Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Nice Package

Sure, gifts are great. But a creative gift wrapping job? Now we're talking. It is something that is equally as exciting to me.

So imagine my delight when I opened a box of gifts from my fellow blogger friend, Eileen, who is a professional dynamo at creating hand-stamped cards and stationery. Sure the gifts were great (organic baby wash/lotion and a hooded towel) but I was blown away by the gorgeous, custom greeting card she created just for us and the coordinating note card and gift wrap with handcrafted details. Everything was painstakingly created and customized, and the teddy bear was even hand-watercolored!


Eileen went out of her way to find just the right theme for it all to match our Tuscan inspired nursery, after seeing the pictures I posted back in September. What an exquisite design and what a lovely gesture. Thank you so much, Eileen -- you rock!


click to enlarge


Speaking of the baby’s room, we recently made a very special addition to it. Not quite as special as a baby, but after weeks of searching, we found the perfect rocker/recliner. It was difficult to find one that was the ideal mix of aesthetics, comfort, durability and affordability. But we finally found this very important piece of equipment. We anticipate many special moments in this chair…feeding, reading, giggling, snuggling, just hanging out and, of course, snoozing.


It is very cushy, covered in resilient microfiber, gently rocks and fully reclines for some good sleeping (we’ve both tested that out.) The late evening sun has been shining into Habibi’s room so nicely, so I love to curl up in the sun-dappled chair after a long day at work.



I am enjoying the nesting ritual, but it was while I was on this quest for the perfect chair that I suddenly felt incredibly self-indulgent and guilty. I couldn’t help but think that many parents don’t have the luxury of being finicky about their rocker, not to mention the colors of the room décor or finding the best developmental toys. Instead, they worry about things like their child having enough to eat, contracting malaria or having a soft place to sleep.


Frank and I are very sensible consumers, yet when I think of the less fortunate I still feel a sense of over-indulgence. We have both worked so hard for everything we’ve ever had, including our child-to-be and all of the typical American accoutrements that go along with it. But there are other families in the world who have worked just as hard or harder, yet live in a situation where it just doesn’t make a difference. We give our fair share to charity, but I suppose we could always give more, or maybe direct it toward something that feels more relevant to us now. (Or I could just assuage my guilt by opening the pages of People magazine and gawking at J-Lo’s nursery. Oh my stars, that woman could feed all of Africa with the cost of that room!)


I just feel so incredibly grateful to be living in a country, time and place that allows for such trivial indulgences as pretty little packages and the perfect snuggling chair. Everyone should be so lucky.


P.S. Sending our love to the “mother-of-all-bloggers,” Suzanne and her husband, Matt, who recently arrived in Kaz and met their children yesterday!


16 comments:

Sandi said...

What a beautiful package. Eileen is incredibly talented, she sent me a wonderful gift with fabulous wrap too.

I love the rocker it is quick posh looking, very comfy.

BTW I agree, JLO's nursery is something else.. beyond extreme.

I hope your time comes soon to travel and meet your little one.

Sandi

Susan said...

Eileen is not only incredibly talented, but she is so sweet and very thoughtful. I feel so lucky in this journey to have met so many cool people that I would have never met otherwise...YOU INCLUDED! :)
I love your rocker!! It looks awesome! I loved the glider I had when SEan was born. We spent so much time in it. However, although I have bought so many things (I hear you on feeling indulgent), a rocker is something I am waiting on. I am still not sure of the age of kiddo or possibly kiddo's, and I just want to wait and see first. Plus, the room is small, and the rocker will be in the tv room-and it will take some configuring-so, I figure--we have time for that. But man,I do love that chair. It goes perfect with your room!!!

I loved J-Lo's nursery--i thought Gwen Stefani's was scary with that big moon-did you see that one? :)

Great purchase--love your chair. If I Lived closer, i'd come over and test out the nap quality. :)

So excited for Suzanne and Matt-sounds like they have met the most perfect kids for their family. I Love that. :)

Amy said...

What a thoughtful and love-filled gift. Eileen is truly talented!! I love the new rocker/recliner. Sleeping with Haibibi on it will be some of the best sleep ever. Can't wait to see you guys Saturday...Love you both.

Amy

Kim said...

Ok - wow! I would have hesitated even opening the gift. How very sweet!

Angela said...

That is so sweet. What a great gift and as you wrote - fabulous wrap! That was so very nice of Eileen! Wow!

The rocker looks so awesome - like a tan cloud. I feel very grateful for what we have as well. Sometimes I forget and complain, there is no doubt. I also try to remember the quote, "The joy is not in things, it is in us" or something like that.

Thanks for reminding me of all that we have!

Karla said...

Can't top that one! That's awesome...and love the rocker chair, of course. Who wouldn't...I want a turn!!!! :)

Thad and Ann said...

wow! Eileen is very talented, the wrapping & card are beautiful!!
Your rocker looks super comfy. :)
I like looking at what the "stars" have just so I can justify some of the things I buy. LOL

Patrick & Eileen said...

You're welcome Regina & Frank :) It was fun!!

But I have to tell ya....I am so loving that CHAIR!! It looks so comfy & inviting. I wouldn't resist sitting in it that's for sure.

We have a big comfy chair too - Pat wanted one & of course I completely understood :)

Eileen

marsrob said...

Isn't Eileen TALENTED???!!! OH MY GOODNESS that was so nice of her - so sweet!
And, yes, the whole J-Lo room nearly straightened my naturally frizzy hair. Honestly!

Sam said...

Ok Eileen needs to be smacked! She is too cute with that package. get out.....
go on eileen.....

Anonymous said...

I love everything about your blog today - what an amazing gift from Eileen, plus an amazing glider, plus shared gawking at J Lo. I could go on but you are probably wanting to get back to that glider................. ;-)
Shannon

Kelly and Sne said...

Eileen is so talented - and thoughtful! Beautiful card and wrap!

I'm sure your chair will produce lots of wonderful memories for you and your new little one. And may even become an heirloom - so no guilty feelings.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

How sweet of Eileen to send her way cool gift and wrap. Your new chair looks uber comfy, boy I'd lvoe to have one like that! We have been looking but haven't found the right fit yet. Hopefully soon you can give it the real test! Gena, Jaimie and Berik

Teresa said...

Yes, most of us in America are truely blessed in so many ways & we should not be ashamed of our blessings. We all want & often take for granted our supporive friends and family members, material items (comfy chairs), good health, stable government, healthy food, clean water, etc., etc. But like you, I too am grateful to have been born in this country and am humbled by my earlier generations to have made so many sacrifices for my well being and happiness. Both of you will do the same for your baby.

Catalina said...

This is a very sweet package and a very thoughtful gift! I am also feel very grateful to be leaving here, and after coming back from Kaz, I feel even more grateful and lucky. Life is very hard for so many people. I love your new profile picture! and love the picture with your nieces looking for the lady bugs, maybe who knows, Habibi was born, May 6th?!?

Chris & Christy said...

I second that on Miss Eileen's amazing talents! She also made a beautiful card for Z that now hangs in Zahri's nursery! So darn talented. And have you seen the stuff her hubby Pat builds? Man oh Man, I need one of those boys! :)

Love the rocker! I have an older glider that I refurbished that is oh so cute but not as comfy as a true rocking chair. I think that I may need to break down and go rocker shopping too. Where did you purchase yours? Is it a brand that you would recommend me looking at? It has to be nice to look at but comfy too.

Christy