Thursday, March 27, 2008

Forward March

March has flown by. Absolutely flown. I’ve been too busy for my own good, and over Easter weekend I jetted to Indianapolis for a quick visit with my family. I had a nice, relaxing time with them, although the colder weather was a shock since spring has been springing in Charleston for weeks now. As you can see, our azaleas are in full bloom!

One of the highlights of my trip home was seeing my great niece again – the adorable Carissa Nicole, who is almost one year old. It's hard to believe that our child will be close to the same age as my niece's child. Am I really a great aunt? I thought all great aunts were silver-haired, loved to quilt, drive Buicks and eat dinner at 4pm?


Here is little Carissa with her mom, my lovely niece, Sacha.




I’m a little late with this news, but the temporary suspension of the processing of Kaz dossiers by the DC consulate has been lifted!


Apparently, there is a new Ambassador who wanted to assess the existing process. I’ve read that every new case going through the DC consulate will still be under intense scrutiny for awhile, which will slow the processing pace. This prolongment is excruciating for those families caught up in it. It’s hard enough when everything runs like clockwork (not that ours has) and we feel so bad for those who are trudging through this bog.


But understandably, Kaz does not want to fall into the same traps that some other countries have fallen into. Not being regulated tightly enough can leave room for corruption. You’ve probably seen this kind of thing all over the news with Guatemala. It’s only a small percentage of cases, but it’s tragic how greed has had such a catastrophic effect.

Kaz adoption seems to be on the other side of the spectrum. This program is stringently managed and they are extremely protective of their children. Some might say they go overboard, but it takes a lot of diligence and weeding to protect the children and the integrity of all future adoptions. They are also a very proud people, and do not want to be known as a country who cannot take care of their own. Some Kazakhstanis think a child is better off in his or her native country, even if it means living in an orphanage. It's just a different mindset. So chances are that Kaz restrictions will continue to become tighter, and timelines longer, leaving behind even more children who will never grow up in a loving family.


For more about the current state of International Adoption, check out this article: www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1004119.html


And to help support the Kaz orphans left behind, please click on the button below to either donate items or purchase their new cookbook, Cooking For Kaz: Meals for Hope. It has over 200 pages with 298 recipes, pictures, poems and information on Kazakhstan. (I submitted a recipe for the best peanut butter fudge I've ever tasted!)



12 comments:

Susan said...

Carissa is PRECIOUS!!! and you are one way cool great aunt!!!! I would love to have a great aunt as cool as you are. :)
Your azelas' are GORGEOUS!!!

March did fly by..I cannot believe it's April next week. CRAZY!
Glad you're keeping busy. Good to hear from you.

Today is half day at school and i'm volunteering all morning for the "spring fling". I will have my ENERGY ON for pre-K thru 4th grade today. :)

then...spring break next week! Wahoo!!!! :)

Kim said...

Glad you had a nice easter with Carissa, she is a cutie! Thanks for the "shout out!" I can't wait to taste the fudge. :) I read your comment about Walmart on Susan's blog - AMEN to that! LOL!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Carissa is a cutie!! I've met one Carissa in my life....she was beautiful :) I've always loved that name.

I'm sure Charleston is wonderful now. We're getting wacky weather here.

Peanut butter & chocolate happens to be one of my favorite combinations!!

Eileen

Matthew Ruley said...

You are a cutie.

Kelly and Sne said...

Carissa is a cutie! I'd rather have a cool Aunt like you than a fuddy duddy any day! And I'm sure your child will feel the same.

Thanks for the link to the article. Yes, the penatly for waiting exists. It just keep getting more difficult and lengthier. But Kaz is still one of the speedier processes so we're all hanging in there. Like I said, if it were too easy it wouldn't be worth it!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Carissa is such a cutie!!!!

Best Wishes-
Holly and Dean

Jennifer said...

Glad to see you're back. I've missed your posts!

Your great niece is unbelievably adorable! I love those eyes and big cheeks. I'm a sucker for baby cheeks. :-)

Those are your azaleas? Like azaleas you took a picture of this season? Not last season?! Oh man, I'm so jealous! :-) I still have snow around my rhododendrons.

Alysa said...

I'm jealous of those azaleas too! I'm having a very hard time adjusting to the looooong winters in Colorado after being a Californian for over 20 years. My neighbors laughed at me last year when I started planting flowers before Memorial Day!

Anyway, adorable niece. Glad you were able to take the time to visit your family.

marsrob said...

Flowers and spring??? OY I AM SO JEALOUS!!! Carissa is a stunner!

Catalina said...

You are going to be a great auntie! Who said aunties must have grey hair? Carissa is beautiful and I love her name!
Thank you for the nice picture of flowers, you dont know how much I miss it, winter is over here, but still nothing looks like spring. I am also hearing abput here about slowing in the internationl adoption process in Kaz! I hope it will not last too long! I met so many beautiful children here, it is so sad!

Chris & Christy said...

I would have to agree on the 'Kaz is nearly on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to protecting their children.' I am 'trying' to get my first post placement in, and it sucks! We have one at one month home, 3 months, 6 months and a year (I think) for the first year. Are you kidding me!!!!!!???? This is crazy! How do they expect us new families to get home and call our HS agency right away to get our post placement set up? Ugh! It really is a bit much.......but then again, it is what I appreciate about the Kazakhstan adoption system most. I knew that my adoption of Z was legit, and for me, that was huge!

I am SO happy to hear that Kaz has re-opened; when I heard the news of a possible closure, I was just sick with worry.

Christy

Sam said...

what a cute kid! I am going to be in Myrtle beach the 11th until the 13th. I dont get there till midnight on friday. and i leave sunday 2. I think this may not fit in with your plans...