Thursday, July 26, 2007

Pleasant Surprise

I received a very surprising e-mail from our social worker on Monday. She forwarded me an e-mail she received from USCIS that read:

As a courtesy, this is to inform you that I have adjudicated the Ruopoli's Form I-600A; Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition and it has been Approved. An electronic Visa 37 transmission has been sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire for the Ruopoli’s adoption from Almaty, Kazakhstan. The Ruopoli's will be receiving their I-171H approval notice in several days.

Have a wonderful day,
District Adjudications Officer
SC's Inter-Country Adoptions Officer
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services


What the... WOW. Shocking. Really shocking! I must have read it 20 times. This is big, wonderful news! It is extremely rare that the I-171H comes this quickly. It's practically unheard of. But what it means is that, as long as everything else goes smoothly, we could actually be traveling to Kaz this winter rather than in the spring -- many months before we thought! Perhaps even before the end of the year if we're lucky. Holy Ruopoli!!! And because the minimum adoptable age is 6 months, this would also mean that our baby has most certainly been born already, is at least a few months old right now, and at this very moment is waiting for us to become a forever family.

Wow.

If I didn't think it was corny as hell, I would post the lyrics to the song Somewhere Out There. It's already bad enough that I'm using way too many exclamation points throughout this blog. :-) And smiley faces. But how else can you convey such intense emotion? How??? A linguist would have a field day with adoption blogs.

This news made me feel like somebody pushed a giant, cosmic fast-forward button. Not that I mind. It's just a little disorienting and gave us both that "zoinks!" reaction you see in cartoons. But the best part is that this precious child is beginning to feel very real to us. Adding to that feeling, we bought our very first baby things this weekend! I'll write more about them and post photos of them once we get them downloaded.

So the I-171H form should be in our mailbox by the weekend. Zoinks!

4 comments:

Alison said...

Hi, I'm Alison Poston, Amy Bain's friend.

What a great surprise. That was FAST! I know how important that one piece of paper is. Now you can get that dossier our of your hands so it can start making its rounds.

I'm so excited for you guys and anxious to follow along in your journey.

Alison
http://www.postontrip.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, incredible news! I had a feeling things would be moving along quicker than you thought...maybe an early Christmas present! I am already getting teary-eyed imagining welcoming home the new Ruopoli family home at the airport in Charleston. I am sure this is excitng and somewhat scary...better start baby proofin'. Love you both!!

Karla said...

Are you kidding me?! Is that really what the one piece of paper means? I can hardly believe it myself. When we were on the phone the other day about baby things at Target, etc. I didn't hardly understand the magnitude...I get it now! :) Tee hee hee. I can't wait for an even more official word, like...."hey, I have a plane ticket!!!!!" :) Keep me posted! Love ya!

adrin said...

This is, like, so totally fantastic! that your application has been approved.

Code is - Legal advice forum