Monday, September 24, 2007

The Room

This part is tres exciting, no?

As Frank said, seeing the nursery come together is strangely awesome. Yes, we realize that all this hullabaloo is mostly for us. Our baby surely won't arrive criticizing the decor. We keep joking that Habibi would be content to sleep in a drawer. (Any Simpsons fans know that line???)

I had already painted the walls when we moved in 6 years ago -- waaay back when we thought we'd never want the responsibility of children. This paint job was my 3-day long, arm-breaking masterpiece, done during a time when I was addicted to the Trading Space show on HGTV. (Coincidentally, I recently participated in a day-long meeting with Laurie Smith, the much-loved, red-headed designer from that show. The company I work for is considering working with her on a project, but that's top secret right now so I can't tell you or I'd have to....you know....kill you.)

Where was I? Oh yeah, the walls. They are a faux finished, mottled Tuscan orange. I worked so hard on them and still really like them, so I don't want to re-paint until Habibi has ideas of his/her own. (I can hear it now -- "Mom, I want BLACK walls to go with my new goth look!" "No honey, just because your father and I were goth doesn't mean you can do it. It really wasn't that cool then and it's not cool now. Trust me on this.") But I digress... So we used the Tuscan orange as a jumping point for the color scheme, which is orange and cream, with touches of tan and sage. I really dig it. It's soft, warm and serene, plus it's conveniently unisex!

Here's a link to the organic cotton bedding, which coordinates perfectly. We don't really have an overall motif, but I realized that we're accumulating a few elephant things. I like elephants -- with the trunk up for good luck-- and they had fit well with my original plan to do a Moroccan room (too difficult to find baby stuff and no time to make it myself.)

Although the room is nowhere near finished, I've posted a few sneak peek photos below for your enticement! The adorable, blue ribbon winning painting above the changing table was done by Frank when he was about 4. It was for a state fair contest, and sparked the beginning of his art career. All together now: Awwwww!

Last I heard our dossier is still in the translation process. Our whole life story is currently being turned into Cyrillic, which kinda looks like something you'd see on the master controls of an alien spaceship on an original episode of Star Trek.

We love all the comments. Keep 'em coming!

Франк и Реджина
(Frank and Regina)

Click to enlarge

5 comments:

Susan said...

Way cool room!!! I love it!!! I am impressed you can paint. I am AWFUL. I tried to help my husband paint his son's room a few years ago. I was politely told that my husband "had it" and thanks for my help. So, I don't paint, and that is fine, because I am super impatient. Right now, our Baby Kaz room is this room in which my computer is in-and it's all torn apart. It's taped and prepped for paint. We are doing the room in the Kaz flag colors (sorta). The walls are light yellow (butter cookie is the name of the paint) and the trim on the baseboard is called Nevada sky. One of my stepdaughters friends from work is working on some sketches of a castle wit Kaz flags to paint a mural on the wall. I'm quite excited about this. It's fun!
My 9 year old son's room is also being repainted and redone-he is a huge Cincinnati Bengals fan and now has 2 bright orange walls with Chad Johnson and Carson palmer fat heads passing the ball to each other. It's fun, i guess. :)

wow, I am writing a novel here.
I love your room. I see your Zoobie pet there on the changing table. I got an elephant zoobie pet that is blue. :)

great job on the painting. I am totally impressed.

As soon as we get this room, i will post some pictures on our blog too. But for now, it's all torn up and ugly. :)

marsrob said...

I absolutely LOVE that you have Frank's painting up from when he was a little boy. That is so incredible.
When we started decorating the nursery, we talked about finding art etc. for the walls that actually feels meaningful....There is just something about surrounding yourself and your child with deeply personal, expressive art and color that is so special. This is just another reason why your decision to keep the beautiful color on the walls is so wonderful - you put such effort into that project.

Isn't this a wild ride??!!!

- Jennifer

Jennifer said...

Beautiful colors! I did the same thing- painted when the room was my office and no thoughts of children. I love the color so much, I refused to change it no matter what gender children we have!

I adore the elephant nightlight. That is GREAT! I want one! :-)

Sandi said...

The room is absolutely beautiful. It appears so warm and inviting. It will be a nice calm environment for the baby. My room is coming along, i too did not want to paint the walls so I incorporated the sage green walls and attempted to tie the bedding in with the paint color. My pictures I have in the room which will be posted soon were hand painted by a dear friend of mine, she is an amazing artist.

I love following your journey, looks like your just behind many of us in this crazy journey to motherhood.

sandi

Anonymous said...

Don't you need a Donkey to balance out that elephant in your child's room?
Just kidding - Your child has a beautiful room. I can't wait to see pictures of it with all the toys strewn around the floor, along with the big diaper box, the big box of industrial strength baby wipes, and other stuff!

McP
Ringgold, Georgia