Sunday, March 16, 2008

Welcome to Club Habibi

We are officially private now. It feels like we’ve gone underground into a shifty, members-only club where we must use a secret knock and meet in dark, hidden rooms -- whispering secrets and covertly conspiring about something scandalous.

I also feel like this post should be about something big and newsy to substantiate the need for privacy.


Sorry guys... I got nuthin’.


I was just thinking that with tomorrow being St. Patrick’s Day, I remembered that I found a 4-leaf clover last year. It was on May 6, 2007, while I was helping 2 of my nieces search for ladybugs in a big field. I glanced down casually and the 4-leaf clover was looking right up at me. I wasn’t even trying or thinking about it. It’s the only one I've ever found. I still have it -- pressed between the pages of a book (Thoreau's Walden.)


How is this relevant to our adoption? Well, I can't help but think that it would be neat if that date, May 6th, is our child's birth date. The timing could work, although that would mean our child is slightly older than we’re requesting. But you never know, and if the dates prove to be serendipitous nobody would ever believe me if I didn't put it in writing beforehand. Of course now that it is in writing, it probably won't happen. :-)


Here are a few photos from that day:


A Lucky Find

Poor Ladybug


Gabrielle


Kirsten


Gabrielle, Kirsten & About 15 Ladybugs Eating Oreo Crumbs


Now I just wouldn’t feel right posting photos of Kirsten and Gabrielle without also posting photos of the other cousins on Frank’s side of the family too!



Lauren & Allison


Lauren & Allison Coming After 'Unka Frankie'


And here are some of my favorite shots of them all together through the years:


Little Darlings


Sweets for Sweeties


Holiday Serious


Holiday Realistic


A Gaggle of Girls


Ganging Up on Oldest Cousin Andrew


Speaking of Cousin Andrew


Silly Geese

They are the neatest kids and we just love them to pieces. They are very excited about getting another cousin soon, and say they don't really care if it's a boy or a girl. They see the benefits of both!

So next time I will have to introduce you to our other 6 nieces and nephews on my side of the family, although they're all grown up now. One even has a baby of her own, which is making me feel way old. We spent a lot of time together when they were little - when I still lived in Indianapolis.

Frank and I love being an aunt and uncle. Having experienced two whole generations of it, we think we've had a pretty good training for the real thing. At least we hope so!


16 comments:

Susan said...

what awesome pics--what fun kids. They will have loads of fun with their new cousins. We have lots of nieces and nephews too...ranging in age from almost 10, to 18 months. 3 boys, 3 girls-they're a lot of fun. They live in Texas and Arkansas though. But here, at home, we have a 11 year old girl, 8 year old boy, and a 4 month old baby girl. Lots of kiddo's to hang with.

May 6th is my mom's birthday (she passed away when i was 17) but ALSO my stepmom's birthday.
If that is not the birthday of your child, maybe it's the day you travel? or the day you meet your kiddo?
who knows, it's fun to think of.

I have never found a 4 leaf clover, that is pretty cool.
Happy St Patty's day!!
thanks for the "secret club" invite. :)

Angela said...

The private thing is a little strange. It does feel so secretive.

A four-leaf clover - that's great! I have never found one. You should lake it to Kazakhstan with you. A friend of mine gave me this little angel charm that her grandmother had the pope bless. That is definitely going in the suitcase. We need all the help we can get.

Oh! What cute, sweet kids! Habibi is going to have lots of fun with cousins!

Thanks for the invite!

Matthew Ruley said...

The secret password? Adelphi, which means friend in latin? Or is it Ya-tibi-ya-loo-bloo which means I love you in Russian?

I sent you a photo which kind of fits with the top secret club thing.

Your nieces look like SO much fun!! Cnt wait to see pics of them with Habibi!

Karla said...

May 6th is my dad's birthday!
I was thinking it would be a travel date, not so much the baby's birthday?? I can't wait to hear it's significance. Thanks for sharing the awesome photos...some of which I hadn't known of their existence! LOL...too cute.

The Kieffers said...

WhooHoo we're in!!!! Secret handshake, password, knock, this blog will self destruct in 10 seconds what ever it takes to protect yourselves and baby habibi. Don't worry you guys will be amazing parents.

Thanks for the invite,
The Kieffer

PS Rhys is wearing his kiss me I'm Kazakh pin today. Too cute!!

Jennifer said...

What beautiful kids! Thanks for the sneak peak into Frank's side of the family.

It does seem odd to me that "everyone" is going private now, but it also makes me excited. I admit, sometimes I feel like I'm the odd man out because I already have my child, and the rest of my blog friends are still going through the rollercoaster of emotions relating to the wait phase. Not only can't I wait for all of you guys to meet your children, but I selfishly can't wait because then we'll all be part of the same club again!

P.S. Thanks for the invite! When I saw it in my inbox yesterday, I breathed a sigh of relief. How silly am I? :-)

Kaz Blog Reader said...

What a beautiful family you have - and what a fabulous group of cousins for the baby. My husband grew up in a family with many cousins and today they remain as close as siblings. I wish that for your baby (and all the cousins) because it is a gift.

So glad this worked out. I don't yet know how to have this sign my name so I will just sign off as -

Trudi aka Aila's Nana T

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Cool, I am in. This secret code thing is kind of sneeky but I am liking it! What a cute family you have. Your baby will be so blessed to have all those great cousins to spoil her rotten! Gena Lloyd

Kaz Blog Reader said...

thanks for the invite.

Your nieces are beautiful!!

Happy said...

Hey--what Karla said (hi, sweetie)! May 6 is my hubby's birthday (her dad), and I also thought it might be the date you will meet your baby for the first time. It won't be long.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

First of all... great idea to circumvent the 100 invite rule. You are brilliant! It will be very interesting to see if May 6th is an important date in this whole process... meeting day? birthday? travel day? With Rylie's first birthday coming up, last week I was looking at my calendar to see what I was doing on the day she was born. I'll just say, the whole thing was very ironic and definitely had it's fair amount of symbolism. Can't wait to watch the journey to Habibi unfold. Thanks for including us along on the ride!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Yeah, I feel so special to be part of your super secret spy club!! Thanks!!

You guys are going to have a blast in Kaz - you have the right attitude and you are obviously loads of fun.

Jodi

Bobbie said...

This is my first blog entry--thanks for the inviting me in.
Frank and Regina, you are going to make the best parents! I knew when I met Regina years ago that she would be a great mom. Your relationship with your nieces shows the patience and love you have for children. Good luck on this journey. I'll be watching and cheering you on from the sidelines.

marsrob said...

WOW THOSE KIDS ARE CUTE!!! And beautiful too! Thanks for the invite..hooray!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Thanks for the invite! I can't wait to follow along on your journey and hoping that time goes by quickly so that you will be on your way to Kaz. Great pictures and cute story about the four leaf clover. It will be neat to see if that date has a meaning!

Laura

Kaz Blog Reader said...

We were out of town yesterday so I missed the big trial but it looks like it works! Impressive!

Glad to be along on the journey.....we started our journey with Nick because of a crazy date so I will not be surprised if your May date is something significant!

Karen of Kitzkazventure