Monday, August 27, 2007

Music

I recently sent a copy of my jazz band's CD our adoption coordinator. She left me a sweet voice mail thanking me, and saying that not only did they love it, but it sparked an impromptu dance party for her children and her friend's children who were visiting. She said there were 4 adorable Kazakh darlings dancing and twirling to our songs and having an absolute ball! How cool is that?

One of the most enjoyable things for me when my band performs live is when there are children in the audience -- and especially when they start dancing and getting lost in the music. It will be marvelous to share the beauty of music with our child, and see it touch our lives in even more profound ways.

Along those lines, I recently created an iTunes playlist with songs that I find inspiring or touching in regards to the adoption experience. It has been our life soundtrack for the past month! Most of these songwriters probably had very different intended meanings for these songs, but it's nifty how the interpretation can shift so easily. Some of them make me smile, some make me emotional, and others are sentiments that I spiritually send across the world, on the warm summer wind, to our little habibi.

They include:

- L-O-V-E, by Nat King Cole
- Waiting, by the Devlins
- These are Days, by 10,000 Maniacs
- Someone to Watch Over Me, by Willie Nelson
- Faith, Trust and Pixiedust, by Solveig Slettahjell
- Breathe Me, by Sia
- By Your Side, by Sade
- Pink Moon, by Nick Drake
- Sprout and the Bean, by Joanna Newsom
- Mushaboom, by Feist
- Embracable You, by Elena Welch
- Yellow, by Coldplay
- Mr. Sandman, by Anita O'Day
- Here Comes the Sun, by the Beatles
- The Story, by Brandi Carlisle
- Why, by Frankie Avalon
- Upside Down, by Jack Johnson
- Pretty Baby, by Al Jolson
- I Love, by Tom T. Hall
- Mission Bell, by Donnie Brooks
- Dear Someone, by Gillian Welch
- I Believe in You, by Don Williams
- Just Remember I Love You, by Firefall
- I've Got You Under My Skin, by Frank Sinatra
- Songbird, by Eva Cassidy
- The Blower's Daughter, by Damien Rice
- Moonglow, by Vintage Velvet (us!)

P.S. Our dossier was deemed A-OK today! No do-overs. Yahoooo!!!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Yay on the dossier!! That is exciting. My dossier is all done, even translated, but one very important piece of paper is still missing-that elusive I-171H. sigh.

thanks for your adoption songs. I'm going to download them on my IPOD shuffle.
I am such a copy cat. I got a zoobie pet, and now i am copying you songs. Maybe i will copy you and adopt a baby from kaz too. Oh wait, I am already done that, if i ever get immigration approval.

love your blog. I'd love to hear the jazz band. is the cd for sale? My husband loves Jazz.

Susan said...

forget my question about getting your band's cd. I just clicked and am listening to it now! wow, it's awesome! what great music. I am impressed! :)

very catchy.
has my snapping my fingers and tappin me feet. :)

Regina said...

Thank you Susan! We think those songs are the cat's pajamas, so we just had to record them. My bandmates rock.

And copy all you want! I'm getting some good ideas from your blog too, so don't be surprised if you see some deja vu things popping up here. :-)

Cheers,
Regina

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Another former Kaz family here and happy parents of Berik. Can't wait for you to have your turn. I love the CD and think after payday I will buy one. Thanks. Gena and Jaimie Lloyd jaimiegena@yahoo.com

Aunt Banana said...

So happy to hear the dossier was cleared! Congrats! I love your playlist - what a sound track! Also LOVE Nick Drake! I've thought a lot about what you're going through (I can't imagine!) - but thought you'd enjoy these tunes too - check them out (some of my favorites):
*Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow & What a Wonderful World Medley"
* LeAnne Womack - "I Hope You Dance"
* Corrine Bailey Rae - "Like A Star"
* Tom Petty - "Square One"
* Rod Stewart - "Forever Young"
* Rascal Flatts - "Bless the Broken Road"
* Burt Bacharach & Elvis Costello - "What The World Needs Now"
* Mercy Me - "I Can Only Imagine"
* Jack Johnson - "Lullaby"
* Oasis - "Let There Be Love"
and finally, one of my ALL TIME FAVS:
Modest Mouse - "Float On"

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog - I don't even remember how I came across it but it's part of my new hobby of blog stalking ;-) The song list compelled me to comment but the rest of the blog is awesome. I am also with LMI and my dossier is at the consulate as of last Wednesday. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your process and by the way I LOVE Charleston ;-) My blog is invite only so if you're interested email me at swalsh02@tampabay.rr.com and I'll invite you. How hoity toity, huh? And Andrea rocks!!

Shannon