Friday, August 22, 2008

Pitter Patter

There is the most beautiful music in our home. It's the sound of little feet pitter pattering on the floor, toys playing their sweet songs and our son's giggles echoing through the rooms. We are home!!!

Milo was a super trooper on the flights. He definitely had his moments, but considering his age and the circumstances he did pretty darn well and I was so proud of him! It took plenty of snacks, toys and just a little Benedryl to get us through. He made friends and flirted on every flight, and he slept for about half of the Amsterdam-to-Memphis leg.

The trip was grueling for me. I didn't sleep and desperately wished I had taken a stroller. Milo wasn't much for walking, and I had no way to contain him with the exception of carrying him (which I did 90% of the time) and he is the kind of child who takes off running the second you let go of his hand. He was in rare form in the Amsterdam airport toddler play area during our layover there. He was playing at a full tilt -- almost frantically -- hurting himself often and even running out of the room four times. I've never seen anything like it and it exhausted me even more than the flights. A kind-souled woman in there offered to bring me a cup of coffee. I took her up on it! Later we made our way into the nursery area and I put him in one of the cribs to contain him for a few moments. He stood there and wailed while I regrouped my belongings as quickly as I could. That was a tough layover!

We did have one big scary moment in Memphis when the escalator tried to eat my carry-on bag, which threw us off balance and caused us to fall just a few feet from the top of the escalator. I was holding Milo, who hit his head pretty hard, and I've got some big scrapes and bruises, but we're OK. My bag broke open and the contents went everywhere, right down the steps of the escalator. Luckily we had many good souls around us who helped us out. I did break down crying in the ladies room once we got away from the crowd. I guess the scare broke my spirit for a few moments. I had been strong for so long and I was just plain tired of being strong.

Thankfully there were no unexpected delays, and we pushed through to make it home right on time. We were greeted warmly at the Charleston airport by one very eager papa and many of our family and friends. My mom, dad, sister, niece and nephew came down from Indianapolis to surprise us too! I cannot even express the anticipation and relief I felt walking off that plane. I will never ever forget it. I was practically hyperventilating rounding the corner to the lobby in the airport. I felt joy to the bone. As I approached the group of people I knew was my tribe I couldn't make out faces through my tears, but then Frank stepped out and walked toward me. Our stars realigned the very moment he put his arms around Milo and me. As I sobbed into his soft, warm shoulder all became right in the world again.

Milo remembered Frank, but clung to mommy for a little while. He was shy meeting everyone at first, but after a few minutes of introductions and high fives I put him down so everyone could get a good look at him. They were just staring at him with big smiles and taking pictures, and he was just staring back in his little red, white and blue outfit. Then he suddenly got a grin on his face and started clapping and hamming it up, much to the delight of his admirers! By the time we made it to the luggage carousel he was on fire and being his silly little self. What an entertainer!

Thank you so much to everyone who showed up to the airport so late at night. You were all a beautiful sight for sore eyes and we all felt so supported and loved. It was a moment we will remember forever.

Milo has hit the ground running and has adjusted to his new environment incredibly well. I am amazed! He is such a happy boy and almost always smiling. He is just all around wonderful and is capturing hearts left and right. He has has gotten comfortable quickly and our eating / sleeping / playing routine is going pretty well. He and Frank are right back where they left off too. You can tell he feels the love around him and knows that everything is going to be alright. Sometimes I can't believe he's here. It's just the most incredible feeling, made even better by having our loved ones here to share it with us. Our home feels so full and so complete!

Thank you to everyone out there for following along and sending your good vibes and prayers for our safe journey. They worked! We finally made it through the most excruciating, mind-blowing, unforgettable experience of a lifetime, and our sweetest dreams have come true.

We are a family, and we are now living in the happily ever after. It is the end and the beginning.

Big love,
Frank, Regina and Milo Ruopoli

P.S. Stay tuned for more updates every few weeks!



Notice the fresh scrapes on my left leg from the escalator incident!


After all the freeform car rides in Kaz,
Milo was not happy about being restrained!
But mommy rode in the back with him
and he calmed down for a pleasant trip home.
Yes, HOME!

41 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

WELCOME HOME!!

Well it brought tears to my eyes to read this. I knew it would be a heartwarming meeting when you arrived....but to have so many people there to welcome you two was amazing!

Your scary moment does sound scary!! I'm glad you're okay.

So cute that Milo was a ham (a new little American). I'm very happy that the flights weren't too bad. I was thinking about that and wondering how it went for you. Who knows I may have to go it alone coming home, which I'm not thrilled about.

So, welcome back! Congratulations Ruopoli Family!

Eileen & Pat xxoo

Deb-DnD said...

Aaaaahhhhhh, there is nothing like coming home and what a homecoming it was.

Wiping the tears from my eyes to press submit. I will look forward to see updates on the little man!

Congratulations to you all - Regina, Frank and Milo.

Welcome home Milo! Welcome to your Happy Family!!!!

Deb Murray

Amy said...

So happy for you and glad I could be there to share in your homecoming with so many who love you as I do. Can't wait to spend some more time with you guys when things settle down. Let us know if you need anything.

Big hugs!!

Nell said...

Ok, I'm crying :) I am so insanely happy for you guys, I can't put it into words.

To fly halfway around the world to find the little person that was meant to be with you...and then to actually find him! He's there! And now he's here! And he's yours forever, just like he was supposed to be. You know there's a higher being who just crossed something off their To Do list. "Ok, Milo's back with his true family, now to tackle world peace and making Budweiser taste good."

I can't wait to meet you & him and see the three of you together.

Angela said...

It's been a privilege following your amazing journey! Now, go, have fun, love each other and be the family you were meant to be.

marsrob said...

Tears streaming down my face! OH YOU ARE HOME AND ALL IS WELL IN THE WORLD!!! What a beautiful post and we are so glad you made it home safely and are already enjoying the magnificent experience of having Milo in your life and being a family. We are so thankful you allowed us to share in your journey, and we wish you all a peaceful, joyous, smooth adjustment! WOOHOO!!!

xoxooxox

Sandi said...

Ok I am reading this through a flood of tears running down my face. I feel priveleged to have been able to follow your journey to becoming a family. Milo is a beautiful boy who is going to light up every room he is in. Mom and Dad, congratulations on finding your son. May you have many happy days to come.

welcome home.
sandi

Anonymous said...

Tears here too. Welcome to America Milo. You are really going to like it here.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Welcome to your new life, Milo! We wish you the very best with your new family....Thanks for letting us follow the journey...looking forward to pictures and more great stories! Karen

Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing so freely!! Milo is so lucky to be living not only in the Lowcountry, but to have y'all for his parents! You have truly been around the world and back for him - - how many parents can really say that!?!? I am blessed to have been a part of your journey. I'll check in with you next week, or so..........
ths

Kristi Gruizenga said...

What a fantastic end to a long, remarkable journey... and be assured that the adventure is just beginning! I'm so glad you let all of us bloggers follow along with you and I can't wait to see photos of Milo growing up. You're an inspiration and have taught a lesson on how not to overlook children labeled as "special needs". Thank you!

Love to you and your growing family from:

Kristi and Mieke in Mexico

Karla said...

I am so happy we were able to meet Milo less than 24 hours of landing "home" - he is perfect! What a joy! I can't stop telling anyone who will listen that is is SO FREAKING ADORABLE!!! I just want to eat him up!!!! Gobble gobble! We love him so much!!!! We can't wait to come back and visit again - hoping to see him on his birthday and bring over some presents that he won't care about but know he needs. Ha ha ha. xoxoxo You guys have done a remarkable job bringing him home and letting us all be part of it. We can't wait to continue the journey with you!
Love, KK

Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah! Welcome home - so glad you are home and can't wait to see pictures. You must be exhausted!

Chelsea Gour said...

We can't wait for our turn to meet the newest Ruopoli!

Love from the Gours
Paul, Chelsea, Parker, Noah, Isabel and Claire

Jennifer said...

Tears in the eyes!! I am so glad you are home. WELCOME HOME!!! :-)

You sound so incredibly and truly happy. I bet the reunion between Frank and Milo was the sweetest thing to see.

Lots of love to all three of you!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

YEAH!!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I'm headed back to work with a HUGE smile on my face, tears in my eyes and goosebumps all over!! We are SOOOOOO thrilled for all of you. Know that we are sending you all good vibes from Maine. We are thrilled that your adjustment has gone so well. We are looking forward to seeing photos of the 3 of you together in your life at home. How SWEET it is!!!!

HUGE HUGS!
-KJ, Steve and Tougy

Karla and Ben said...

Welcome home. What a wonderful post. Congratulations!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Tears in AZ too! So happy you're home and Milo was such a trooper. Enjoy life now. It is amazing how the most simple things become so special now that you have Milo home. Enjoy each other! You've waited a long time for this moment. And in time for his big birthday! What a special celebration it will be!!!!
Welcome Home!!!!!
XOXO

PS- I think it might honestly be the very best feeling in the entire world walking through the airport, approaching the point where you know your husband (and Daddy) and family and friends are waiting. I remember it well. Truly, the best!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Beautiful moments - beautiful family.

Lots of love,
Steve, KJ, and Tougy

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Welcome home!! There's truly no place like it!

Alysa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Add me to the list of your blog stalkers crying tears of joy for the Ruopoli family! I'm so happy to hear you are home (and mostly uneventfully) and Milo is his usual little impish self. Puts a big smile on my face, especially as I have had the pleasure of meeting the little imp personally! I don't even know how to put into words what a perfect "fit" Milo seems to be for you and Frank, and both of you for him. I think they call it love and family. I'm incredibly thrilled for all of you. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Big hugs,
Alysa

Julian and Sara said...

Congratulations and Welcome HOME!!

Mel and David said...

Congratulations on making it back from Kaz with Milo! His big adventure has just begun. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Happy said...

The heart-stopping part of your adventure is over - you have found each other and you are home (nice clicking of the heels). The hard part (and the most rewarding part) begins now and will be there for the rest of your lives. The day-to-day stuff from here on out will not be nearly as exciting in some ways as what you experienced prior to the adoption. Sometimes, life can be downright mundane and even depressing. But those of us who have followed your journey don't want it to end simply because that chapter is over. I look forward to reading your stories and the "what's next for Milo and you" parts that are still to come, even when they seem ordinary to you. Thank you for posting, for updating, for sharing the good and the bad (how well I still recall those little floaters in the tub), the joys and the tears. I laugh and cry right along with you. And I look forward to what is yet to come. Happy

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Welcome home! We are so happy for you that you have made it home and that the three of you are now together. I can't wait for those little pitter patter sounds myself.

Enjoy your first days home!
Congratulations,
Lisa and Corey

Stephanie and Gary said...

Hugs and congratulations for one journey completed and the next phase ready to begin!! WELCOME HOME!!!

Tears of happiness here in Brooklyn, NY for you all!

Steph, Gary, EMma and Eden

Kaz Blog Reader said...

WELCOME HOME!! WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY? YOU DREAM HAS COME TRUE AND ALL IS WELL. I LOOK FOWARD TO MILOS ADVENTURES ON YOUR WONDERFUL BLOG. GENA, JAIMIE AND BERIK

Kelly and Sne said...

Yay! Home sweet home! And welcome to it! I'm so happy to hear that you survived the trip home with flying colors and that all is well. It was meant to be all along - you've probably already forgotten what life was like before. Certainly not nearly as fun and complete. I can't wait for updates and photos!

Amy said...

Congratulations Ruopoli Family!!! You made it home with your little guy!! And he slept on the plane!! That is great! Welcome home and enjoy your new lives together!!!

Susan said...

YAY!!! i am feeling so completely and utterly JOY FILLED for you guys!!! I am not suprsied that Milo is happy and adjusting well...not at all.

To see just the pictures of you with him and to feel the love as you wrote your blog, was just so incredible to read and witness.

Have a blast enjoying being a family....oh my gosh, you have me dreaming of our trip home...but we got a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go, but i'm living in the moment, just like you suggested!

congrats Mom and Dad, and MILO!!!

so happy happy happy for you!!
Love you!!

Sam said...

welcome home! glad you are safely back!

Happy said...

Happy 2nd Birthday, Milo Ruopoli.

Karla said...

How great to have been able to celebrate his 2nd birthday HERE at home. So glad the girls were able to be part of it. They can't stop talking about it, of course. Can't wait for our next visit!!! So glad we live even closer to you now!!!
Hugs and Kisses!
KK

Patrick & Eileen said...

Happy Second Birthday Milo!!

Eileen & Pat

Anonymous said...

So, you're MUCH prettier, and WAY smarter, but as I watched Palin's speech last night I wondered who she reminded me of. Then I realized it was you. Have you heard that before?

Hope all is well with Master Milo - I know so much how busy it is but when you get a chance give us an update! ;-)
Shannon

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Hi there, I know you're busy forming your new routines as a family. But, please, post something new! You got me addicted, I need a fix. =-)
Margaret

Catalina said...

congratulations for bringing Milo home, I am catching up with your blog and so happy to read the updates and waiting for more but I know how busy you must be and how your life has changed since you are a family of 3.....
My best wishes,
Catalina

Susan said...

hey, you said you'd update every few weeks. It's every few weeks now.

we need an update.
puhlease!!!

Amy said...

Howdy! How is it going at the Ruopoli residence? The first few months for me were really really hard. Just thinking about them makes me shudder and want to lay down and take a nap. Both Karina and myself were adjusting and that meant that for Karina it was "testing Mommy to her emotional limit time" and for Mommy it was "how can I find a way to get away for an hour every couple of days so I can stay sane." That was the basic theme for about two to three months. There were several days there in the beginning where I just spent the whole day putting her in time out. It was one challenge after another....it was Olympic level testing. And it was exhausting. I wanted to cry half the day and sleep the other half. Definitely start to question what you have done and where the cute kid you bonded with at the orphanage went. After about the three month mark it started to get better. Now at the five month mark things are how I thought they would be back in the beginning. It is like a trial by fire that you have to overcome...the downside is that you are doing this when you are so emotionally and physically and financially exhausted that sometimes it is hard to remember all the good advice you have heard or read about regarding older child adoption. These kids can certainly put us through the ringer but in the end if you are firm they will come back around and be the loving beings they truly are. Time was the solution to all our problems...time, firm discipline, and more time. Shoot for the three month mark as a time when things will be much better...it gave me a goal to get to and when I was about to lose it totally and wanted to get in my car and drive until the gas ran out I would remind myself that it would be better by that point...and in fact it was. Thank heavens...it really was.

Thinking about the three of you!
Amy

Patrick & Eileen said...

Oh wow....I wrote a comment on your latest update & hadn't realized at the time you uploaded homecoming photos!

Wonderful!!! I felt bad for Milo crying in his car seat - poor guy!

Eileen

dnd82001 said...

Hi guys - I am so happy to read your update. I am so happy to hear Milo is on the mend and bounced back so quickly after his eye surgery!!


Thank you for sharing your new life with us and it is wonderful that everything is going so well!!

Continued blessings to your family!!

Darlene