Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Threshold

Anthropologists have a word for the state of being that occurs in transitional moments: Liminality, from the Latin word limen, meaning “threshold.”

At liminal times we are moving out of “here” but are not yet “there.” When standing on a threshold we look back at the past as we prepare ourselves for an uncharted future. In the words of a proverb, “The most difficult mountain to cross is the threshold.”

In all of life’s natural passages, we know in our hearts when that liminal time is upon us. In becoming a parent through adoption, this liminal time is often extended for unnatural and uncomfortable amounts of time.


Being at this threshold of parenthood is thrilling, but it's hard when you have emotionally crossed over, yet the calendar and government agencies are the ones in control of the matters at hand.


We do what we can to sustain ourselves until we’re allowed to pass through. Planning for the emotional and practical needs of family life helps pass the time. Readying ourselves has required an enormous amount of both inner and outer tending, including consciously letting go of the self-centeredness of the past, readying ourselves to focus our energy on our child.


There have been several times during the past few months that I have thought, “It wasn’t supposed to be this hard.” Along our adoption journey there have been some tough decisions that needed to be made, which we haven’t shared with anyone but our closest circle. Even though I’m a realist, I sometimes feel disappointed that our yellow brick road has not been made of pure gold. I didn't want to feel negative feelings associated with such a joyous journey.


But what is a negative feeling anyway? I am reminded of a quote from Shakespeare’s Hamlet, which says “There is nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so.” (How awful that Mr. Smith broke his rib. But how lucky because the x-rays detected the lung cancer early. How sad that he had to miss the party because of his chemo. But how fortunate because he didn’t get killed in the fire at the clubhouse...)


I recently wrote to a friend who was experiencing some “bad” emotions that during rough times we should try to remember that light can only be understood in relation to darkness, movement in relationship to stillness, and creation in relation to destruction and decay. It is the destructive carving of a piece of wood that creates the beautiful bowl. In essence, we can't feel joy, love, happiness, serenity and bliss without also feeling sadness, frustration, fear, turmoil and pain. They simply could not exist without the other. So we should try to be grateful for the "bad" stuff because it allows us to experience the good. They are the same thing, turned inside out and on opposite ends of the same spectrum.



Yes, easier philosophized than done.


16 comments:

Laura said...

Well written, and just what I needed to read today. We learned this morning that we should travel in May, a month after we thought we would. Thanks for the emotional boost. You Rock!

Amy said...

You really must put all of these beautiful entries into a book about the adoption journey. You are feeling what so many out there are feeling, but you have such a beautiful, unique way of expressing it. You are so right that "good" things often go hand in hand with "bad" and without the life experiences of BOTH, we would not grow and evolve as individuals, as parents, as husband and wife, as children, as siblings and so on. I am so glad to call you my friend and that I am here to follow along in this journey with you and Frank. Hard to imagine those carefree days of hanging out dancing at East Bay back in the day, isn't it??

marsrob said...

It truly is easier said than done - and easier to see how the "bad" stuff works out in the end - in retrospect! I put myself through such agony over years of infertility and hated myself so much and thought so many awful thoughts along the way about what it must mean about me - only to find out that it was worth all of the pain to get to adoption and to Aila...and now, in retrospect, I wish I could whisper in the ear of the woman I was when I was suffering and tell her that it is all worth everything and not to worry...but it just doesn't work that way. Very frustrating. Anyways, this is about you, not me!!! You are really going through a hard time with the whole waiting thing - and yes, some unexpected things have happened and maybe years down the road it will all have seemed worth it - but it does suck while it happens and I wish your road could have been paved in gold as well. I wish all of ours could be. But such is life, right? And yes, I do think we appreciate the beauty so much more once we have experienced the yukki and ugly stuff. In any case, let's get that LOI and get you over there for goodness sakes!

Susan said...

Regina-you are truly a gifted writer. You are smart, and amazing, and you, my dear, will be a WONDERFUL MOTHER!

This journey is very hard-no doubt about it. But, you are right-if it was easy--then it wouldn't seem so "worth it" in the end. Some of what I consider my "most valued accomplishments" were NOT easy and NOT paved with gold. If they were, then I suppose the victory would not have been nearly so sweet.

"Liminal times" are certainly NOT easy. Let's put our life on hold for a few months, shall we? I love your words, and your cool photo you posted.

One thing that HAS been gold is the unanticipated support and freindships cultivated in this "blogging" atmosphere we've created.
I have my church friends, my work friends, my school friends, my running friends, and my blog adoption friends. I love all of you so much! :)

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Regina, you articulate the ups and downs and sideways of life perfectly. As the resident Nana-blog lurker, who has gone through multitudes of ups and downs, I can only offer one thing more to what you beautifully wrote: when life is the hardest, the blackest...while you are slogging through it seek out something of beauty - it could be a flower, a sunset, a pretty baby and concentrate on appreciate just that. Seek something of beauty to appreciate every day, again and again, and soon the dark in life will begin to lighten and move you towards your goal. All the best, Trudi

Catalina said...

All I can say, Wow!! Little Habibi will be so lucky, not only she will have great parents, but also very talented ones. You really should write your memories in a book, Habibi will be very proud of you.

Sam said...

Not to be last minute but i will be in raleigh from friday morning (10 am) until sunday afternoon (3)...in case you are around..i dont know how far it is i suck at geography

Kelly and Sne said...

Ooo, that's so deep! I agree and think this is what I was trying to say (although you said it so much more eloquently) when I blogged about needing to go through the negative to get to the positive (the 'rite of passage'). Like the rainbow after the storm. But you two are so close to traveling and will have your "pot of gold" at the end of your own personal rainbow very very soon!

Kelly and Sne said...

Oh, I also have to add Sne's and my shared philosophy as it seems like you two share it as well:

"The berries are always sweetest at the top of the mountiain."

We think it is also fitting for an international adoption journey which can feel like you are climbing a mountain. We'll have to "climb" to the top of Koktobe in Almaty together with our children this Summer to symbolize the philosophy - and then break out the berries and champagne!

Anonymous said...

Great post. The wait sucks. The kids will be worth it. But the wait (and the process) sucks. Gosh I can't wait for you to get there!
Shannon

Alysa said...

I can't say it any better than others have in prior comments. So, ditto. And exactly what I needed to hear as well. Write a book! Incredible insight and beautiful words. Might just quote you in my blog! ;)

That threshold and those berries are now in sight. Celebrate the journey of parenthood thus far and know it has only (just barely) begun.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

It is 100% true that the hard, frustrating times make the good that eventually comes so much sweeter. I, too, wish your yellow brick road was paved in gold, but just think about how wonderful it will be when you finally get to Emerald City and meet little Habibi. All the waiting, the tears, the paperwork, and the frustrating will be suddenly lifted out of your head and your hearts will be so filled with happiness and love, these frustrating times will be hard to even remember. But in the meantime, it does stink! It's so hard to be at the mercy of a foreign government, huh???

Angela said...

This reminds me of Gibran's "Joy and Sorrow."

Someone once told be to try to enjoy the time before something happens because it is a state of grace. I have never forgotten that. Have I always lived it? Nope. But, I try.

Stephanie and Gary said...

Beautiful sentiments to express these trying times. You taught me something too.

Steph

Jennifer said...

How very, very true. I try to keep perspective by knowing that each difficult experience is only temporary and that it exists to teach me something. Each relationship, each event, each struggle is all part of molding me into a better person. Keeping in mind the bigger picture and trying to figure out what the benefit of of each difficult situation is, sometimes is fun, and often times keeps me sane. :-)

Chris & Christy said...

Awesome post! You are oh so right, but it is so hard to keep in such positive prospective sometimes.

You mentioned that you were starting to reshape your world to get ready for your little one, and having to let go of the idea that everything has been about you (self centeredness as you put it) is a bit challenging. I remember when my sister bought a home, she never bought anything for her after that, it was all about decorating her home and I thought she was crazy. Didn't she want more shoes? More trendy clothes? A new hairdo or a facial? Nope, just blinds and rugs and pictures and boring stuff. And then I bought a home and understood. And then my sister had kids, and the home and herself went to 2nd and 3rd place, and again I thought she was crazy. She wouldn't buy herself the dress that she was dying to have, instead she bought the boys new pajamas. And now, once again, I so understand. I guess it is an easier adjustment to make once the little ones are with you, it seems so obvious and natural to put them before everything else. No more Martini nights for me, at least not for quite some time. Ugh! That one is hard. :)

Christy and Z from Aqtobe