Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Stranger in a Strange Land

Hi everyone. This is Frank. I thought I would give Regina a break and post this entry.

I've never been in Babies R Us until last Saturday. We went shopping for a crib. We were excited and it was fun, but surreal.

I couldn't believe we were actually going to buy a crib.

I was a stranger in a strange land. It started the minute we got out of the car. Everyone in the parking lot was unloading strollers from their trunks and loading babies into them. They were streaming in from all directions. This was definitely not the Home Depot! We walked in the front door and stood there looking around. I felt disoriented. Where was the hardware department? Where were the tools? Regina made a beeline for a little outfit that caught her eye, and I scanned the horizon feeling disbelief. I had no idea you needed so much stuff for one little person. Finally, I saw the furniture in the back. I pulled my wife away from the cute clothes and we got down to business.

I couldn't believe we were actually shopping for a crib.

After making two circles around the department, we decided on a crib and a matching dresser/changing table. They were a nice wood tone, the perfect style and we both were happy. Whew, task accomplished! Oh, but then Regina informed me that we also needed to get a mattress, mattress pad, changing pad, changing pad cover and an entire bedding set with a sheet, bedskirt, bumper pad and blanket. You mean that stuff is not included? And what's a bumper pad? Does this have something to do with cars?

A few more decisions were made, and with my Honda Element packed like a sausage we carted our loot home. I got down to business putting the crib together. Easy as pie.

But I couldn't believe I was putting together a crib.

Then came the changing table, which was more of a pain but we got it done. We added all the soft stuff, arranged the room in a trial layout and surveyed our results.

Very nice. But I couldn't believe I had just put together a crib. OUR crib.

Since then, several times a day we find ourselves looking in the bedroom. We say to each other, "Hey, did you know there is a crib in here?" Seeing this tangible evidence of a future child is bizarre for both of us. Not bad bizarre -- good bizarre. It's kind of like when we decided to have a family. The world was suddenly different.

I think we will feel the same way when there is an actual baby inside that crib. We will look at each other and say, "Psssst....there's a baby in that room!" I guess by then I will feel like an old pro at Babies R Us. I might even have to be dragged away from the cute outfits.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wait, one day you will be driving the car, chatting with Regina and you'll check the rearview mirror to change lanes, and there will be this little face smiling at the back of your head, and you'll forget what you were saying and say outloud "We have a baby!" It's weird, you get that same feeling of amazement everytime you look at them.

Susan said...

Congrats on your crib purchase! Wow, you brought it home the same night? and it's put together? I am impressed. We bought ours 2 weeks ago, it was delivered a week later, and it's in our foyer, still in a box. The baby's room has a computer desk in it and a bunch of other stuff. But, we have to paint this room, and put wood floors in, so the crib stays in the foyer.
My son went with us, age 9, and he didn't see what the big deal was-let the kid sleep in a hammock he said. And, then he DRAGGED me away from the adorable baby clothes.

My apostilled i-171h was personally hand delivered to my agency today-so it can be translated now and put with the rest of my translated, apostilled documents.
it seems the wait to Kaz is getting longer and longer as everyone adopting from Russia and China is switching over to Kaz. So, i've had to adjust my own timeline and figure we'll be going over there eventually, just not as soon as I expected.

Congrats on your new purchases and I think Babies R Us is way more fun than Home Depot. But I am sure my husband would disagree, as well as my son. He was so bored. :)

Matthew Ruley said...

I can't believe you got the crib and put it together the same day! We ordered our crib on July 24 and its still not here (8 weeks now)! I hope it will come next week... I would imagine that once the crib is in it does start to feel real. I love the pictures of you two outside of Babys R Us. What a great moment! Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer said...

LOL! My husband says that ALL the time to me. "Guess what? We have a BABY in there!" This is usually said as she's napping and in her crib. It's been almost two months since we've returned home and I have no idea when the wonder will wear off. Hopefully never! :-)

Amy said...

Hi Frank and Regina: (and Susan from the comments)

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Amy and I live in Illinois. I am adopting from Kazakhstan as well. I just sent in my 171-H too Susan. My dossier is being translated. I am going for a little girl 6 years old. Hopefully we can keep in touch just in case we travel around the same time to the same area. My blog is at www.adoption2007.wordpress.com I have listed you all as a link, I hope you don't mind.

Anonymous said...

You go Frank the Tank! I am sure you will change those diapers with as much enthusiasm and zest. I love the crib and I know that excited feeling you both have. It is truly amazing realizing that your family is imminently changing from 2 to 3. I am so stoked for you both!