Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Restless

Our elusive LOI is still MIA.

Maybe the MOE has PMS and needs some TLC. Or maybe a BLT. Perhaps even an EKG. I won't call them an SOB or they will just LOL and send our LOI off to RIP with the KGB. Then OMG, we would be SOL!

This Friday is Victory Day in Kazakhstan, and we all know by now that a Kaz holiday never lasts for just one day. So I think we are going to definitely be on the longer side of the “3 to 4 weeks” time estimate. We’ve been on the long side of every time estimate at every stage of this process so far, so I guess this wouldn’t be any different. (Do I sound whiny? I don’t mean to. I’m not the whiny type, but ….. Waaahhh! There, it’s out of my system and we can proceed with today’s regularly scheduled blog.)

Have you seen those advertisements for Restless Leg Syndrome? Well, I think I have Restless Mind Syndrome. Or maybe it’s Restless Heart Syndrome. I’m usually a champion sleeper (seriously, I could win awards) but not so much the last few nights. I guess my mind is just doing the best it can to manage the flurry of thoughts whirling around in it lately. I’ll be alright, but I wish we could just plug ourselves into a charger to refresh. That could be a good use of that residual belly button of ours.

Despite being short on sleep, we had a great weekend. A highlight was attending an awards ceremony for our 9-year old niece, Gabrielle, whose artwork was selected to adorn the halls of MUSC Children’s Hospital for a year! It’s part of their “Happy Halls” program. The ceremony was upstairs at the MUSC Storm Eye Institute, where she and the other winners received a blue ribbon and a gift card. Then we went to the lobby for a reception and viewing of all the winning art. This is such a neat program and we were so proud of her. Gabby’s piece was a really cool, abstract drawing of birds, which was created with markers.


Another highlight of our weekend was taking a day trip to two of our favorite, best kept secret places: Old Santee Canal Park and Mepkin Abbey (a former plantation.) Both places are so tranquil and full of marvelous views. It really does the spirit good to connect with the natural world. Frank and I love taking nature walks, canoeing, camping, swimming, exploring, etc. South Carolina is an excellent state for being outdoors. There is such amazing bio-diversity, from the mountains in the upstate all the way down here at the coast. There are many rivers, lakes, streams, swamps, estuaries, islands, beaches and a huge variety of wildlife. We are especially looking forward to many fun family adventures al fresco. It will be exciting to help Habibi discover the fascinating world we live in.


On another note, my employer has finalized their adoption benefit package. It is a reimbursement program that is pretty fair and well thought out. I am very pleased and thankful that they instituted a formal policy. I don't think I ever really mentioned my day job in the blog. Our jazz band is just for fun and extra money, but my full time job is actually something I enjoy very much as well. I work for one of the largest decorative home lighting companies in the US (advertising copywriter, newsletter editor, media relations, public relations, design trend research, corporate communications, script writing, product naming, etc.) It's enjoyable, creative, and the people are great.

For those who asked about the nursery walls from the last post, they have a handpainted faux finish. I started with an orange base and dabbed on a glaze of brown using cotton fabric. I let it dry 90%, and then lightly swept the surface with a soft, wide brush to blur it a bit. (New blog readers can see more nursery photos from my "The Room" post in back September.)

I have lots more ramblings, but I'm going to try to get some z's now, before another strange acronym storm moves into this restless head of mine. Goodnight and sweet dreams.


16 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Beautiful photo of the trees by the river! As a flight attendant I had layovers in Charleston and fell in love. I have always wanted to go back but this time with Pat. I know he'd love it too!

THE WAIT...yep it seems that this is the hardest part. We thought that doing the paperwork was pain but the wait is where the true pain comes into play.

I can't wait for you to get your LOI from KAZ :)

Hugs, Eileen

Sandi said...

Ok I am totally cracking up. LMAO as I read your blog. The last part of waiting sucks, how I remember. And sleep yeah I totally can relate, I swear I never wake up during the night, but while i waited for my LOI and to travel my mind had a mind of its own. I had not had one full night sleep in over a month and boy it stunk. However, you will sleep great on the flighs over :) at least I did.

Fingers and toes crossed you LOI arrives soon.

Sandi

Susan said...

Great post..and man, can I relate!! I was not sleeping well at all last week, and we're not even close to our LOI. My worry was that we'll never even get to go and what my plan B was going to be. Going away to the church retreat did me wonders--as it sounds like your wonderful weekend did for you. Sean and I canoed on the lake and saw big scary Gators. actually, I didn't see it because I would have freaked, but joe was watching from the shore and said we were right near it!

Your niece's artwork was awesome!!!

I think not only are we getting to redo our entire dossier, but perhaps our homestudy as well! Oh well, I am so bored, so I needed something to worry about. HA! not!!

We must keep our sense of humor about us and our hope alive or I will need much more than my beer and wine to keep me going! :)

I hope you hear news soon and congrats on the job benefits. That is awesome!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

So hopefully the good news is this--- our friends who traveled with us had a really bumpy process waiting to travel, but once they finally got to Kaz, it was smooth sailing. We were the exact opposite. Our coordinator kept telling us, everyone had bumps on one end or the other. So hopefully this just means all of your bumps are here in America, and by the time you leave for Kaz, it will be SMOOTH SAILING for Team Ruopoli!!!

marsrob said...

I sure hope that LOI comes soon! Oy, those holidays are crazy!

That is a cute photo of the little one and her artwork and award!

You are hilarious. That first paragraph is PRICELESS.

Thad and Ann said...

LOL LOVE the first paragraph!! Too funny.

I'm serious, Kaz has gotten insane, crazy, BIG PITA in the last 2 years. I can't believe the crazy waits that are going on.

The picture of your niece is so cute, way to go Gabrielle!! She did a great job.

I hope you get your LOI soon!

Stephanie and Gary said...

I feel the way I did for Catalina, checking daily to see your progress, wishing for your LOI too. Thinking of you and wishing you smooth sailing on the other side, as Sara said!
Best,
STeph

AJ said...

You left out the one acronym that really matters here - the MFA and DOE!!!

Here's hoping for a speedy LOI right along with you.

LOL,
AJ :).

Teresa said...

Hang in there, hopefully it shouldn't be much longer!!! It certainly helps that you are keeping your sense of humor - - that will become invaluable as a parent!

The Kieffers said...

Remeber you can always come up to Charlotte for a Kaz cutie fix. If you are worried about sounding whiny Rhys can show you what it really sounds and looks like. HELLO terrible two's!!!!
Just for your FYI when you totally and completely loose all faith your LOI will happen. This happenened to us the first time and a few of our other friends that had thoughts of pulling out or changing gender or age. Not hoping you suffer anymore, just know it is ok (maybe even good)that you are frustrated. All good things are worth the wait.
I am sorry you are not sleeping, but those are very long flights long layovers and lots of down time when you get to Kaz. You will catch up quickly. If you have a hard time sleeping in Kaz remember they don't put that vodka shot glass at your lunch table for nothing. Maybe you could go ahead and start praticing your Vodka drinking skills.

Best Wishes we think of you often,
The Kieffer's

Anonymous said...

I think we are all losing it! The strange thing is all this frigging red tape is fueling my determination. A weaker sole would have quit a long time ago!

Gabby, girlfriend! You are good! Lock up the boys she's adorable!

Catalina said...

dear Regina,
I dont feel you are whiny at all and you are very much entitled to have restless mind until you get your LOI. Our friends moved from NY to South Carolina and they are so happy, they also love outdoors and they said there are plenty of oportunities.
PS I love the art of your niece. She is very talented.

Angela said...

You are seriously cracking me up! I know the wait is hard, but you are on Kaz time now and things move either very quickly or extremely slow. One minute nothing...poke, poke, poke; then they expect everything done in a flash. Hoping your LOI comes VERY soon!

Nell said...

Get da baby. Get da baby. Get daaaa baaaaaby!

Ok, they need to stop celebrating until they've given you something to celebrate about.

I hereby decree it. By the... ummm ... power vested in me. Yeah. That's it.

Karla said...

Wow!!!! Your niece's art is fabulous. I'm shocked it's not for sale in some art gallery already! And she is a beautiful little girl. Does she get her beauty from her mother? She must... Ha ha ha. Okay - I'll fess up - I'm the baby's mama!
So, I'm a little bias. Thanks so much for joining us for the exhibit/award-presentation. She loved having you both there! Can't wait to bring home the framed art!
By the way, I meant to tell you, I ordered AND received our Kaz Cookbook! It is super awesome!!! The girls and I have picked out some great recipes already, but more than that...it is full of other tidbits and conversion charts, etc. It's really neat! I hope you ordered one, too...we never talked about it!!!! Funny.
Anyway, keep me in the loop about the LOI - I know you will...

Amy said...

I love your post and it shows you are somehow managing to keep your sense of humor. When all else fails, LAUGH, I always say. I am glad you guys found a way to unwind this weekend and regroup for the next phase of your journey. I am finding myself checking in at least twice a day to see if there is any news! We leave for Europe on June 10th and I am sure you will already be in Kaz cozied in your apartment with Haibibi by then.

Let me know when you get that LOI...I am sure it will be when you least expect it.