Thursday, December 27, 2007

Loss, Love & Little White Lies

We hope you all had a joyous Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Festivus or whatever other holiday you celebrate!

We’ve had a whirlwind couple of weeks and not much time to sit down and shed ink on the ‘ole blog. I’ve had a million thoughts I’ve wanted to share, and now it seems insurmountable to capture them all.

So I’ll touch on only a few.

Unfortunately our season started with great sadness with the passing of our brother-in-law, Fred, from cancer on December 19, at a mere 53 years of age. Fred loved the Beatles (especially John Lennon), politics and following the headlines closely. He was very excited about our adoption journey, and shared with us every little story he found in the papers about adoption or Central Asia. He was a special person and will be deeply missed. It was a difficult time, especially for Frank’s sister, Rosie, but there is nothing like a close encounter with death to serve as a crystal clear reminder to make the most of our precious little time here on earth.

And so that we did. This holiday season we were able to share many wonderful moments at several parties and gatherings with family and friends. We ate, drank, bustled, reveled, loved and laughed until our cheeks hurt. It was downright magical. "How’s the adoption coming along?" was an often-answered question throughout the festivities. Everyone's anticipation is growing like wildfire as we prepare to enter our "last trimester." It's exciting to talk about and we were very aware of how different and special Christmas will be for us next year.

In addition to all those warm, fuzzy thoughts, my mind has been stuck on something a little disturbing: The concept of lying to our child about the existence of Santa Claus! There are many schools of thought about whether it's better to pass off the Santa story as fact, or regard it as a sweet, symbolic myth. It just doesn't feel right to instill a belief in something known to be unreal. Why can't Santa (and the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny) be enjoyed by children as fun, pretend stories -- like Rudolph or Frosty?

I don't know, but I suppose we will ultimately hop on the little white lie bus along with the vast majority – mostly because we don’t want to be the bad guys who ruin it for our kid’s friends and who are despised by all the other parents because of it! And what would the parenthood experience be without having to tell a few little white lies every now and again? Too bad I'm terrible at lying; I'm as transparent as a newly-installed window. Having to burst their bubble will be hardest of all, but I am planning to approach it as a rite of passage -- an initiation of sorts into a special club of those who know the real truth and must guard it very carefully to preserve the magic for the little ones.

I'd like to end this post with a little, belated Christmas gift to all of you. It's one of my favorite poems by my favorite poet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


Snowball
by Shel Silverstein


I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.

I thought I’d keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its head.

Then last night it ran away,

But first — it wet the bed.

11 comments:

Sandi said...

Regina and Frank,
I am so sorry about the passing of your brother-in-law. It is always difficult especially around the holidays. I hope you are able to remeber the good times.

Now onto that poem, I love it!!

Happy Holidays...and welcome to your last tri-mester.
Sandi

Angela said...

I am really sorry about your brother-in-law. It is so very difficult to lose a loved one. Please take care of yourselves.

Ah, Santa. We have had many a discussion about Santa. I do have a friend whose mother told her there is no such thing as Santa and that she should not share this information with other children who have been duped by their parents. As my husband has observed she is a bit - errr - humorless as an adult. Is it because she never knew the magic of Santa or the Easter bunny? Perhaps this is part of it. We try to think of Santa as embodying qualities that are very real and important like love and generosity. That makes us feel better about our little white lie.

Happy 3rd trimester! Do you feel the glow?

Matthew Ruley said...

Regina and Frank,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Its a terrible thing to loose someone you love.

My own brother-in-law didn't do the whole Santa thing. He lived in another state from the rest of the family (and is a minister). One day, while walking through the mall with his twin 2-year old boys, some nice old lady stoped them and said, "now, who's going to bring lots of presents to you this Christmas?" and the boys answered, "The UPS man."

Jill & Jon Dumford said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one. It's especially hard at the holidays because you have to see so many people.

I hear ya on the "how's the adoption process going?" It's such a difficult question to answer because I never feel like answering..."It's going great!" How do I know? I know I always feel on edge waiting for the next road block. I'm never really happy about this tedious process. I can't officially say anything is great about it until I'm with my boy...actually that's not true, It brings me much joy to read other blogs and stories of families coming together. That keeps me going!

I hope the new year brings you a letter of invitation quickly and happiness beyond your wildest dreams.

Amy said...

Hi Regina and Frank. I was so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law passing. I hope that you both are doing okay, as well as, Frank's sister. My best wishes for all of you.

PS - I love Shel Silverstein

Kim & Jamie said...

Regina and Frank,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your loved one. Losing someone who is special to you is always difficult, and more so around the holidays. I am glad that you were able to spend the holidays surrounded by your family.

As for Santa, I suppose cross that bridge when you come to it:) I have often wondered what we will say to our little one as well and I think we will just jump on the bandwagon for a bit...maybe.

By the way, congratulations on your dossier making it to Kaz!! That is great news to hear you are in your last trimester:) Here is to looking forward to great news in the new year!!

Warm wishes from Chicago:) You will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Susan said...

Sincerest condolonces on the loss of your brother in law. I have lost 2 wonderful friends to cancer the last 2 months,and it's so difficult. I'm glad you were able to remember him fondly and laugh with family!

Santa Claus is really just about the magic of Christmas. You may change your mind about if you think it's "Lying" Or not...to me, Santa is the spirit of giving. :)

Happy New year!
and, yes, we were asked over and over and over...WHAT' THE NEWS ON BABY KAZ?
we don't know, we don't know.
Maybe Feb?
OH, THEN FOR SURE FEB?
no, NOT FOR SURE. maybe...we don't know.

Jennifer said...

LOL!! Very cute poem. I'm glad you're back in blog-land. I always enjoy your posts.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. My condolences to you and your family.

As for the whole Santa thing... yeah. I just blogged about that one too. One side of my family "belives" and one side believes it's a commercialized lie that takes the focus off the true meaning of Christmas. Hmm... We're stuck in a no win situation no matter what. And both sides are wonderful, awesome people.

To Santa or not to Santa, that is the question.

Angela said...

Sorry for your loss. My stepdad passed away from cancer in March at 56. It's hard losing someone so young and missing them through the holidays.

I hear you on the Santa thing. Our son is two and I still really haven't talked much about Santa other than pointing him out in books, at the mall and in pictures. At two Izaak just asks, "who's that" and I say "Santa." Haven't gotten into the details. I love the story of Santa and gladly share that, just haven't decided if I want to go along with him coming to our house, eating cookies and leaving presents.

My husband on the other hand thinks I'm a mean ol' mom, but I too, am a terrible liar so we haven't figured out how we'll handle Santa in our house. I've heard 3 is the magic age for Santa, so I guess we have another year to figure it out! Let me know if you come up with something creative.

BTW, I saw on your other blog about your feelings about Christmas cards with kids only - I totally agree! It's nice seeing the whole family.

Happy New Years!
Angela

Catalina said...

Hi Regina, I am really sorry to hear about your brother-in law, is so hard to lose people we love.
I agree with you, even if is not nice to lie, little white-lies should be acceptable. I remember when I was a little girl, I was trying so hard to learn nice poems and songs, to impress Santa. The joy of the Christmas tree and all presents around it. And all my family together. It was so perfect. I can not imagine how childhood would be without Christmas. Until one day, I realise Santa is one of my family`s friends (white barb, dressed in red clothes). I was not upset about it, I was just happy I discovered a secret other children dont know - which means I was older than them. As a child I always wanted to grow up and get older. Now I changed my mind, but I can`t wait for the next year to bring Santa`s magic in our house again.
I love your poem, is so cute.
Enjoy your last trimester, to me is the toughest one, because of the waiting.
Happy New Year!
Catalina

Amy said...

I love your post - we just talked about a lot of this stuff at dinner with you and Frank. I hope you decide to do the Santa thing - it is simply the traditional Christmas magic, and you will find yourself telling little white lies throughout your child's life. If you haven't seen "The Polar Express", this illustrates believing in Santa so beautifully and we usually watch it together on Christmas Eve. Shel Silverstein is the goods - have always loved his stuff. Jenise bought Haley "The Giving Tree" before she was born and it is a favorite of ours. Welcome to the last trimester, one of nesting and waiting. Don't be surprised if you get the urge to clean everything, even the top of the refrigerator, so that it will all be spotless and organized for your baby's arrival. Can't wait to hear the next step and the news of your travel plans. Happy New Year to you and Frank (and of course Paco and Delilah)!

Love to all~
Amy