Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's a Boy!

We are madly in love!

Please say hello to our son-to-be, Milan (Milo) Ruopoli.




(We are having internet issues, and it won't let us upload more than a few photos. We will add more asap.)

He is almost 21 months old, and he is precious beyond words. We believe he is a mix of Kazakh and Caucasian. He has medium brown hair, almond-shaped brown eyes, chubby cheeks, pouty lips and a button nose. And he is tall, like us!

He has such a sweet spirit. He is so gentle, smart, funny, silly and incredibly cute cute cute! We are completely over the moon and can’t get enough of him. His personality fits our family perfectly. We feel that we are kindred spirits who have been waiting for each other for a very long time. We can hardly believe what a glorious feeling this is, and any tears we’ve shed lately have been only tears of pure joy.

We are so sorry for the delayed introduction. We wanted to wait until we met with the orphanage doctor, and consulted with our international adoption doctor in the US before announcing him. All is well and he is a healthy boy.

So what has been going on the last few days? Well, we would be remiss to not tell you that we had a shaky start. Here is the full story…

We actually were hoping very much to meet Milan when we came to Aqtobe. We knew of him from reading about him on a couple of other families’ blogs. Several families had met him, but had not chosen to adopt him for reasons I will explain later. But he intrigued us, and we were very much looking forward to meeting him.

When we landed in Aqtobe, we were met by our coordinator, Gulnara (pronounced Gull-nar-ah), one of our translators, Aina (pronounced I-na) and our driver, Ceric (pronounced Sare-ik). We were immediately taken to meet with a man who is the director of all Aqtobe orphanages. His office is in the toddler house. In just that much time, we found ourselves in culture shock. We exchanged brief greetings and he asked us about our families. Frank and I each spoke for about 1 minute. Then he asked to see our passports. After checking them over, he and Gulnara spoke for a few minutes in Kazakh or Russian as we sat on the couch, trying our best to look relaxed and natural. We said goodbye and we were taken to our apartment to do some paperwork with Aina, and freshen up for about an hour before meeting the children.

Ceric and Aina picked us up and took us back to the toddler house. We were met there by Gulnara and a woman from the Ministry of Education, who by law must witness this process. We all went into a colorful playroom and one of the caregivers brought in a little blond, 3-year old girl. She was a cutie pie, although very shy. We spent about 10 minutes playing with her, and managed to get a few smiles. She was darling, but was not the right child for us. Soon we were all off again to the baby house. We were taken into the baby house director’s office and Frank and I sat in 2 chairs while they all spoke for a few minutes. Before long they brought in a sweet 2 year old boy with severe disabilities. He was endearing, although not right for our family at this time. Then they brought in the boy we wanted to meet! We knew it was him and we were so eager to see him.

He toddled in slowly…so slowly…holding the hand of his caregiver. She picked him up and stood in front of us for a minute as he checked us out. He didn’t make a peep. Someone took the 2 year-old boy from Frank’s arms, and the caregiver brought Milan over to us. She placed him in my lap and he sat there, stone faced and still. I talked sweetly to him and tickled his belly a bit. Showed him a couple of toys. He was completely catatonic. He was drooling. He was checked out. Comatose. Frank took him from me and held him on his knee for a while. Frank cooed and spoke sweetly to him. He showed him the toys too. Still nothing. Completely unresponsive. Just more drool. I thought maybe he was mentally retarded. The head doctor told us a little about him…that he is healthy, can even feed himself, and that he had just woken up from a nap. I got down on the floor and sat in front of them, and Frank put Milan down on his feet. I reached to his hands with mine, and he very loosely held on to both of my fingers. I briefly caught his eye, I smiled and cooed, and thought I saw his lips move toward a smile – but almost imperceptibly. Did I imagine it? We looked him over a little as he stood there. His legs looked so long in comparison to his body – way out of proportion. His head looked a little deformed on top. He was wearing a girl’s shirt, disco jeans and big orange sandals. He was a sight! His caregiver then came for him, took him by one hand and they walked out of the room. We watched him go down the hall. So slowly and so stiffly. He could barely walk. His development seemed very delayed for a 20 month old – even for an orphanage child. (It is normal to expect a 1 month delay for every 3 months in an orphanage, i.e. a 20 month old will be more like a 14 month old in even the best of orphanage settings.) But even so, he seemed really far off.

They announced that these were the only children available for adoption at this time, and asked us if we wanted to start the bonding process with this child. We looked at each other and didn’t know what to say. I asked if we could talk it over in the hall for a moment. No problem and no pressure.

“What do you think? What do YOU think? I think we should give him a chance. You think? Yes, let’s give him a chance…he deserves a chance. He just woke up from a nap. And he's scared. Ok. Alright. You sure? Yeah. Ok.”

We let them know, and then we went to lunch with Aina and signed a few more papers. We returned to our apartment for the afternoon. Our first bonding visit would be in the morning.

We were like zombies walking around the apartment, unpacking a few essentials and trying to wrap our minds around everything that was happening. It is unbelievably surreal once you land and start this process. On top of that, we were terrified of the decision ahead of us. We felt pretty sure that we were going to have to go to a different region, as LMI promised if things didn’t work out in Aqtobe. “Don’t unpack yet” we said to each other.

Andrea called and said she heard we had found our baby. I sadly told her that I really didn’t think this was going to work out, but we just wanted to give him a chance – at least for one 2-hour bonding session – since we have heard that orphanage children often are terrified upon first meeting them. They are rarely ever out of their own living areas, and almost never see men unless it is a doctor. He might just be scared stiff.

As we laid in bed trying to sleep when our bodies were on US time, we talked it over a little more. We were so distressed. We considered canceling the bonding session and just going to another city as soon as possible. This little guy just seemed too delayed and we were very concerned about his cognitive development. We decided to follow through with the morning session to show that we at least tried, but to just not do an afternoon session and call Andrea to let her know we’d need to transfer to another region.

We arrived to the bonding playroom – the very one we had seen so many times in other families’ photos. There was the blue carpet with the little bears all over it, the old pianos, the big stuffed animals, the little wooden chairs and the white window blinds. I desperately wished I could have felt happier about it. Aina went to get Milan and he was brought in to us. We sat on the floor with him for a few minutes, showing him all the cool toys we brought with us. As expected, he was still catatonic. We tried everything. When Aina came over to ask me a question, I could not hide the tears in my eyes. I felt bad about her seeing that.

After a few minutes Gulnara told us to try walking around the room with him. Frank scooped him up and we walked around and looked at the big stuffed animals. We looked out the window at the cars. After a few minutes he suddenly pointed to the window with his slobbery finger. Hmmm… he can point. We walked around some more and acted silly with him. I gave him a teething cookie and helped him put it in his mouth. He would not eat it, but just held it in his hand. I took it from him, but as soon as I did he very quickly reached out and took it back. Cute.

We sat back down in our play area and Frank and I laid on our sides with him standing between us. Out of the blue he squatted down and started nesting the stacking cups we brought. Our jaws dropped. We wouldn’t have been any more surprised if he had done a back handspring. Over the next hour he played with the stacking cups, ate all of the cookie, made eye contact several times and gave us some big grins when we tickled him and held him up in the air. He enjoyed the affection we gave him and did not pull back from any of our hugs and kisses. He enjoyed cuddling and being in our arms. Whoa… there IS someone in there! And he is adorable!

During this first visit, we also realized that his big, orange shoes were about 2 sizes too big and stiff as a board. No wonder he was having trouble walking! His mis-shapen head? Simply a bad haircut and the need for a better brushing. His extra long legs? His disco pants were too big for him and practically pulled up to his armpits! All the drooling? He is still teething.

We looked forward to the afternoon visit.

When we arrived in the afternoon he took about 20 minutes to fully warm up to us, but after that it was over. He was a completely different child. He was AMAZING. That was on Saturday. Since then we have had several more visits with him, each one better than the last. He is so good natured, loving and affectionate. Yes, he does have a little catching up to do with his development, but he is normal.

After only a few days together, we are sure that he is “nosh siun.” Our son.

We tell you all of this in detail because we want other adoptive parents to know about our experience. All of the experts tell us to expect this type of behavior upon first meeting some children, especially with toddlers, but there is really no preparation for it, and it totally goes against our nature not to trust such strong first impressions.

Parents, please don’t give up on these kids too soon. It breaks our hearts to imagine not knowing this little guy for who he really is!

So about the reason why Milan was not selected by other families…

He has a very minor correctable medical need. He has strabismus in one eye (it turns inward.) We believe that he hasn’t been adopted up until now because people don't expect this when they travel blind, and therefore are not prepared for it and generally don’t have much knowledge about it. They would naturally feel shocked to see it, and have fears that they don't have the time to research fully.

Having gotten a heads up from reading other blogs, I did a ton of research, consulted with the staff at MUSC Storm Eye Institute in Charleston, and spoke to many parents whose children have had it as well as several adults. It’s such a correctible thing, and medical insurance covers the costs.

Soon I will post more photos fully showing both of his eyes, but for now we just want you to see him, not his eye. He is so beautiful.

We have very limited internet access, but we will post another update as soon as possible!

Much love to you all,
Frank, Regina and Milan

58 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Oh Guys.....what cute photos you shared! How adorable he is!!! It just brings tears to my eyes to see the pictures and read what you had to say.

Thank you for sharing your story. You had a lot of faith where others did not. I'm not sure how you heard about him before but glad you did!

You guys look so happy and so does Milo!!!

Speaking of happy I'm so happy for you three - Ruopoli family!!! Can't wait so show Pat :)

Love & Hugs,
Eileen

Jennifer said...

Wow, wow, wow!! Congratulations!! Thank you so much for sharing the story. Milan is so adorable! I love the name too. It fits with you guys to perfection.

I am so happy you are happy. All three of you look beautiful, healthy, and over the moon.

Congratulations again!

Much love,
Jen

dnd82001 said...

Congratulations on your son - he is precious!!

Also thank you so much for poviding such detail to clearly explain the process - it helps to know the reality of what to expect. I can't thank you enough.

So happy things have worked out - I am in awe and can't wait to hear all about your little son.

Darlene

Angela said...

What a story! I'm so happy you stuck it out and found your son! He is absolutely adorable. My heart swelled for you as I read your post. I type this with my daughter laying beside of me tugging on my son's Corduroy bear. Wonderful things happen in Kazakhstan! Enjoy your time with Milo!

Hugs!
Angela

Amy said...

Beautiful...I am crying for joy. Can't wait to hear more and I knew you would find the perfect child. He is precious and you guys look over the moon! Wow. Love to the three of you.

Kami said...

!!! I am SO HAPPY for the 3 of you! CONGRATULATIONS !!!

It was really hard on me as well when I found out how many families refused Lincoln. It was just unbelievable to me that no one wanted him because of his minor medical condition. But Thank God no one else choose him because I could not imagine our family with another child.

Milo is cute as can be and perfect for you guys. You make a beautiful family. He has had a bumpy road but that road lead him into your arms where he belongs, forever. I have tears of joy for the 3 of you that you are all ready starting to connect. Each smile or smirk you get will melt your hearts I am sure.

I look forward to reading more about your adventure!!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Congratulations! I was so happy to read your post. He looks and sounds wonderful! Happy bonding!

Lori

Julian and Sara said...

What a touching story! I have tears in my eyes remembering our first few days in Kaz and a similarly difficult decision. But what a difference a few days makes! I'm so happy for you and for Milan!! Thanks for sharing the very personal side of this process.

Sara

Kaz Blog Reader said...

YEAH!! He's perfect! If you had posted when you were still feeling unsure, I would have suggested you ask to see him in action in his room with all of his peers. We had some of the same concerns with our son, but the minute we saw him in his own environment, we knew that all our fears were for nothing! I'm so glad you found your guy...it makes me cry thinking back to the day we met our son. Have fun...enjoy every moment! Are you guys staying for one long trip or splitting it into two?

Lisa Masse

Amy said...

I posted too quickly before I read about his strabismus. My cousin's 3 year old had this also, and after a VERY minor outpatient procedure, her eyes are completely normal!! She wears glasses, and they look so cute. Just wanted to ease your mind, but sounds like you've already done your research!

Susan said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this because you just knew-you were scared, but you just knew and you wanted to give him a chance. You gave him a chance, and he showed you what a cool kiddo he is and how he is a Rudopoli kid.

I am so full of joy for you guys and for Milo. That is a cool name...it's so very you!!!

I am so so so happy for you.
It's so hard to not judge a book "by it's cover " so to speak, and look beyond what seems to be obvious, and look inward and give the kid time to warm up to you.

I'm so full of joy in my heart for you guys. It's so apparent you made the very right decision and it gives me renewed hope and faith. :)

BLESS YOU GUYS!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

AND i AM SO SO SO HAPPY for you. :)

I so cannot imagine "choosing" a child that way. It seems surreal and incredible difficult. But you did know-you were scared, unsure, but you knew enough to see him again and give him a chance.
I am so so so happy. Can i just say that a million trillion more times?

Nell said...

What a cutie! Welcome to your family, Milan!

Regina and Frank - I am so excited for you! What a wonderfully nerve-wracking experience and what a great story to tell Milan when he's older -- how you just knew he was the one.

Can you post the pronunciation? I have a friend who's just had a Milo (what is it about Milos that make them so adorable?!) so I have that at "My-Lo" but is Milan "Mee-Lan," "Mee-Lon," "Me-Lon" (like Italy!) or "My-Lan"?

Whatever it is, he's precious and I can't wait for more pictures and stories!

p.s. Hey Milan -- I've seen pictures -- you have a cool room and a great yard to play in! Whoohoo!

Sandi said...

Regina and Frank,

I am over the moon happy for you guys. Milan is absolutely adorable and truly looks like the perfect fit for your family.

I am so happy that you explained the process in detail it is definitely a huge help for waiting paps, and you explained it to a tee.

So glad you did not doubt yourselves or walk away, Milan is such a Ruopoli.

BTW my best friends sons, both of them had strambisimus and it is totally correctable and the surgery is very easy.

Gosh I am just gushing looking at his picture and reading your post.

Hugs to you guys.

Sandi

Kim said...

Congratulations! This is definitely the best "our first meeting" story I have read. I love it! Thank you for telling the truth and reassuring PAP's not to give up! I am so happy for you both and MIlo. I can't wait to read more! He looks precious!

Kim

PS - very "hip" name for a very "hip" family!

Thad and Ann said...

I'm so happy for you guys!!! I have tears from your story, what a precious little guy you have. Milan is so cute! I'm so glad you are so honest about the process.
Congratulations!! :)
Hugs-
Ann

Kaz Blog Reader said...

As I sit here writing this I am trying to see through the tears. What a great story. I am so glad you you gave him a a chance! I am with Kim, the best first meeting story I have ever read! He is beautiful!!! I am sure you are over the moon with joy!! When is his actual birthday?? Haven is an August baby too!!
Congrats again on meeting the loves of your life!!!
Stacy

Kaz Blog Reader said...

What an adorable and beautiful boy! What a beautiful story! What a beautiful family you make! Congratulations to all 3 of you for finding each other. Isn't it amazing how destiny works?!! Clearly he was meant to be your son...no one else's. Enjoy getting to know him and becoming parents.
Love,
Sheila, Stephen, Maxim Garrett

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Dear Frank, Regina and Milo:
Congratulations! You all look incredibly happy together. What a wonderful story of hope and love you have to share with Milo and other PAPs. Thank you for being honest about the process and true to your hearts. I know you will enjoy each and every day spent in Kaz, and I wish you all the best!
Owen's mom

Michelle and Glenn said...

Congratulaations to all three of you!! Milo is adorable and we can't wait to read more about him.

Thanks for sharing the detail of your story as it will help many PAPs like ourselves.

Chrissy and Russell said...

Oh, so amazing!!!! Thank you, thank you for sharing the detail and letting all of us follow along. I had to close my office door and ignore all my students this morning because I was reading your blog, fully riveted, in the 5 minutes I had before class! :^)

CONGRATULATIONS, Ruopoli family. What an amazing journey. I'm so happy for you!!!!!!

Angela said...

YEA!!!!!! Congratulations on finding your son! He is a doll and it sounds like he is indeed YOUR son. I am so thrilled for you and so glad that you are settled into life with Milan after an unsure start.

Congratulations! And, enjoy getting to know him!

P.S. Our Luca was a drooler (buckets, I tell you, buckets) and he is a smart cookie.

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes. How beautiful!

I recall a blog I was following about a year ago where a family came home empty handed. They had been presented with several children, all of which they perceived to have severe medical needs. One child in particular has stuck in my mind since that time. His condition would have required a couple of surgeries (costly, lengthy surgeries) to correct. However, in the end his condition was completely correctable. Many times Bob and I have commented on how we would have taken that little boy. Sure he was a little rough around the edges but heck, I'm not perfect. And I certainly have had some repairs and maintenance along the way.

Congratulations on your family!
What wonderful, inspiring parents you are. This was truly meant to be!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Regina and Frank, we are so happy for you! Your storytelling is beautiful and amazing and we are so thankful that you are sharing such intimate details. As you know, we went through a similar experience just four weeks ago. Despite all of the reassurances from doctors and caretakers, our 17-month-old Zak acted like a 3-month old with some significant development issues during our first 2 visits. And, as you know, he transformed into this amazing child. He was just scared to death during our first few visits! We are so overwhelmingly happy for you, as it sounds like you have found the child who has been meant to be yours for months and months. We cannot wait to follow your story. Congratulations!! You will LOVE this adventure!!!

Alysa said...

Milan is adorable! I'm so happy you found him and him you. What a wonderful family the three of you make! Beautiful pictures and a beautiful boy.

As always, your post was so real. Thank you for sharing all the details of the process and how you both felt as it was happening.

Happy bonding!
Alysa

hgoss said...

Woo hoo! I am so happy for you! So glad you had heard of him to do your research before hand. You all are a gift for each other.

Hanna

Kelly and Sne said...

Frank and Regina, congratulations on finding your son! And thanks for sharing all of the gory details of traveling blind. I, too, had strong doubts about Miraz although we were drawn to him because the other child seemed more active and developmentally advanced and Miraz just sat there - catatonic like and drooled too! We kept saying to each other that night - boy I hope that Miraz comes out of his shell! We, too, felt like we were 'giving him a chance.' And boy we, too, were glad that we did. In a day or two he was a completely different happy active sociable kid!

I am so happy that you took the leap of faith to start the process, to travel when you did and to start bonding with your Milo. He is a beautiful boy!

The Kieffers said...

CONGRATS TO THE THREE OF YOU!!!!! People always say what a good thing you did adopting, I always respond; it was selfish on my part I wanted a child. Well I have to agree with the masses here. You guys did a great thing giving this little guy a fighting chance. Oh and what a wonderful job Milo did waiting for you to get that dossier finished and that stinkin LOI issued. We are very excited for you guys. He is adorable and looks perfect as a Ruopoli.

Best Wishes,
The Kieffer's

Marlene said...

Oh Regina and Frank,

I cannot express how happy I am for you. I knew that your hearts would confirm your child to you. It was also no surprise to me that your hearts chose Milan. What a blessing you will all be to each other.

The gang here is overjoyed for you and sends their love. We are all so excited and can't wait for more pictures and updates.

We love you both. God Bless you as you continue on this awesome journey to parenthood.

All My Love
Marlene

Lady said...

Congratulation! To both of you, your boy is so cute and beautiful we can’t wait to meet him. Thank you for sharing your experience and sharing your most intimate feelings and worries with all of us.

I had teary eyes while reading your story. God is so good and I thank him for giving you the opportunity to experience motherhood and for guiding you to Milan, he was there waiting for you all these months, he was there waiting for his mom and dad to come and pick him up, he knew both of you were on the way to reunite with him, it was just a matter of time.

He was never adopted before because he had your name imprinted in his soul and he was patiently waiting for YOU his family to come, he belonged to the Ruopoli family since the day he was born but no one knew it but one being.
We can’t wait to meet him.
Love,
Lady/Dylan

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Congratulatuons--He is adorable. Once again I am sitting here with tears of joy streaming down my face. I wish you all the best!!!!

Holly (and Dean)

AG said...

OMG Guys! This is so awesome! I cried like four times reading this article. Regina, I love how you describe everything, and how you guys don’t hide anything you thought or felt. It’s so refreshing.
Milo is adorable!!! And you guys look adorable with him. I can’t wait to meet him!!!
I am sooooo happy for the three of you.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Thrilled beyond words. Truly, I am just so happy for you three. Milo is beautiful! What a gorgeous little guy! I am so happy that you both followed your heart and showed up for the morning visit. But isn't it amazing how in a way, you just knew? Despite the anxiety and the overwhelming feeling- you just knew, he was Habibi (only, thankfully with a way cooler name--- love love love the name!)
I am just so unbelievably happy for you three. You are all so lucky and blessed to have found one another. Enjoy this time together as a new family of three!
PS- Does Milo know how much money people pay to get lips like that? He is truly just gorgeous!
Much love from AZ-
Sara, Adam, & Rylie

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Congratulations, Regina, Frank, and Milo! I was hoping so much that you had found your child when I checked your blog this morning. What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing this with us! He is adorable. Can't wait to hear more about your son and your adventures in Kazakhstan.
Lisa and Corey

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Wonderful news! Milan is simply adorable. Glad you shared your story about what your initial impressions were and what the reasons for them were (kinda funny reasons, too, like the pants up to the armpits). It shows we shouldn't be quick to judge even though every fiber of our being wants to make a judgement. Wishing you the best over there in Kaz with your soon-to-be son-to-be. Tricia

Anonymous said...

I think he is a doll, and love his mouth! I also think he will be amused at your description of the first meeting ;-) The disco jeans and drool, that's classic!

Very very happy for you guys,
Shannon

marsrob said...

Oh my friends! Oh my ffriends!!!! We are soooooooo happy for you and for this tiny little sweet, GORGEOUS boy!!! Thank GOD you decided to hang in there - it IS soooooo scary when children start out so checked out. Aila felt scary in that same way to us on the first visit. We went home with our heads spinning. But - the next day it happened JUST LIKE YOU. Each visit got better and better. This is GREAT news. GREAT NEWS!!!! JOY!!! You have met your match! A little tiny sweet boy! Oh, we are doing a dance over here in RI for you! Hoorayyyyyy! We send love to all 3 of yoU!!!!

xoxoxoox

cindy said...

You are a family!! Already, the love and bond between you and your son is amazing in these photos. Thank you so much for so openly sharing your story -- it can only help future parents find and bond with their children. And so the Ruopoli adventures begin! Much love, Cindy Matt and Astrid

marsrob said...

Ok, not to focus on the total wrong thing or anything, but I was just looking at the photos again and the 3 of you are a GORGEOUS family! Seriously! WOW!

Sonia Tarter said...

Well Regina and Frank,
I am glad this is being typed on the computer, or the paper I would be writing on would be drenched in tears...HAPPY TEARS!!! I was so incredibly excited to see the first pictures of my new nephew!! I was on the phone with mom reading your post to her and explaining to her how adorable and cuddly Milan looked with his chubby cheeks and poofy lips. All mom could say in a broken tone was "Oh I wanna see my new grandbaby" I could tell she was crying with joy!!! Her and dad will be here tomorrow so they will see the photos and I am gonna print them out for them to take home and show off their new grandson. OOOOOhhh I am gonna kiss those chuby cheeks and poofy lips so much when I finally get to meet him in person. You and Frank are absolutely beaming in the pictures and I can feel and see the love you guys are feeling!! I have goose bumps just thinking about all you have gone through to make a family, but know this, it is an unbelievably beautiful family and beauty takes time! I truly feel he was put on this earth for you guys and no one else had adopted him because he was yours to have all along!!!!!
I love you guys with all my heart, give Milan a big hug and kiss from his aunt Sonia!! Hugs and kisses all around!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for more photos!!
Your big sis,
Sonia Tarter

Tenneva said...

Congratulations!! Welcome Milan to the family!!

He is so adorable. I can't wait to hear all of the fun parent stories. You three truly look as if you were meant to be a family. Give him hugs and kisses from me and my family. Hugs and kisses to you guys too.

Love you,
Tenneva

Stacey said...

I can't believe it's finally here!!!! He is so adorable. You guys look so great together. I can't wait for you to introduce him to the family. I know Tyler will just love playing with him. Enjoy the rest of your time there!

Love you guys,
Stacey

Catalina said...

Regina and Frank, we just came back from Kaz to pick up the children on FRiday afternoon, I was so happy to read the updates in your blog. Milan is so beautiful. Congratulations!!! Dont worry about strabismus, this is really minor problem, as long as he is otherwise healthy. I love the picture of all of you together, best of luck to your family of 3
Catalina

Sam said...

WHat a sweet boy!
conggrats

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Congratulations! Your son is beautiful.

Tracey
www.delrosarioadoptionsaga.spaces.live.com

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Regina, Frank & Milo,
Congratulations!! There really are not words to tell you how happy we are for you. Great, great news.
Heidi and Terry Biglin

Amy said...

Congratulations to the three of you!!!

It is so true!!! I saw so many families in Ust that were freaked out the first two to three days of their arrival. They were so scared to death that their child's lack of everything meant they were not normal. One family in particular thought their little boy was autistic and almost took a pass on him - by the end of the first week the same little boy was just babbling up a storm and was reaching out for them when they came into view. Today I got several photos of him and he looks even more perky (if that is possible) than ever. So it is very true that the poor kids have to be given a chance to show themselves. One or two days isn't that much time and they are so worth it.

So excited that you have had a good experience so far and can't wait to follow along as you get to know your little guy more! Isn't it an incredible experience? And doesn't all the frustration of waiting and the paperwork just fall away? Makes it all worth it and more huh?

Congratulations again you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

What a glorious day it is...a family is born. He is beautiful. For your patience you've earned the ultimate reward. I am thrilled to hear that you gave this little boy a chance...he chose you, he would not open up until he found the 2 that he could trust to love him forever.

Congratulations to all 3 of you!

You're in my thoughts and prayers,
Maria

Kaz Blog Reader said...

I was going to post yesterday but held back. After seeing the pictures I can't do it any longer! He is just beautiful. He is so precious and you can see the playfulness in the pictures. I love it! I am thrilled to pieces for all three of you. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.
Much Love,

Hope

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Frank, Regina, and Milo,

Adoption is a miracle. Across miles through the many possibility, families are formed when just the right people come together. Milo is meant to be your son. You will treasure retelling his story forever and ever.

I am glad you had the strength to continue begin bonding with this child and the eyes to see clearly into his soul.

Congratulations,
Shanna
Tamar and Libby's mom

Kaz Blog Reader said...

You are beautiful people to see with such love and insight into the soul of your child and embrace him for who he is. He is a lucky little boy and you will be blessed many times over. Congratulations!
Trudi

Stephanie and Gary said...

Seeing the photo of the three of you together is like seeing your whole journey summed up in one beautiful photo of a new family. You continue to be an inspiration to me in so many ways! God bless you for giving Milan a wonderful life.
Congratulations for finding your Habibi!!
Steph

leah maría suárez said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so relieved and happy to read such a beautiful story!! You make such an amazing family and I know he is well worth the wait and anguish. Enjoy your time and I can't wait to meet Milo!!! :) He is simply adorable.

LOVE,
Leah

Chris & Christy said...

I am crying! I know this boy! I never met him, but I too heard abouut your son. :) I am SO happy that you gave him a fair chance, SO HAPPY!

Last night I checked your blog and there was nothing, in all honesty I got a little concerned. Then today, I check and I am the 52nd person to comment. Holy Moly! Where was I? :)

I am so excited that you are so in love with Milan, you are probably right, you are kindred spirits. Isn't it so crazy how that happens!

I remember meeting Z, and I knew that I wanted to bond with her from the minute they accidentally told me her birthday was my same birthday (different year of course) but I was so worried that she too was so far behind and lacked any personality or mobility. Every day she came out of her shell more and more and today I am amazed that she is the same little peanut I met in December.

I can't wait to watch Milan grow through your blog.

You are all so blessed!!!!!

Christy :)

Chris & Christy said...

Still crying looking at your family's photos! Beautiful!

Christy

Teresa said...

CONGRATS!!! I am sooooo happy for all three of you! He is darling! Thanks so much for sharing so many details. Milan is certainly lucky to have y'all as parents. You will love him forever! I am so enjoying following your blog. Regina (yes, Frank you too) are doing a fantastic job.
Thanks again!
Teresa S.

Dana said...

I am so happy to see your journey beginning!! While you're waiting it feels like it will never happen but it did! I can't wait to read more about your family of 3. Adoption is such a wonderful way to become a parent. I wouldn't change it for anything. Enjoy everyday with your child while in Kaz. You will never have these special days with him back again.

Susan said...

I had to post again to tell you i had a really funny dream last night. This is the 2nd time I've dreamed about you-what's up with that. :)

I was (I guess in Kazakstan) and i walked by what was like a hosptital room and I recognized Milo. I walked in and I said HI MILO-I know your parents! and he grinned and said hi! then i played with him for awhile. Then, one of the mom's of a girl in Sean's class came in and told me i had to leave that if the caregivers saw me talking to someone else's son it would affect our own adoption.

SO WEIRD. :)

Your son is very cute and i can't wait for the next update.

Signed,
Dreamweaver

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

I see that for whatever reason my comment last night did not go through, so let me just say that I am so happy to see that Mom, Dad and Milo are together. Much Love.

Steve, KJ, and Tougy