Saturday, May 10, 2008

Still Sinking In

We leave in FOUR days.

Our flight departs this Wednesday, May 14. Yes, we had to pay for the whole seat, even though we'll only need the edge!

We are flying KLM/Northwest from Charleston to Memphis to Amsterdam to Almaty. We will buy our tickets to Aqtobe after we land in Almaty. It will be about 35-40 total hours of travel time!

We have a long layover in Amsterdam, so we might take the train into the city for a few hours. Lots of people do this because the train leaves right from the airport and takes you to city center in 15 minutes, and there are lockers at the airport to store your carry-ons. Cool!

The LOI call came at 10:06 am Thursday (my morning theory was correct!) I was on the phone with a friend, and running late for a 10:00 meeting. When I answered all I heard was Andrea’s familiar voice streaming “It’s here it’s here it’s here it’s here it’s here it’s here!!!!” What a rush.

After many happy tears and a brief conversation with her, I started to call Frank. I remembered that I had our small digital camera with me, which has a video function. I grabbed it out of my purse and sat it down on the desk, pressed "record" and dialed. Frank had no idea I was recording. He was actually at home from work, not feeling well. I wasn't really planning on sharing this intimate moment with the world, but then I reconsidered because, as they say, a joy shared is only multiplied. I'm glad I did. :-)

I couldn’t update the blog until 8:30 pm. I had a crazy day with many calls, preparations and happy dances with my co-workers, who have been so supportive (especially you Marlene... mwah!) I also had to run some errands after work, and once I got home it took a little time to edit the video (I cut out about half of our conversation.)

So here we are… in our last weekend at home as a family of two. I feel like we should be having a wild and crazy weekend...dancing, drinking, and getting frisky in every room of the house! We considered it last night, but took a nap instead. Hey, it was an exhausting day!!! ;-) I think we’re ready for the parental lifestyle.

Thank you everyone for all the loving support and well wishes in your comments, calls and e-mails. You are so uplifting! You have enriched this experience for us more than you will ever know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Habibi,


I've been wondering a lot about our first meeting. Will we just know that you are our child? Will we fall in love with you at first sight, or will it take a little while longer? That is how it was when your papa and I first met. Sure, we each thought the other was cute, but only after a few weeks of really knowing each other did the love bug hit us like a ton of heart-shaped bricks. And that was the best thing that has ever happened to us.

How will it all go down? Will you take one look at us and burst into tears? Or will we be the ones who burst into tears? Will you be frozen with fear? Maybe we will be the ones who freeze up. Will you be curious and interested, or suspicious and wary?

I wonder what your laugh sounds like. I wonder if you like music ... bananas ... bubbles … books ... Are you laid back and cuddly, or boisterous and inquisitive? Maybe a little of both. What tickles your funny bone? How did you get to where you are? Are you ready to be loved? Will it take a little convincing, or a lot?

The answers to these questions and thousands more will be answered soon. We will try not to put too much pressure on you. After all, you're only a little munchkin who is doing the best you can to cope with the strange emptiness you feel inside, despite a comfortable routine and having people around you who sincerely care about you. To you, we will just be two wide-eyed giants who talk funny. But we are prepared to do what it takes to earn your trust, little by little, and teach you how to love and be loved in a whole new kind of way.

21 comments:

Sandi said...

4 days... man they are gonna fly by. I think you should definitely go out and celebrate because life as you know it going to change drastically. All for the better of course. I can not believe that you will be in your childs region in less then a week. So amazing.

I wish you calm over the next few days as you prepare for your trip of a lifetime.

May habibi realize he/she is getting amazing parents.

Hugs.. Sandi

Patrick & Eileen said...

You two are going to be wonderful parents! We can't wait to hear about the first time you meet Habibi.

Enjoy your last weekend - we had a laugh about you two taking a nap instead of...well you know :) Time for that!!

I could say a million things but you know we're excited for you guys.

Ciao,
Eileen & Pat

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Your letter to Habibi is incredible - my cheeks are still wet with tears as I write this. You have such a style and spirit, and I know that you, Frank and Habibi will share so many wonderful gifts of moments, memories, experiences, and emotions as the next few months unite you as a family. We will be following, supporting, and (thankfully) sharing in your journey. Take Care.

Lots of Love,
Steve, KJ, and Tougy

Susan said...

I am SO filled with joy and anticipation for you guys! I am so glad you shared your "intimate moment" with us. It was so amazing to hear the emotion in your voice. :)

Habibi is going to be a very loved lil munchkin.

I am so excited for you guys and cannot WAIT to follow along. :)

Alysa said...

I have just got to remember to make sure I have Kleenex when I read your posts! Your letter to Habibi is so sweet. S/he is a lucky child to be getting the two of you to love and raise him/her.

Good luck with your preparations. You still have a few more days to be the carefree couple -- enjoy! ;)

Thad and Ann said...

LOL, yeah you better enjoy all the frisky moments, kids kinda have a way of cramping that a little. :)
I'm so glad you shared the video, it was so sweet! Can't wait to see you holding Habibi & hear all about him/her.

Kim said...

Too tired?!? Yes, you are definitely ready for parenthood! :-) Enjoy your last weekend! I am so happy for you both.

Kim

The Kieffers said...

If you are in Almaty for the day before heading out, go to Mad Murphy's. It's an Irish Pub, and likely the last chance for a burger and fries for some time (seriously take advantage). We are so happy for you. Best of luck!

Chris & Christy said...

You are the best blogger! Your posts really get me, truly they do! I love your letter to little Habib. How true that letter was. Those are absolutely the feelings that you do have and the things that you do wonder about.

I was a bit perplexed reading your first paragraph. I wondered why on earth you only needed part of a seat........and then I got it. :) no, not a blond moment, just took some reading on to understand. I loved it! Too Funny!

4 more days! :) Get some good sleep, get frisky all over the house (no more naps) and then you are off to see Habib!

:) Christy

Sam said...

Very very exciting! you and kelly and sne will all be over there together!!! How cool (i dont know what the region is for them though!)
congrats and very excited to read on.....

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you guys are actually going. I mean FINALLY! Finally you are REALLY going. REALLY!

I love the line about only needing the edge of the seat.

I'm a nervous wreck writing this!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Yay, it is finally here! I'm in tears over your letter. I can't wait to see you guys over there meeting Habibi. Happy Mother's Day :)

Amy said...

Drink lots of water during your flights to combat the jet lag. Don't have any alcohol. There are also tours of Amsterdam you can take as well. There is a booth in the airport. You put your stuff in a locker and they cart you around to Amsterdam in a bus and hit the main spots, the country, etc. I took a short one, 2 hours, during my second trip in to Kaz. Lots of fun. Stress free. If I had had more time would have wanted to stop by the Anne Frank house - think you need reservations for that one. Have a great flight(s) and we all will be here watching as you become Mom and Dad!!!

Anonymous said...

You're on your way, you're on your day!! I'm so excited!! (can you tell?)

Safe travels, friends, and I'll "see you on the flip side"
Love, Shannon

Kelly and Sne said...

Be sure you take time out of the 'to-do's' to celebrate this weekend! We almost missed the pre-holiday window to get our visa too. Anne had to call them and 'encourage' them to process it same day and get the fedex back to us in time. I'm impressed that they're that responsive.

We're in Amsterdam now and taking advantage of the high speed internet and catching up with everything we missed in our whirlwind of preparations. The airport is great and easy to get around - you'll have a great time! Just stay out of the "coffee shops" (actually marijuana dens) or they may not let you back on the plane!

I share your feelings about your Habibi and we are feeling a little apprehensive about meeting our LB. When faced with a choice of 2-3 children, will we know our child? What a concept!

Best of luck with the final preparations - enjoy! And see you soon here in Kaz-land!

cindy said...

Frank and Regina - you were right to choose the nap!!! My daughter woke me up at 5:30 AM for mother's day this morning, which IS priceless, but gives you an idea of the sleep deficit you will be preparing yourself for! xo, Cindy

Jennifer said...

I loved the letter. It made me tear up! You are so compassionate and understanding.

How is it that something that took so long to get here, is suddenly so soon?! (At least for me- my head is still swimming at the thought of you leaving in a few days!)

I can't wait for Wednesday!

Amy said...

I am so so so excited for you two and I hope you are enjoying every second of this time. I know you are busy with a whirlwind of preparations, but it will all be worth it two days from now. OMG - I can't believe it is finally here!!! Can't wait to follow along and meet your little one. Be safe and know you are loved and miss back in Charleston while you're gone.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

What a wonderful letter. Once again tears are streaming down my face. I think I'd better move the tissue box closer to the computer.

I hope the next few days fly by at lightening speed!

Holly (and Dean)

marsrob said...

wednesday is just around the corner now....we are SOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU TO EMBARK ON THIS NEXT PART OF THE ADVENTURE OF YOUR LIVES!!!!

Karla said...

Thanks for getting me a copy of everything "important" during your visit overseas...I'm glad to be the back-up "gatekeeper" - LOL.
Let me know what else I can do to assist in making your departure as easy as possible. We love ya!!! See you tonight for our hugs and kisses farewell... Your 4 days are up!