Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Holy Needlestick, Batman!

I know what we can do today! Let’s drop $630 smackaroos to go get injected with a bunch of horrible viruses!

Yes, the time had come to visit our friendly neighborhood travel clinic to get vaccinated in preparation for our adoption trip. The nice staff made this as painless as possible, and we now have superpowers against the following lovelies:

- MMR - Measles, Mumps and Rubella
- Hepatitis A & B (Just 'cause Pam Anderson has it doesn’t mean it’s cool.)
- Diphtheria & Tetanus
- Typhoid (we got capsules for this)

Check out the CDC web site that advises travelers of which vaccines they should consider for which countries. It's chock full of interesting information. For instance, did you know that September 8 was World Rabies Day??? Me neither! I would have celebrated by doing a little foaming at the mouth.

We didn’t get the Rabies vaccine since we don’t expect to do much frolicking with woodland creatures because the temperature will probably be consistently below zero while we are there (shiver me timbers!)

We will have to go back for two more Hepatitis booster shots before we’re officially through. Youch. It’s all for you, Baby R!

9 comments:

Susan said...

yikes. We haven't done that yet. We need to.
MMR is the scary vaccine that many mothers say started their autism in their children. That is scary in itself.
make you you get plenty of sleep, take you vitamins so you don't get run down with all the shots you got.

I guess we need to go. I hate shots.

Matthew Ruley said...

Feel like a pin cushion yet? I'm a medical mystery -had the Hep AB series 2xs (2001, 2004) and still not immune to it. Doh! Doing it again. Got everything else but did a titer for the MMR to see if I'm still immune from my childhood shots. Rather not get that one again.

I can't believe you got most of that at one time! I'm doing it in stages... Youre brave. Yes rest and take your vitamins!

marsrob said...

Oh what fun - needles!
I am constantly amazed at the range of crazy things adoptive parents have to do just to be united with our babies! We truly do go to the ends of the earth for our little ones.

Amy said...

Man, I haven't even started thinking about vaccinations yet. I have read several posts (on listservs) where APs didn't get any vaccinations at all. Of course I guess it is just adding one more element of risk to the situation. I will have to talk to my doctor. Great more money. I am starting to feel like an ATM machine...the kind where you can only take out money.

Susan said...

Okie dok, you helped motivate me. I got my shots today. It was only $122 (I went to the health dept) and got Hep A, Tetanus, and typhoid. I didn't get Hep B since I am not planning on "relations" with any forgeign dudes over there, and no blood transfusions. My arm does hurt though.

I am going to go see my accunpuncturist tomorrow though to get my immune system boost treatment. Those needles DON'T hurt. they are relaxing. :)

marsrob said...

Just had to respond to Amy's comment...I feel like an ATM machine too these days....Not something I like to talk or think about, but something that is definitely very real. Thanks for being so honest, Amy!
- Jennifer

Regina said...

Yeah, we were shocked at the cost too. Cha-ching! We didn't think to look anywhere else.

We are both feeling fine so far, but yes we strongly considered not getting any vaccines at all. There is just so much controversy about the negative effects, and we have healthy immune systems.

In the final analysis we just decided to take the risk vs. the risk of getting really sick in a developing nation through contaminated foods (no DHEC there!) or perhaps from being around so many children.

As far as vaccinations for our child, we are strongly considering not having any done at all. (They supposedly give them some in Kaz, but there are differning stories on that.) If we must do it for school we will wait until the last possible minute. Experts say the older the kids the smaller the chance of it causing autism, etc.

So much to think about!

Anonymous said...

When we adopted our conjoined twins Carbunkle and Ignatius, we had no idea we were carriers of infantile hirsuitism virus. Apparently Carbunkle was immune but Ignatius had a bushy chest wig at age six months. Please do yourself a favor and get screened for this.

Sincerely,

Casey Quarters

Anonymous said...

Casey,

That does not sound like infantile hirsuitism to me, sounds more like Robin Williams disease. Unfortuneatly, you are in for years of incessant shaving until your twins are able to wield the razors for themselves. My condolences.

Ms. Jones