Sunday, March 2, 2008

Odds & Ends

CUTE ALERT
I added more photos of recently home Kaz Cuties to my post from February 19. I've been asking for permission from parents, and it is taking me awhile to get around to asking everyone who has recently returned. I'd love to add even more photos; To help me do this more quickly, if there are any parents out there who have recently returned with a Kaz child and are okay with me sharing a photo, will you please e-mail me at regina (at) ruopoli (dot) com? I can just copy it from your blog, or you can e-mail me a favorite. All those photos are making the loading time for my front page a bit long, but it's worth it. It's fun to see all these adorable and diverse faces in one place!

MO STUFF
This Kazakhstan Air Force Pilot Navigator Wings Badge was a gift from me to Frank. Frank loves aviation and nearly earned his pilot's license several years ago. He now sticks to studying aviation history and building/flying his fleet of remote control airplanes with is flying buddies, Team Kaput. When I found this pin on eBay I just HAD to get it for him. There is a good sized Pilot School in Aqtobe where many pilots were trained during the Soviet Era. It is located very close to the Baby House, so we hope we are able to take a tour when we're there.

I found this gorgeous Mei Tai carrier on eBay too. I wanted something that distributed weight more evenly to supplement the sling we bought in Portland. I was about to buy one from babyhawk.com when I found this one. (This was the seller's photo, so I've blurred the woman's face.)



Yes, I know it's completely impractical, being made of velvet and and embellished with beading, sequins and metallic embroidery, but I couldn't resist its beauty! I might also purchase a more casual Baby Hawk, and I'm also thinking about an Ergo carrier for Frank. Men seem to prefer it. I feel like I'm getting carried away here (pun intended) but from what I hear from "baby wearer" parents, having a variety of carriers is good for the ole back and a worthy investment. I've been so good about not buying baby clothes, so I guess it had to come out somewhere!

Thanks to the tip from fellow bloggers Kim and Jamie, we found some awesome "Rockabye Baby" lullabies on iTunes that are covers of rock/alternative classics. Our favorites are Led Zepplin's Going to California, The Cure's Just Like Heaven, Coldplay's Yellow and U2's Beautiful Day. These songs work really well as lullabies and don't make you want to smash the CD player after hearing them 27 times!

Our friends, Sean and Julia, were visiting from Asheville and brought us the cute little organic cotton bear that matches our crib bedding. They also gave us the classic book "Goodnight Moon" for our growing collection. Love them both!


Our talented 10-year old niece, Kirsten, made us this beautiful piece of artwork for the baby's room. It's reversible and has 2 very different, but equally cool sides! Now I just need to frame it.


Rosie continues to pick up fun little gifts for us. A recent favorite is this funny onesie:



TIMING
It sounds like things are moving along at an encouraging pace over in Kaz. I hope this keeps up and we really do get there by spring. Good thing I have a TON of stuff to keep me busy. Too much! I'm beginning to think I won't accomplish it all. Better sign off now so I can cross off some to do's before the sun goes down.

But first, below is a short story that I see a lot these days. It's very relevant to adoption, but also to so many other areas of life.

Enjoy and apply lesson liberally. :-)


The Starfish Story
adapted from The Star Thrower by Loren C. Eiseley (1907-1977)

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.


As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”
The young man paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean.”

“I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?” asked the somewhat startled wise man.
To this, the young man replied, “The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die.”

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, “But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!”

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, “It made a difference for that one.”

14 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Regina,
Awesome wings! What a fun find!!

What a beautiful carrier!! Not only will Kaz cutie turn eyes but people will certainly take notice of this carrier. I'd love to see pics of you with the baby in this!!

Oh yeah....Rockabye Baby! I learned about these CD's on Rachael Ray's show (with Kate Hudson) just after Valentine's Day. Our favorites are Led Zepplin, The Cure, U2, and the Rolling Stones. Wonder how *Heart* would sound if they made an Rockabye Baby album? I'll have to give this a mention on our blog at some point. Very cool!!

Great update!
Eileen

Kim said...

We love Goodnight Moon, so fun to read. I posted that Starfish poem on my blog when we officially were Josh's parents. Makes me cry every time I read it. :) You can take any pictures you want of Josh from my blog.
Kim

Jennifer said...

What a gorgeous carrier! I love the Ergo. Gigi went and got it the other day and brought it to me. She wanted me to carry her around in it. How sweet!

Goodnight Moon was Gigi's first book that she seemed to be interested in. I will always have fond memories of that book. :-)

The Kaz Cuties are so cute! I love seeing them all. They make me smile.

Aaron and Julie said...

Ben loves Goodnight Moon....the starfish story makes me cry everytime I read it.....You receive the cutest gifts!! I love your nieces artwork :)

Thad and Ann said...

the carrier is Beautiful, wow! I love, love my carrier, its a Beco, I tried the Ergo but it wasn't comfy for me. Plus the Beco has lots of different fabric's & are cuter IMO. :)
The boys love Goodnight Moon, books are my weakness, other fav.s are; brown bear, brown bear & chicka chicka boom boom.

Susan said...

Goodnight Moon is the best. I still have it memorized and my son is almost 10. :)

Love the carrier, its gorgeous! You gotta be stylin with the kiddo! That could make even "Mom jeans" unnoticable! HA!

Love the artwork you got.
I have been busy filling the walls in baby kaz's nursery and got a GORGEOUS rug made. It's shipping today, i can't wait. I will be taking pictures of it soon.

It's coming together! I hope we go in mid-May or June-it would ease my mind greatly to know, but hey, the unknown is so exciting (not really, in this case, but if i repeat it often enough, i'm hoping it comes reality!)

Love seeing the Kaz cuties. thanks for posting that. :)
I can't wait to see yours with that cool carrier.

ps. I have the ergo and LOVE it. I get a lot of practice cuz i'm lucky knownign a lot of friends with cute kiddo's who let me haul their kids around.

Karla said...

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad I'm finally caught up. I like my verbal notes from you because they're faster but fun to sit down and read, too. He he he. I love Kirsten's art to you (wonder why?) - and I'm waiting anxiously for any word about a possible shower to attend. Keep me posted!
Love ya! Miss ya! Hope to see you guys again soon!

Gretchen said...

Beautiful story and beautiful carrier! I have an Ergo and love it. I tried a sling when I first got home and really liked it but once Serik gained a bit of weight, it hurt to wear it for too long. He loves Goodnight Moon too. A Mother for Choco is also one of his favorites.

Kristan and Mark said...

Hi, I recently found your blog on another blog. Hope that's okay. I never knew how much I would continue to enjoy following adoption stories once I returned home from Kaz. There is just nothing else like it!

I Love the starfish story. I found it when I first started the adoption process many years ago. It's so true.


My favorite all time adoption quote is "Adopting a child won't change the world, but for the child the world will change."

Anonymous said...

That is a KILLER baby carrier. I'm jealous. You'll be the most stylish family on the block, that's for sure. I have a boring old Ergo so now I'll be scouring ebay for the next hour trying to line something up before I leave:-)
Shannon

McMary said...

Beautiful baby carrier--what a find.
You have a lot of great support and have received some awesome gifts. The picture from your neice is the best.
Your little one is going to be so loved!

Trudi said...

that is one amazing baby carrier - you really are an all time great shopper! And now that you have that, and Good Night Moon, everything is falling into place! Hurray! I think you are going to be such fun parents - I will enjoy your journey.

Thanks too for posting more baby pix. I can never see too many beautiful kaz babies. They are just beautiful children!

Kelly and Sne said...

Sounds like you are well into collecting "stuff" for the baby. One day you won't be able to find your furniture underneath it all!

I bought an ergo carrier myself because I heard it was great and figured that the baby bjorn was not appropriate for a 6-12 month old. But yours is much more stylish - I love it!

And I love this story. Although off the topic, I had a similar conversation with my husband while we were in Mexico this past Christmas. I wanted to buy a large bag of dog food for the half-starved stray dogs there. And he asked why as it doesn't do anything to solve the problem. I replied that it solves the problem of finding something to eat for the day for at least one poor dog. I'll probably feel the same way about the poor strays in Kaz. I hope they sell dog food in the grocery...

Matthew Ruley said...

I'm ready for to get your LOI now. I feel like you'll get it today or next week. Just to let you know.