Kaz Blog Reader said...

That is exciting and wonderful news!!! I hope the next 3 weeks fly by!!!

Holly and Dean

Jennifer said...

Wow!! 3-4 weeks!! Holy cow! I'm so excited for you- both in time to travel and for expanding your parameters. Wow, wow, wow.

The next couple weeks are going to FLY by! May 1 will roll around and you'll think, "Where did April go?!"

Good luck with all the visa work and packing!

Thad and Ann said...

oh, how exciting!!! We were had planned to go to Aqtobe the first time around & we ended up in Astana. I totally believe we all have the kids meant for us.

Susan's dream cracks me up..so funny. :) I took 4 outfits & I was tired of them by the time we left.

Can't wait to see you two in Kaz. :)

Amy said...

Such great news!!! Can't wait to read along as you go on your journey!!! I am getting out my pom poms to cheer you both on!!!!

Susan said...

It's me...DREAMWEAVER. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS! I cannot wait to meet Habibi with you-no matter what his or her age. Toddlers are AWFULLY ADORABLE! :)

love to you guys..and Peace. :)

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Wow - I didn't check in yesterday so just read the great news! Very exciting and wonderful! Enjoy the last few weeks at home - trust me, especially enjoy the ability to take long, hot showers - and pack up those bags!!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Thanks for sharing such exciting news. We will be so happy to follow your journey! Congratulations -- you are one step closer. And, what a beautiful time to be traveling! Looking forward to hearing more.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I cannot wait to follow along with Adventures with Frank and Regina! Habibi is waiting and you are going to get him or her VERY SOON! I can't wait to watch it unfold...

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Yay - the next month will FLY - trust me. I am excited to hear that your hearts were prompted to perhaps meet a child older than your original petition. The fact that you both have a peace about it & are happy is a great thing! You will meet the child that you are the right parents for. We didn't realize that our son would already be nearly 3 - but now we can't imagine it any other way.

Blessings!
Julie

Kelly and Sne said...

Wow, I guess that means we really WILL be able to hang out together in Almaty b/c that is approximately our time frame too (give our take a few days as last week the Semey coordinator said that our LOI was being signed off on 'very soon' then sent for the reg. numbers - probably where yours is now). I almost wonder in retrospect whether we shouldn't have done the same... You know, I think that many times slightly older children are preferred as they seem to be showing more personality - and more love - at that age. At any age, it is all about how you feel about it and it sound like you are taking the path of your heart!

Teresa said...

This is exciting news!!! Packing shouldn't take too long as you are only taking 3 outfits ;)

Alysa said...

Congratulations Regina and Frank and the soon to be Habibi! Your excitement just leaps off the page. It will be an incredible time for you and I can't wait to follow along on your adventure.

Big cyber hugs!
Alysa

Anonymous said...

As our Braden gets ready to celebrate his 2nd birthday on the 29th, we will be thinking of you traveling in that timeframe. I am so thrilled for you!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

BTW, we were given our region assignment last Monday, and our LOIs arrived yesterday (Friday). I just sent our Visa applications via FedEx today for DC arrival this Monday. We are tentatively slated to leave this Friday. From region assignment to travel will likely be 11 days. So, if you need anyone to commisserate with regarding scrambling to leave in a short amount of time, drop me an email! :-) Good luck! I know you'll be fine!!!

Sam said...

THis is very exciting!!! congrats on your big decision!

Chris & Christy said...

So I thought that I was being so smart and saved your blog under my Aqtobe family blogs.....which I haven't checked in awhile since most of the families are since home and emailing directly. Then I was reading Alysa's blog and saw your comment, clicked on your name, went to your blog and wallah, here I am reading that you should be leaving to my beloved Aqtobe in a couple weeks! I am so pumped! I can't wait to read about your travels!!!! Please tell Aina and Bayana and Gulnara Hi for Z and I. We think of them often and have photos of all 3 of them up in Z's room. :)

Regarding Susan's dream, that girl seems to have certainly vivid, and sometimes strange, dreams. I sure hope she is right. April 24th is just around the corner.

Can't Wait - Can't Wait!!!!

xoxo.
Christy and Z