Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hello is Hard

Picture this: Me, blowdrying my hair, saying to no one in particular, “Vwe pennymiyotu Pangliski?” Frank, peering in, answers, “Nyet. Ya nee pennymiyo.” *

Later that morning: Me, pouring my coffee in the office breakroom, saying to myself, “Nee hi-tilly-buh vwe shtow-nee-boot vwee-peats” about 8 times. A co-worker walks in unbeknownst to me. (I think he still doubts my sanity despite my explanation.)**

Later that afternoon: Me, sitting in my car at a red light. Pointing out the window, saying, “Taam.” Then pointing to the steering wheel, saying, “Zdis.” I notice that the man in the car next to me is staring.***

Embarrassing yes, but worth it because Frank and I have officially completed all the lessons in the Pimsleur Quick and Simple Russian program! Yeah, I may sound like an idiot to those guys, but just wait until I blow the Kazakhs away with my eloquent mastery of the word for “thank you” twenty-seven times a day!

In many languages saying “hello” is easy. You've got your Hola, Ciao, Aloha, Bonjour, Goddag, Shalom, etc. But in Russian, the formal “hello” sounds something like “Zdrast-Vwiteah.” My mouth just doesn’t move like that naturally, although it is starting to now that I'm getting a feel for the language.

I can't help but snicker like a fifth-grader when saying the Russian word for “square” (as in a plaza or city square.) It sounds like a a cross between “Boolshit” and "Poolshit." I can't decide which one is funnier. Also amusing to me is that the Pimsleur system, although very effective, seems geared toward men who are trying to hook up with Russian women. (Hello. Do you speak English? Would you like a drink? Where? At my place or at your place? At the hotel? What would you like to do? With pleasure.) Well alrighty then.

What we really want to know is how to say, “This is the most precious and wonderful child in the world and I promise we are going to be take such good care of him/her and provide all the opportunities and happiness and love he/she could ever ask for and we will do everything in our power to ensure he/she is a well-adjusted, well-rounded, confident, successful and happy person and we will honor his/her cultural identity and love him/her more deeply than the ocean no matter what forever and ever!”

Maybe there is a Pimsleur Quick and Simple Russian for Eager Parents-To-Be Who are Adopting from Kazakhstan, but Learning Russian Instead of Kazakh Because it is More Widely Spoken.

I'll try Barnes & Noble.

I often marvel at the amazing power of language and it’s effectiveness in communicating even the abstract. But I know we will be humbled and frustrated by only being able to understand a few bare basics. Regardless, I'm enjoying learning a tiny bit of this odd tongue that I never dreamed I’d be inspired to learn.

So now onto Russian for Dummies...

Da svee-dah-nee-ye!****


*Do you understand English? / No. I don't understand.
**Wouldn't you like something to drink?
***Here / There
****Goodbye



(click to enlarge)

16 comments:

Sandi said...

Ok I am totally cracking up as I just started practicing with the Pimsleur approach, I started listening to it in my car and repeating the words. I mean hello could it be any more tricky, the language is definitely challenging.

I hope to get through all the lessons. You are right the conversation is funny, and def. geared towards men..

I will let you know how I do. I was able to understand what you had written so that is a start.

Kelly and Sne said...

Thanks for your comments, Regina. We decided to travel blind also - for all the same reasons (it was also our original plan). Plus I read through lots of others' blogs who traveled blind and, even when there were issues, everybody was happy in the end. Who knows, you are just a week or two behind us so we may end up in country at the same time!

Also - I feel for you and your Russian lessons. I actually lived in Russia for a couple of years in the early 90s (Peace Corps) and remember doing the Belitz crash course before going over. Not to discourage you, but I remember the first couple of days thinking "gulp! I really didn't learn anything" as it was so difficult to understand. I think it was the cryllic alphabet that really threw me off - it's unnerving when you don't recognize a thing on the street signs! In any case, I learned it to an intermediate level then and am now taking lessons to get it back. My brain hurt during the first lesson! Good luck!

(By the way, "prevyet" is how they say "hi" rather than the longer "hello" and much easier on the tongue (or you can say "dobre deen" (good day)). A few other useful phrases: "kak dela?" (how's things? or how are you?) and "normalno" (the standard answer, it means I'm fine) and "ya loobloo tebya" (I love you). Let me know if there are any other phrases (besides the long on one your post!) that weren't covered in the primsler and I'll try to help out.

Sam said...

Wow you are putting me to shame! I was proud of my latches on my cupboards, you have mastered the language. Perhaps after my dossier leaves my hands I will start on that!

Jodi said...

Our travel partners said the exact same thing about the Pimsleur being excellent for picking up women - ha-ha!! But I have to admit they knew much more Russian than we did after listening to Russian For Dummies, so you are on the right path. And everyone you meet in Kaz will greatly appreciate your efforts.

I'm enjoying following along on your journey and am excited for you to travel and meet your little one. Hang in there - it is SO worth it!

Jodi

Angela said...

Hilarious and inspiring. Would you recommend Pimsleur? I definitely want to learn some Russian before we go. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Paka paka (ooops . . . that's Kazakh . . . we have to learn that too!)

P.S. Thanks for the comment on our blog. Yes, I do wonder how people LIVED before the internet. It does seem like the dark ages. And, thanks for the encouragement to put the little ones together. That is what my gut tells me. We will have one room for sleep and one for play.

marsrob said...

IMPRESSIVE!!! You guys are inspiring! The whole language thing has felt too daunting to me - so I totally slacked. However, Marshall has been studying diligently, and he learns quickly, so at least one of us will be trying to speak over there!

marsrob said...

Hey guys,

Just sending you both HUGE hugs and we want to let you know we are totally hoping that your dossier moves along swiftly and you get to go meet your baby soon! We'll be holding you in our hearts while we are gone. Please keep us updated, ok?

Warmly,

J & M

The Cook said...

How fun that you are learning Russian. We did not speak a lick and wished we had learned some. As far as the names, I love Sophia of course!
-Muriel
www.2kaz4sophie.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

You are so prepared- perfect! You won't regret a single moment of lessons. I only regret NOT spending more time learning Russian. The next time I go back (there WILL be a next time!), I'm bound and determined to take a class (I need the accountibility). :-)

Patrick & Eileen said...

Well Pat & I are slacking on this! Kudos to you for learning Russian. I guess we'll have to look into Pimsleur as well.

Eileen

Regina said...

Ok I'm reading all these nice comments and LOL because we hardly know anything! The Pimsleur CD we finished is very limited, and we have not mastered Russian by any stretch of the imagination! They have more advanced programs, which we will start soon.

I do highly recommend the Pimsleur CDs for conversational Russian (it is audio only) but we have at least a couple more months to study and hopefully the 'Dummies' program will help us READ a little too!

Cheers,
Regina

Karen said...

Thanks so much for the feng shui (door) link—it really opened my eyes. For one, we use our garage door entry way too much (positive chi has nowhere to go and becomes wasted) and our door faces north, not south so red may be the wrong color afterall. Bummer because it makes the house look so darn good.

I love Pimsleur but I noticed something interesting. My husband bought the CD set while I learned off the tapes. The male talent on the CD was very hard to understand while my guy on the tape enuciated very clearly and spoke much more slowly, which enbled me to move along far more quickly.

Jill & Jon Dumford said...

I get to worry about all the paperwork, organization, and deadlines while my husband has to work on the learning Russian part of the process. (I'll join in after I can crawl out of the paperwork and have a chance to process anything else.) I just stumbled onto your blog today and I really enjoy it.
Jill

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you, I worked and worked to try to learn Russian on two trips. Please look at this link (click or cut and paste on browser) to see how my efforts were received:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKVghy17TUc

We are excited to watch your progress! Keep posting!

McCracken Poston
Father to Alina, Mac & Cal

Nell said...

hara-show! (good/ok!) Russian is NOT easy :) If either of you speak French, alot of the vocabulary will start sounding familiar.

Whatever you do, however, don't reply "yup" to anything.... it rhymes with the english word "duck" :)

Hmm. I used to know how to say "congratulations" but instead I'll say "красивейший мальчик" - beautiful boy! (I learned that 2 weeks ago when I met my new nephew who is half-Russian)

-Nell
(Frank's colleague who works in MD and who might wind up adopting some day)

Patrick & Eileen said...

Regina,
We just bought the Pimsleur Russian I set (30 courses). We played it last night for the first time. My husband, Pat, can speak French & German fluently which helped him a great deal. I'm having a hard time making my mouth *work* on this! I sound hilarious but I really want it to work for me....so I will continue to try! How are you two progressing?

We started off with the Russian for Dummies but after one lesson with Pimsleur we find we like it better.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can pick this language up!

Eileen