Saturday, June 7, 2008

MTV Cribs - Aqtobe Edition

Our apartment in Kaz was not as bad as others I’ve heard of, but it was pretty small and needed a lot of TLC and cleaning. Our friends, the Kieffers, said that we absolutely had to stay in a dump to have the real Kaz adoption experience.

We did ask to stay at the same place for the next trip if it's available since we know its pros and cons -- the biggest pro being an air conditioner, which is like gold over there. Plus we know our neighborhood now, and we are located near plenty of shopping, restaurants, the wi-fi coffee shop and the 24-hour grocery store – all important conveniences.

Below is a peek into our nifty Kaz crib. But first a little story:

Late one night someone was painting the floor in the stairwell of our apartment building. The noxious fumes wafted into our apartment for hours. They were overwhelming. We opened all the windows and turned on our trusty air conditioner, but it didn’t help much. The scent was so strong I could actually taste it, and it was nothing like any paint I had ever smelled. We couldn’t really leave because it was late at night. Frank explored the hall and said it was completely filled with a thick fog from this "paint." We later learned that this is actually a type of insecticide treatment. Hello, lungs? Are you still there???

On to the tour...


This is the front of our building. Our apartment is towards the left. We were on the 3rd floor, so we didn't have to walk up too many flights with our groceries.



This is the back of our building. It's the only point of entry. To the right is a playground made of old painted tires and steel pipe equipment.


The entry door to our section of the building. It has a coded lock on it.


Our apartment door was a thick steel door with a deadbolt lock that used an old-school skeleton key. Opening this door felt like we’re entering a submarine. Immediately behind the steel door is a regular wooden front door. Notice the fashionable faux wood paint job!



Once inside, it wasn't so bad. This is the entry hall with nice, wood floors, a modern set of entry furniture and a light lavender paint job. Notice the smashed bug on the wall? It was there when we arrived, along with several more that we chose to ignore - for this trip at least! In the back you see the refrigerator and the door to the bathroom.


The living room had a nice desk, a good chair, a television, big window and pretty curtains. You can see the funky, but effective air conditioner in the upper right corner.



The matching couch and chairs in the living room were straight out of 1982. They were comfortable, if not a little musty.



Ahhh... the rich, textural experience of the living room wallpaper.



On to the kitchen, which had those nice floors and a cute little breakfast table with stools. The electric tea kettle rocked. It boiled water in about 45 seconds flat. How did I live my whole life without having one of these? We already bought one for our home!


Nice microwave oven with a winking chef for our cooking encouragement.



We were afraid to use the gas stove, but might give it a shot next time.



The fridge wouldn't fit in the kitchen, so its home was at the end of the hall. It was a noisy brat. The bathroom doors are to the right and the entry hall is to the left.



Milo's gonna love this. Nothing a little duct tape can't fix.



The bed was comfy by Kaz standards, although not quite as plush as our quilted king-sized mattress at home. The door to the porch is in the bedroom, to the left.



There were no closets -- only a large armoire. The doors were troublesome, so we just lived out of our suitcases. I can't look at this armoire without remembering the empty box that fell off the top of it. It apparently once contained some kind of mysterious Kazakh birth control device.




I just like this photo of Frank passed out one afternoon.




Ahhh...the glittery, glamorous experience of the bedroom wallpaper.





The tub/shower and the sink in the bathroom shared one faucet, which is pretty clever. You just push the spout to the left or right as needed, and you pull on a lever to switch the flow to the shower head. The tap water seemed fairly clear in Aqtobe -- at least this time of year -- but as advised, we didn't drink it. The hot water only went out once, which is good from what I hear. But we learned a new dance we like to call the Kaza Shuffle when the hot water would surge while we were showering. Ok, I have a confession to make...I Photoshopped the tub to make it not look so dirty, because it was, in fact, filthy when we got there and I'm embarrased to say that we couldn't even bear to clean it. But even with digital doctoring, it still looks bad! Next trip we are having a rubber glove party on our first day. (And no, I'm not talking about in the bedroom, you pervs!)





The hot water pipes came out of the wall into an “S” coil, which served as a towel warmer. It worked well, and this was perhaps my favorite feature. There was a washing machine in the bathroom that drained into the bathtub, but we didn't attempt to use it this trip. We just hand-washed in the sink and hung them to dry on the porch in true Kazakh style.




All I can say is pew! There are no stops between all the toilets in the apartment building, so this tiny room could pack quite a pungent punch. Luckily the solid door kept the scent from wafting anywhere else, and we only had to be in this room for one reason. Well, two if you want to get technical.




Our porch and clothesline. The windows opened up to let in the breeze. I sat out here one afternoon and observed an awesome thunderstorm.



Our view to the park outside. This is as green as it gets in Aqtobe.



For all you Quoizel people out there. Timeless designs?



We bought all of our drinking/cooking water in large 5-liter bottles from the supermarket. We went through about 1 bottle per day.




The good thing about Kazakh toilet paper is that it doubles as paper towels!



The best yogurt EVER. (Other brands weren't as good.)




GRAND FINALE VIDEO:


"The Bucket"

(This may take a minute to buffer, but it's worth it if you want a laugh.)

I cut this video off at the point when you hear me gagging.
Frank thinks I should keep it in to honor the artistic integrity,
but I think it's best to leave it to your imaginations!

29 comments:

Sandi said...

Ok seriously I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Oh my gosh, what the heck was in that bucket.

The things we do for our kids. You can remind Milo of this when he is doing his chores as he gets older. Hehehe

I love the tour of your fabulous apartment.

Heres to checking off the days until you are off to Kaz to pick up your beautiful son..

Sandi

Susan said...

LOL you guys are HILARIOUS. I am with Sandi-laughing my butt off.

Well, they say a sense of humor is "key" to this experience, and I think you have demonstated that.
I wish we could be in country with YOU GUYS!
Your apt is LOVELY.
I love the textured wall paper.

Everyone says the toilets really stink. Fun times.
you didn't mention it, but also you can't put toilet paper down them? That sounds rather delightful.

I wonder what was in the bucket.

The socket hanging on for life was interesting too.

Ya'll are awesome. :)

Hopefully, they will do Kazapoolza again next year, and hopefully by next year, we will have our Kaz kid too. I have to meet you guys.

:)

marsrob said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS!!! We are laughing SO HARD!!! You are too much!!!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Pat & I have been laughing at that video!! Are you sure you want to go back there? Yikes! Well it sounds like yukky bacteria growth in that bucket over who knows what period of time!

Wow...I can't believe the insecticide! Poor guys! Kelly mentioned on her blog the paint fumes at their babyhouse. Doesn't sound too smart!

Thanks for the tour. I'm sure being back home has been super after that!!

Anyway...too much to comment on. The photos really say it all anyway :)

Eileen

dnd82001 said...

WOW sounds like quite the adventure!!

And you want to go back and stay in the same place?!!?

The video is very very funny!!

Darlene

Kaz Blog Reader said...

THAT VIDEO IS SOOOO HILARIOUS!!! I am laughing my butt off while I watch this and my kaz kid (4yrs old) is saying, "What, what mommy, what's so funny, I don't get it." I certainly had those smells over there but never had quite the fun getting rid of it as you two did!

I am really happy for you two and MIlo is precious! I still can't get over the new requirements, but you two will get through it!

Laurie

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Thanks so much for sharing that video!!! Corey and I were laughing hysterically!!! It's been awhile since I've laughed quite that hard. Your place certainly was interesting!
Wow!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

OK--accidentally sent before signing my name above...
Lisa

Alysa said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! But, I have to say I'm glad I know about The Bucket in case I get the same apartment! Looks like you had fun with it, despite the nastiness. Great tour!

Julian and Sara said...

Too funny! We had the same winking chef on our microwave and the same awesome kettle. Did your kettle light up - blue when off and red when on? Thanks for the grand tour!

Sara

Teresa said...

Thanks for the tour - - shouldn't have to spend much time cleaning up or cooling the apt down - - cozy!!! Glad to see you are maintaining your wonderful sense of humor.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Very funny video! Reminds me of when we had to clean human poop from in front of our door. The gag factor was definitely in effect!

Loved the Electric Water heaters too! Did you find one there that had our plugs or did you find one hear...please tell....I would love to get one. I was obsessed with it over there.

Way to keep that sense of humor! We took pics of all of our apts and had some similar views. Did your apt have the weird styrofoam ceiling tiles that were really ornate?

Such a great post! Thanks for the laughs! karen of Kitzkazventure

Kaz Blog Reader said...

You guys are too much fun - I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Thank you for sharing the video :)

I LOVED the kettles, too. They were beyond awesome. Thanks for the tour, so much if it is oh so familiar - even the S water heater in the bathtub that doubled as our drying rack as well :)

-Julie

Dana said...

Great video!! Milo will laugh too at it one day. I hear every family has a "crazy story from Kaz." Good thing you have a great sense of humor. Glad you added it to your blog!

Amy said...

Love "The Bucket" video. Can't imagine what was growing in there! Thanks for sharing your apartment...it was GROOVY baby!

Stephanie and Gary said...

What a great informative post!! I assume you knew you'd be posting such a detailed post in time about the apartment. I had to watch the video twice because 6 year old Emma wanted to know what I was laughing at. She loved it too and said "Eww! I can smell it from here! Or maybe I farted."

Please email me at StephUSA@aol.com and tell me what camera you use to video. Is it your regular digital camera or a video camera? THANKS!
STeph

Kristi Gruizenga said...

OMG you guys crack me up!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Love the post Regina and the video was priceless. I agree that the Danone Cherry yogurt there is fantastic, especially mixed with a little muesli (the blue and white box). It was my breakfast everyday for both months in Astana. I will certainly say that the apartments in Astana were a level or two above those you have shown, though the cost was probably far greater as well.

Hoping that you summer days in Charleston go by quickly. Take Care.

Angela said...

OMG, that was hilarious! Only those who have stayed in a Kaz apartment can appreciate glitter wallpaper and strange, okay terrible, smells! Our smells came from a vent in the bathroom - completely awful! Thanks for sharing. Seriously funny!

Catalina said...

The apartment look similar with the one we stayed in, the stairways were very bad though (in ours). You brought lots of memories - I feel like I have been there 10 years ago. Very funny video :)

Matthew Ruley said...

We had the same couch except that ours was covered in nasty wool blankets. And we also had the joint spiket. I liked the Aktiva yogurt that had wheat and raisins on the front - yummy! And I also got adicted to the Cherry juice by Gracia (i mentioned the brand on our blog but quickly forgot the name). And we had an outlet just like that! Cool! Your apt looks alot cleaner bigger and nicer than our first one (in Ust). But our Almaty one was fabu - wait till you get to Almaty - its a dream!

The video really cracked me up - tears!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

HYSTERICAL!!!
I, too, loved that yogurt! And the glittery bedroom wallpaper- that is hot. I loved it!
Thanks for the sneak peak into your lives in Aktobe.

Karla said...

Great job on keeping us up to date. I hope you are finally going to bed and waking at reasonble hours now. Good to see you the other day and can't wait til the next time!! xoxoxox Karla

Kaz Blog Reader said...

HILARIOUS! I laughed SO HARD. Aside from the bucket, it looks like you had a very nice apartment. I am not surprised you requested it again - and I do hope it is SOON that you are back there for sweet Milan. Trudi

Anonymous said...

Great photos! My apartment was similar, but I don't think the sheets were as clean. Alexa and I both had bites in the head/shoulder area - yuck.

You guys are hilarious.
Love, Shannon and alexa

Sonia Tarter said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can not stop laughing! You guys are such a fun couple!!! It's so good to see you have kept your sense of humor!! I am so proud to be related!! MMMMMMUAH!!! XOXOXOXO
I can't wait to see you guys again soon!

Your big sis,
Sonia

Alison said...

Thank you for all of the detail. Your child is beautiful and our prayers are with you for this process to be completed swiftly - but you will find in every detail something to relish for the rest of your lives.
Our two trips to Kazakhstan (in 2000 and 2006) remain the most significant moments of my life - and I love to find memories in the details of each photo, and each blog entry.
McCracken Poston
Dad to Alina, Mac and Cal
www.postontrip.blogspot.com

Kami said...

The video was great. Good way to capture the not so fun moments in Kaz!

We checked out several apartments while in Aqtobe both for potential ones to rent or ones our friends were staying in and I have to tell you that the you are in is one of the better ones in the city. Yes it is pretty yucky and all the dead bugs on the wall was funny. Of course, funny for me it wasn't my apartment.

Once you go back head to Almaty as soon as you can, it is more expensive but wonderful city to visit.

Chris & Christy said...

Although this was also my apartment I can can't take credit for the smashed bugs on your walls. Yikes! :)

The photos are great! I might steal a couple. :) The towel warmer was a great touch hu, other than when I burned myself on it (several times) while getting ready. And you are SO right, that toilet smelled funky all of the time - yuck! As for the stove, Bayana had to come over and teach me how to use it. She thought I was a bit nuts seeings that I didn't know that you had to actually light the gas in the stove part too. It is a bit scarey...but it does work! :) Fond memories of little Z and I in that place. :)

Hint: Do not, I repeat, Do not, put the two chairs together to make a bed for Milo. :) Z accidentally crawled right out of my make shift bed and feel straight on her head the first night I had her. I thought for sure I had killed her. It was quite tramatic. :)

Thanks for posting photos of 'our' place. :)

Christy