Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Nobody Panic

This has not been confirmed by my adoption agency (who is doing a nice job of keeping in touch with us about it), but yesterday the Joint Council on International Children’s Services posted on its web site that Kazakhstan has temporarily suspended all US adoptions, effective immediately. They are not accepting any more dossiers pending the finalization of a review of adoption cases by the Kazakhstan government.


The good news is that it says they are still honoring dossiers already submitted, so we presumably will be allowed complete our adoption as planned. Any dossier that has already made it through the Kaz Consulate/Embassy will be seen through to completion. That is a big “whew” for us, but it’s also a “holy crap” for many others whose dossiers have not yet passed that milestone.


Little is known right now about why this has happened and for how long it will last. Everyone is hoping that this is just a temporary hold – perhaps for a few months at the most. Please let that be the case!


Even a temporary suspension is extra hard to hear because the last week has been a very scary one in the world of Kazakhstan adoption. Things have not worked out as hoped for some families, for different reasons. It has been devastating for them, and they have endured heartwrenching situations that one could compare emotionally to a miscarriage or even a stillbirth. I don’t want to dwell on this, but I would be remiss not to mention it because I have grown very fond of these people and my heart really aches for them.


I’ll post more on all this suspension stuff later as more information is shared. I just wanted to shed some light because I received several e-mails offering condolences from people who heard about it and are concerned about us. No worries...as far as I can tell we should be good to go.


BUT as Woody Allen says, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”



17 comments:

Susan said...

I know, nothing seems to be really confirmed, and it IS very scary. Plus, then I heard that the lower house of parliament voted on the new family and marriage code.Now, not even sure if that is true, because you never know what's true and what is rumor. But, if that is true, I believe that is where they vote on the parents age. That freaks me out too since I am married to an older and wiser man.

Ugh, this process is really hard sometimes, and we're not even there yet.

Nell said...

holy schmokes... I am keeping every finger I have crossed for you and will try to get a hold of some more, just in case!!
Deep breathing -- you will get your little Habibi soon!!

Amy said...

I am not worried, the stars are aligned to bring together your forever family. I can feel it.

Love you and can't wait to see you soon. HAPPY EASTER!

marsrob said...

This BEYOND sucks. Oh my. I hope so much that it isn't true or that it is so temporary. OY VEY>

Our Family of Bloggers said...

From what I've heard, Kaz has done this before and it lasted for a very short amount of time. Hopefully, if this whole mess is true, it will be for a very short time. It has definitely been a rough week in the world of Kaz adoptions. Hopefully brighter days are coming soon---- in the form of some happy travels!!!

cindy said...

Ignore my email! I just sent you a question about this. My heart goes out to all the affected families.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Thanks for the post. We are glad to hear everything is still a go for you. We would be with the "holy crap" crowd. We are still waiting to hear more details.
Thanks for the secret blog invite! We feel so covert.
Heidi and Terry Biglin

Karla said...

I am not anxious at all...everything is coming together as it should. I just know it. Your travel plans will still happen without interference from any doom and gloom. I love ya!
Enjoy this weekend!!!! I'll be thinking about you!
KK

Anonymous said...

It seems like it is just the DC embassy, who hasn't been processing dossiers for a few weeks anyway, that is temporarily suspending dossier processing. I feel for the families that have to go through DC.
Julie

Kim said...

Yup, pretty much sucks. Those poor children will now have to wait even longer for their forever family. I am glad you seem to be "in the clear."

Kaz Blog Reader said...

I also read what Julie posted - it is just DC. If you can, visualize leaving on your trip, arriving at the baby house all on schedule. I am so sorry for anyone who is affected by DC - it's terrible for everyone.

Kelly and Sne said...

I wasn't concerned until I got the email from LMI... then I wondered... But it sounds like it is just temporary and impacting only dossiers yet to be submitted. I'm starting to believe that you have to have one obstacle or agonizing phase in the process just to prove to yourself and to your child that you truly truly wanted him or her. And, in any case, it is still a lot faster than most countries even though our wait for the LOI seems like it has been measured in years now rather than weeks (9 now but who is counting?).

Teresa said...

I had heard this news, but continue to pray this doesn't affect you, your travels or the "waiting Ruopoli."
God bless & Happy Easter!
Teresa S

d' Knott said...

Maybe I'm weird, but I kind of like the Underground. (As you see I haven't checked in for a while.) I'm religiously honing my babysitting skills, and I'm looking forward to the day when Uncle David gets to babysit the first time. We'll probably just sneak out after you're gone for a couple of games at Twin Rivers and a pitcher or two. Sound good? DaViD

Anonymous said...

Checking in....

We are one of the families affected by the dossier ban. I heard it was lifted today. YIPPY!

I e-mailed you

Diana and Bob

Matthew Ruley said...

Regina and Frank, you two are so cool. I hope our children from kaz will grow up knowing each other. When you get home, lets schedule some play dates. Suz

Anonymous said...

Yahoo, not only am I home safely I get to comment on your blog. As you know, I had trouble in Kaz - I think it was just the dial up? Anyway, now that I'm catching up I hear the suspension has already been lifted - hope it's true and hope some magnetic force is working to GET YOU TO KAZ SOON!!!
Shannon