Sunday, July 29, 2007

I-171H / More Fingerprints / Our First Baby Things

Well folks, the I-171H form showed up in the mail Friday! This is fantastic, but it has completely changed what our "golden ticket" will be. Now, the very last piece of paper we will need for our dossier to be complete is our FBI Background Check Clearance. We got our paper fingerprints done for that today at our friendly neighborhood police station. We should receive the clearance notice within 2-3 weeks.

Here's a photo of Frank getting manhandled by Officer Magwood. I must say it's unsettling when you walk into a room with a big cop and he starts snapping on rubber gloves. We were already in a silly mood and grinning like idiots even before the rubber gloves. We felt like such nerdy, non-criminals in that dingy, cheerless and very worldly police station. The Barney Miller theme song started running through my head as I glanced around the room: Bad fluorescent lighting, puke green tiles and putty colored metal filing cabinets everywhere. I had the uncontrollable desire to put heart-shaped lollipops in all the officer's mail slots and sprinkle gold glitter around the place! But despite the dreary, industrial surroundings, the receptionist and Officer Magwood were both very friendly. It's always nice when you encounter pleasant people during this process. It may seem like a small thing, but it really helps make it a positive experience. (Sorry the photo is fuzzy...I keep forgetting my camera and having to use my cell phone camera.)

So on another note, we bought our first official BABY THINGS this past weekend on a trip to Portland, Oregon! (By the way, Portland is such a nice city... and it has this amazing, huge, authentic Japanese Garden that is absolutely breathtaking.)

The first thing we bought is a baby sling. It's a new incarnation of a very old child-carrying device used in many cultures. It's what all the "granola moms" use. (Yes, we are going to be a natural-minded parents even though we don't wear Birkenstocks or tie dye!) We came across them at the big Saturday Market in Portland, and the woman who makes them was so sweet. Here is her web site: www.activespiritbabyslings.com

Then we ducked into Finnegan's, one of the largest independently-owned toy stores in the country. It was fun, even if it was a bit of sensory overload. The items we couldn't resist were:

"Lencho the Lion" - Plush Toy/Pillow/Blanket Combo: I dig things that are multi-purpose (such as reversible clothes) and this little guy is so perfect for our travels to Kazakhstan because he's not only freaking adorable, but efficient too -- three things in one. I think we're going to rename him Orion. Orion the Lion! See how he works, and see more of his friends at www.zoobiepets.com




Wind-Up Toys: We could not stop playing with these hilarious vintage-style toys in the store. And we still can't stop playing with them now that we're home! We really must put them away so we don't wear them out. Frank and I both love vintage toys, so no doubt our child will have all the classics, from a Radio Flyer Wagon to the Schoolhouse Rock videos.

(Reminder: Click on any photo to see it larger.)

Here are links to videos of some of these wind-up toys in action:
- Robot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYdyTFLPeCU
- Clown on Horse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUKqsSSX-dE
- Duck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNSsSRR4xw
- T-Rex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lah-wg8r19Y
- Tick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2-M9fdvEk

Oh, and we've started calling our little Ruopoli-to-be by a new nickname. It's "Habibi" which means "my darling" or "my sweetheart" in Arabic. It was the name of a Lebanese restaurant we dined at during our Portland trip. It's pronounced Ha-bee-bee. Try saying it and not smiling! :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute toys and I am so glad you are documenting this experience so completely. You will be so glad you did...I have every Schoolhouse Rock, both on DVD and VHS and they have yours and Frank's name on them already! Lots of love to you both...

DaddyWakamole said...

I'm so glad that y'all are of the same toy buying philosophy as Margaret and I. You can't go wrong with the classics. Radio Flyer wagon, metal Tonka dump truck, Legos, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Slinky, Silly Putty, Bubbles, Mr. Potato Head (Nigel's is a Star Wars "Darth Tater" version), the original Disney animated features...I could go on and on. I also have all of my Star Wars figures ready for him when he gets a little older.

Susan said...

you are CRACKIN me up. I love your toys!! I am going to go check those out!! I did my FBI check first thing, so we got that back, and now have everything but our I-171H. I hope to get it this month. My goal was to have everything apostilled and in my agency's hot lil hands by end of August. It woudl be great if we traveled together at the same time!!!

toys rock.

Susan said...

I had to go check out Zoobie Pets because yours was so cute. I took my 9 year old son to a new toy store in Tampa that carried them. SO CUTE! we ended up with the blue elephant, plus a few other really cool toys. It was a fun trip. We spent HOURS in there. My son wanted me to get a really cool stroller for $250 but I said NO. thanks for sharing that zoobie toys website. :)

Regina said...

We were THIS close to getting the blue elephant! It's what first caught my eye. It ended up being a toss-up between him and the lion. We really just played eenie-meenie-miney mo. I really want them all, but trying to keep my consumerism in check. ;-)

Cheers,
Regina