Monday, December 31, 2007

Oh Eight

As Frank and I bid a fond farewell to a great 2007 we are especially excited to ring in 2008 because, if everything goes according to plan, it is the year we will bring home our child!

Yep, it is theee year. Our baby announcements will have the year 2008 on them. Our plane tickets. Our child's passport. Hundreds of important receipts. All those final documents and signatures. Ten thousand questions will be answered as we hold our Habibi in our arms and get to know his/her personality, strengths and quirks. We will plant the first of a million kisses on that little forehead and learn about love in a whole new way.


Could it really be that we will soon be all hunkered down, snug in our little routine of family joys, trials and triumphs? It's hard to imagine not being a waiting family anymore, although all of this waiting is strangely comforting. Don't get me wrong; we don't want to wait any longer than we must! But I kinda like the antici......pation. I relish in imagining the future in all of it's potential perfection. It's exciting and comforting. And as Blondie says, dreaming is free.


Speaking of dreams, every New Year's Day I write down my biggest goals for the year. Last year I did things a little differently. Instead of writing down words, I drew little iconic pictures of the things I wanted to accomplish. I heard that drawing pictures of your goals, even in just a rudimentary stick figure style, establishes them in your mind more solidly, making them more likely to be achieved.

Today I looked back at the 15 goals I drew last year. My success rate is about the same as prior years (roughly 70%), but I will draw them again this year because it's just more fun! My most notable unaccomplished goal of 2007 is, of course, becoming a family of three. Although it didn't quite happen by year-end, we made great strides and hope to check that off very soon!

Here are some of my drawings of a few of last year's goals:

Become a Family of 3:




Allow Less Money to Fly out the Window


Cook More Often


Frank is the real artist in the family, although my slippers, apron and giant oven mitt are totally hot. ;-)

Well, I need to go get ready for tonight. Nothing sparkly this year. We've declined several parties in order to babysit/have a slumber party for 2 of our sweet nieces. And we are more than happy to spend a lovely evening with them this year instead of partying downtown. They are a lot more enjoyable than over-imbibed revelers stepping on our toes and knocking over our drinks. We are sure to have more fun here than at the biggest bash out there! Hmmm...on second thought, I think sparkles are in order.

I wish everyone a safe and happy New Year! Let's all hold on tight to our little planet hurtling through space as we soar into 2008!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Habibi,

At the stroke of midnight, with our glasses raised, your daddy and I will toast to you. In Kazakhstan it will already be 11 am on New Year's Day. I wonder what you will be doing. Going down for a nap? Having a second bottle? Snuggling for a brief moment with your favorite caretaker? Whatever it may be I hope that at that moment you will feel the extra dose love we are sending over to you, effervescent like the Champagne bubbles in our glasses and tickling you from your toes to your nose. Happy New Year little love. It's going to be a stellar one.

14 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

I got goosebumps from that letter! They are still standing. Thank you for sharing. I hope you achieve all those goals. Especially the first one... They are actually the same as mine this year BUT I also have continue to loose weight and get strong enough to carry our Eyeball (in our Ergo carrier) up and down 6 flights of stairs a few times and walk a few miles.

A toast to all of us, that we may all achieve our dreams!

Kim said...

Yeah to 2008!! I am excited to see how your family will grow!

Cook more often...yeah that is a goal of mine too but never gonna happen. :-)

Happy New Year.

Catalina said...

have a Happy New Year! Your posts are great, I always enjoy reading your blog. May all your dreams come true. Catalina :)

Susan said...

Your pictures are so cute. I actually don't do new years resolutions. I like your pictures though, very very cute!!!
Your letter to your munchkin was so sweet.
and, I agree. staying home with kid is way more fun than going out. 2 years ago on New Years eve though we did leave SEan with a friend and went to dinner to discuss having another child! We made our pro's and cons and the PRO'S ONE! So, 2008 will be the year that we bring our children home. Pretty darn exciting stuff!
:)

Jennifer said...

Happy New Year!! What a great way to do resolutions- you are so creative, and yeah, I dig the mitt and slippers. :-)

The letter to the little one was so very sweet. Tears to the eyes as usual.

I know your 2008 will be so wonderful and special for you guys. I can't wait for all ya'll (my southern coming out in me) to travel!

Amy said...

Happy New Year Frank and Reg! Loved your latest post, it was sweet and inspirational, just like you. Can't wait for all the excitement that 2008 will bring. I also love the illustrated resolutions, and your oven mitt and slippers are oh so hot... I have a few of those very ones myself. The letter brought tears to my eyes as well, for your little one has no idea what two special parents are anxiously awaiting him/her!

Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

It's so nice for all of us to be sharing this excitement for what 2008 will bring!
Shannon

marsrob said...

That was a beautiful letter! And sounds like you had a great new years eve. Here is to a fantastic, adventure-filled 2008 for the two of you - and may your family grow SOON!!!

xoxoxo

Sam said...

How sweet are you 2? Hope new years was great! I love the drawings....love them...2008 will be a great year for all of us!

Kim & Jamie said...

Happy New Year to you as well:) Loved the letter to your little one. So incredibly sweet.

We wish all the best to you in the new year and can't wait until you travel to Kaz! You aren't kidding that this is going to be a big year!! Can't wait:)

Warm wishes from Chicago!

Trudi said...

wonderful letter - perfect for the upcoming year of big happy changes! :)

Amy said...

Wow your stick figure drawings are so much more artistic than my stick figure drawings. I am so unartistically talented even my stick figures look pretty sad and badly drawn. But I am good with glue and macaroni - so there! Here is to 2008 when we realize our fondest dreams. And don't get much regular sleep for a while. Aaaah I am such a realist. CHEERS!!

Thad and Ann said...

I hope 2008 will be a great year for you guys. :) I love the pictures, so cute.

Kami said...

Happy 2008 !!!

Thank you for sharing your blog with me, I am really enjoying it. I voted on your baby names what cute ones you are considering. A few were the same as ours.

~Kami

http://kamianderics.blogspot.com