Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Week 1 - Hurricane Milo

Hello! Sorry it has taken so long to post an update, but there is this little gremlin that takes up 97% of my time these days! I guess I shouldn't be such a perfectionist anymore with my blog writing, but old habits die hard.

All is well here, although we got off to a rough start. But good things first:

Milo is doing just fine! He is generally a cheerful little boy and wakes up with a smile every day. He is eating well and loves everything I’ve fed him so far. He is very active, curious and fearless!

He seems to enjoy music -especially slow songs. Whenever he hears music he does a little twirl with his hands in the air, or he sways back and forth from foot to foot. It's something I believe they taught him in their "music and dancing time" at the orphanage.

Our relationship has grown leaps and bounds in one short week, and we beginning to understand each other on many levels. It’s an indescribable feeling. I love him more every day and I can only imagine what it will be like as our relationship deepens over the coming weeks, months and years.

I can't believe how much English he already understands. It's just little words and phrases, but I'm impressed! He is comfortable with me and seems to be bonding to me well. He comes to me whenever he gets the slightest boo-boo and he wants me to kiss it. He wants to be in the same room as I am, and if I so much as walk into the kitchen to toss something into the garbage he is right behind me. He likes to be held in my lap while we read a book, or while we file his toenails. (I think they might have done this at the orphanage because when I was filing my own nails he just climbed right up and gave me his foot!)

He has fallen asleep in my arms 3 times – twice before his nap and once before bedtime. What a sweet, sweet feeling. At first, it took hours to get him to sleep, but he is doing better now. It usually takes no more than 30 minutes. When he finally drifts off, he sleeps 2.5 hours for his nap, and in the evenings he sleeps through the entire night. He goes to bed between 7:00-8:00pm and wakes up around 6:00-6:30am every day. Those of you who know me well know that these early mornings have been really tough for me!



Water in general makes him insanely happy. During his baths I often have to keep him from hurting himself while he flails around in the tub with unbridled joy. He rolls around like a log, and even likes it when his whole face is submerged. He blows bubbles, splashes like a duck and squeals with delight. I have finally gotten him to stay seated, which was my biggest challenge here. He could stay in the tub all night long and he bawls when I take him out.

Once, after I had mopped the living room floor, he found a residual wet spot and immediately plopped down to gleefully slide around in it. Whenever I wash his hands in the sink, he dips his head in to get it all wet too. Crazy about water I tell you! I've never seen anything like it. I can't wait to get this boy to the beach and into a big swimming pool.



Although it has been wonderful having him here with me, it has been a lot of hard work helping him through this traumatic time in his life. Milo is old enough to understand that he is out of his element. He has been adjusting and mourning. Plus, he is simply a rambunctious two-year-old learning new boundaries and unlearning old ones. Not an easy combination!


Our first 4 days together were incredibly intense. During this time about 80% of our time together in the apartment was spent with me chasing, scolding and redirecting him. He was on a mission to explore and eat everything he could get his hands on. He also incessantly whined for me to give him anything and everything within his line of vision, as well as begged me to go outside constantly. When I didn’t comply, the tantrums started. Big ole hearty, spirited, fall-on-the-floor tantrums.

During the times we had fun together in the apartment he would be so excited that he would soon start his fake biting attempts, or sometimes try to pinch me, laughing all the while. I managed to avoid his "love bites," except for one time when he actually bit my finger hard. Trust me, those are some big, scary choppers, especially when they are coming at you!


Day 4 was the worst day of all, and I eventually succumbed to my own sobs of frustration and just plain tiredness. I desperately longed for just 5 minutes of silence, and for a brief moment I felt my love and sympathy overshadowed by frustration and anger. I didn't know how I was going to make it for another 2-3 weeks.

On that day, I caught Milo writing the following letter:

“Help! Is anybody out there??? I’ve been kidnapped! My name is Damir Sultanov and I was taken from my home at Ymit Baby House 4 days ago by this woman who I thought was my friend. She was a great playmate when she came to visit me every day, but I didn’t sign up for being kidnapped by her! She is being nice to me, but I’m totally freaking out and I want to go back home! I’m trying everything I can to drive her crazy enough to take me back. I constantly demand that she gives me everything I see. But she won’t do it. I bring her shoes to her 12 times a day so she will take me outside where I can call for help (or at least get my mind off things at the playground.) I cry for a bath constantly. When she doesn’t give me what I want I get so mad. I have been throwing the best tantrums I can muster. You should see it—oh yeah I am rocking her world. I am hoping the neighbors hear it and call the police. I’m surprised they haven’t. So now I’ve resorted to having the snottiest nose, stinkiest poots and dirtiest diapers I can muster. I often hear her talking on the phone to that guy who used to visit me with her. It sounds like they are conspiring about something really big. I’m worried. Please send help now!”


Seriously, I have felt so bad for Milo, and even in the times when it seems he has little horns out I have mostly just felt sympathy for him. His behaviors are all expected for a kid in his shoes. The poor baby has had his predictable life turned completely upside down. He is confused and distraught, and certainly doesn't like all these new restrictions being set. He is also bereaved and yearning for his comfort zone, his caregivers and his familiar routine.

I know he misses the baby house. I'm sure that he once thought I was taking him back there. As we were walking by somebody’s laundry hanging out to dry it looked just like the baby house grounds, which are always full of laundry on clotheslines. Milo got so excited and RAN as fast as he could toward it, pulling me with me and whining with excitement. But when we got there he looked around and was confused. Nothing else looked familiar. It wasn’t the baby house. He was so sad. I have never felt more sorry for anyone in my life. The same thing happened again when we once approached an iron fence that looks exactly like the baby house fence. So pitiful!

I’m relieved and happy to say that we turned a corner on day 5, and things have been about 80% better since then. I attribute this to several things, but largely because I started using a “holding technique” explained in this link http://www.helium.com/items/508659-creative-discipline-that-really-works as a consequence of unacceptable behaviors. The results are amazing, and I saw the positive effects of this the very same day. I highly recommend it for parents with children under 4 -- as long as you are significantly stronger than them it should work without any risk of ever hurting them. (This is not the same thing as the controversial "holding therapy" sometimes used in attachment therapy.)

Also, I have stuck to his schedule from the baby house pretty strictly, and I have been giving him consistent affection and discipline. I never have given in to a single tantrum. Not once! That has not been easy, but they have greatly reduced in frequency and length, and now he often just accepts my “no” and moves on. I can hardly believe my eyes sometimes. :-) I can tell he is very slowly letting go of his old life. We are having lots more fun now, and mostly positive and normal interactions. My sweet little adorable and charming boy is back. Mostly. ;-) And yes, I know we've only just begun the long process of true bonding and attachment, and there will be many more bad days and challenges ahead...adoption-related and not. Plus we have two more big transitions to get him through -- Almaty and Charleston. I'm not kidding myself by thinking we're out of the woods yet.

I would equate this experience to taming a wild horse while also emotionally supporting someone who has suffered an enormous personal loss and moved to a strange new foreign city all at once. And doing this while also starting on an vigorious new workout regime! Caring for a 2-year old has been so physically demanding, and my hamstrings and my back were absolutely screaming at one point. (I once broke a vertebrae and so my back is wacky to begin with.) I wish I had better prepared myself to continually lift and tend to the needs of 26 pounds of toddler 500 times a day! Thank goodness Alysa, my fellow adoptive parent here in Aqtobe, told me about the trick of lying on a tennis ball to apply deep pressure to my back muscles, which helps with spasms and general tension. It has been a lifesaver. She also let me borrow her tennis ball until we found some at the market. Yes, I guess someone plays tennis in Aqtobe!

Speaking of Alysa, everything finally checked out okay with her IA doctor, so she has officially announced her new son, Kailyr Braden (or Braden Kailyr-final order TBD)! His given name is Kairat (pronounced Kye-rot) and he is the cutest little 8-month old, Kazakh pumpkin pie with a laugh that would melt your heart! I am so happy for them and it was an honor to spend time with both of them here in Aqtobe.

Alysa and I both leave for Almaty on FRIDAY morning – in 2 days!

Alysa will be heading back to Denver right away to await her court date in 5-6 weeks.

Milo and I are expecting to be in Almaty between 7–10 days before finally going home to America. His paperwork is coming along quickly and if we are really lucky we might actually leave on the following Friday. So it looks like we just might have our little guy home before his 2nd birthday after all. Papa, get the swimming pool ready!

31 comments:

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Regina -
You are doing an awesome job. These little guys wear you out - I don't know how I would have fared solo. Your description of Milo thinking he was near the BH made me cry. Each day will get better (as it seems as though they already have!) and even when there is a step back, there will be two steps forward. One day at a time :)

Have a safe trip to Almaty & enjoy your time there. It will seem like a whirlwind - you are nearing the home stretch!! I hope Milo celebrates turning two as a US Citizen!!

-Julie

Amy said...

Awesome!!!! Great post and pictures!!! Tell me about it - I was so glad that Karina was a healthy 38 pounds but try lifting that all the time and the body just rebels. Milo sounds totally normal. It is quite the adjustment for all huh? But it gets better and better - well actually for me it got worse before it got better but I digress. Anyway, just realize you are now officially moving toward the six month mark...it takes a while for some normalacy to return and during that time all the "fantasy" part of being a parent well it basically just dies a hard death...LOL...but the neat thing is that the reality of being a parent isn't all bad there is "real" great stuff too.

I applaud you for being consistent...even for the toughest of us we cave sometimes out of pure exhaustion but fight the good fight and last as long as you can and it will pay off as you have already seen. The more consistent the less the trauma and drama. You can do it. Make sure make sure make sure you are getting as much sleep as you can - sleep when he does...this was the mistake I made I let myself get overtired and then I was not as effective as a parent. These little ones are smart smart smart they can zoom in on your weak points and try to manipulate - I make the children sound so awful but what I am saying is true. They are able to figure it out fast. You have to be more stubborn, smarter and tougher. Being a parent stretches you but take it from someone who has survived past the three month mark - it does get better and is so worth it. I hardly remember the days of being kicked and bit. LOL!!!

Susan and Robert said...

Regina,

I am so glad you are finding it difficult to update your blog! I thought it was only me! I was always jealous over your eliquently written posts and the fact I can't find much time to write a sentence on mine!

Safe travels to Almaty. I bet you are ready for some new scenary! I hope you get Milon home before his b-day! That would be loads of fun for him (and you:>)

Susan

dnd82001 said...

Everyting sounds wonderful - it's all good!!

Darlene

Sandi said...

Regina,

I am so happy to read an update and see pictures of Milo. Sounds like you guys are getting to know each other and bond. I'm sure as time goes your bond will grow stronger just as your love for him continues to flow.

Your so smart to know that he knows what has happened but the fact that you are there for him daily and he can start to trust you the better your time will be with him.

Sending many hugs to you guys and looking forward to hearing about Almaty and your trip home. Your just about on the other side of the countdown.

Sandi

Kelly and Sne said...

That does sound intense. We didn't hit that wall until Almaty - but hit it we did. And we are still dealing with excessive whininess and clinginess after a month at home (though how sad that you can see he misses 'home' - we didn't realize this until we left Semey where they had borrowed a mattress from Miras' BH and it smelled of 'home'). Some of the behaviors that you described are very normal and even Miras showed them. It sounds like you have things under control though. And remember that kids thrive on routine so as soon as you can establish one - wherever in the world you are - the better. So be prepared as you may have a similar 'break in' period in Almaty as well as at home too (though they seemed to progressively diminish in intensity each time). And I can relate to the fatigue and wear and tear on the body - I feel like I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome from holding Miras so much!

Above all, enjoy your time together as you'll wish you had it back when you get home.

Angela said...

Bravo, Regina! Thanks for updating - I am glad to read that you are getting to know each other better and working through Milo's loss. I can imagine it has been difficult, but it really sounds like you are making some progress.

Maybe you have a future Olympic swimmer on your hands :)!

Amy said...

I have been blog stalking for days...glad you posted! I know you have your hands full, you're bone tired, and your patience is gone. You are a full-fledged mama now and you're doing an awesome job. All of this is preparing you for what lies ahead...the trials and the tribulations of a little person you love more than life, but who sometimes makes you want to pull your hair out. I love the letter from Milo...I still find my girls writing similar letters saying "My mom is so mean, I want to run away before she ruins my life." There are still those days, but many more filled with fun and love. You are amazing and will grow as Milo grows and show him the way. I know Frank is hating missing out on all this and just plain missing you both! I can't wait to meet the little character in person. Safe travels to Almaty. I love you.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Memories, Memories! I would consider my meltdown more of a wail than a sob after being yelled at by the neighbor for Nick's crying, and our Coordinator's dad having harsh words for me, Pat had left for America, and there was no hot water....wailing abounded from both of us. My mantra will always be that those of us who become parents for the first time to toddler aged children from another country deserve special crowns in Heaven. It is hard, it is really hard but when it is good, it is the most rewarding experience ever. To know that this little one had a life before you and is making the choice to trust you, to love you, to make you his or her family is a gift that no one can really understand unless they have the privelege of living it! As Amy and others have said...consistency and boundaries are the key and you are doing AWESOME! karen (Nick's mom)

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh! Is it even possible for that little boy to get any cuter?!?! Seriously!

You are so smart Regina. And so wise. You have perspective and that is 95% of the battle right there.

I hope your flight goes well! The next part of your journey- how exciting. And one more step closer to home!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Regina, you are an amazingly natural mother. You are handling everything so well and it is making a difference. Hang in there - your little angel is such a dear and the ground work you are laying now will pay off as you enter this exciting new chapter in all your lives, Big congrats and sending you lots of prayers. But you are doin' it!

Trudi

Stephanie and Gary said...

You are an amazing, compassionate, loving, dedicated and passionate mommy. You have empathy that knows no bounds. You are doing a wonderful job. Reading about his grief was a tear jerker, but to know that you have made a breakthrough is beautiful to read. When you get a chance, check out my blog. You'll like it.
Steph

Happy said...

Bless you, Regina. for having such patience, stamina, and strength of will. Milo would thank you for this if he could. This is such a joyful time, but I know it's also difficult to go through these challenges and changes without your partner and difficult for Frank to miss out on the day-to-day happenings. But you will all be together soon, and I think this next adjustment phase will be easier for you and for Milo. Persevere, don't give in, and just keep on loving that boy. He will get over the lonesomes, though he will NEVER stop testing you... never ... ever. Happy

Alysa said...

I've seen it first hand, a tantrum or two, a boo-boo that needs kissing, the checking to make sure you are watching his antics, he definitely turns to you for everything now. I realize that bonding and attachment take some time, but what a wonderful start!

I too wish you all the best while you stay in Almaty, and then again for the transition to Charleston. Milan is simply adorable.

Patrick & Eileen said...

Regina, I will respond to your e-mail but wanted to write here too. First of all, just reading your words got me all teary-eyed. I'm sure he does miss things about his old life BUT he IS attached to you. I'm certain it's love :)

No doubt it is difficult adjusting for both of you. But what a special time to get to know each other without life (work, etc) getting in the way.

His photos are precious. He is a water baby that was clear. How cute is that!!

We are thinking of you and so very happy for you too. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you make it back to the U.S. in time for his second birthday. A special day to include dad and family!

Hugs,
Eileen

Nell said...

Wow, your strength is amazing -- and I can't imagine there's anyone who wouldn't have broken down at least once.

Hooray for setting boundaries! Hooray for Milo realizing the boundaries are definitely set!

Good luck in Almaty -- I'll be thinking of you!

marsrob said...

Oh Regina!!! I have been checking and checking and thinking to myself "Oh dear, I hope she's ok with this massive transition all by herself!" and now I am relieved to read your post. You are PHENOMENAL. TRULY. You are offering your son a safe place to grieve and express himself - no matter how painful it is for you. Your discipline with the holding technique is such a gift to him - I am constantly amazed at how much closer I feel to Aila and she seems to feel to me after a meltdown and holding incident. It is like she says to me afterwards (through actions), "thanks, Mom". It is so hard sometimes though. When Marshall comes home after a massive tantrum, and she is already in bed, I just cry in his arms out of exhaustion and frustration and sadness. But then the next day she is so affectionate! So - I completely understand this rapid shift and the immediate benefits of hanging in there consistently.
You are AMAZING to be doing this while Frank is in the States. What an intense time. And your deep respect for your son's sadness and transition is beautiful. He is the most blessed child. And I know you are blessed too. He sounds precious. And the photos are incredible. What a kid!!!

You're almost home! HOORAYYYYY!!!!! It is truly an honor to follow your journey. Thank you for sharing.

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Yahoo!!
We are so happy and so excited !
Have a safe trip to Almaty and when you get back to Charleston,
we can't wait to meet him!
How will you hold all of us back!!
Judy

Marlene said...

Regina,

You are a phenomenal woman!! Not just in how you care for Milo but how passionate you are in sharing the experience with everyone. What a journey you've been on. When all is said and done, you'll look back at the whole experience in wonder, because your life will never be the same. And those of us who have journeyed with you will delight in having watched it all unfold through your writings.

We miss you terribly and can't wait to have you and Milo back in Charleston.

See you soon!!

Love,
Marlene

cindy said...

Wow! Talk about jumping into the deep end, huh?! You are an amazingly strong person and Milo sounds like he is a fabulous, headstrong, smiling, active two year old boy. Glad to get an update. We leave for Ethiopia August 20th - less than two weeks!
xo, Cindy Matt Astrid and coming soon...Akeyla!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I've been thinking about you guys constantly! I'm glad to hear you and Milo are surviving. You are almost home!
You will have other adjustments, both adoption and non-adoption related, in the years ahead, but I am so happy and relieved for you that you've turned this initial corner. Try and stay calm and keep everything in perspective. You are almost home!
Take good care of yourselves!!! And have an easy and speedy time in Almaty.
What a wonderful 2nd birthday celebration it will be!

Amy said...

Hi it is Amy again. I also wanted to mention that you should see if you can have Frank line up a trusted babysitter or two - if you have not done so already - the other thing I did not do and wish I would have was have the ability to get away in the beginning for a few hours at least two times a week. My problem was twofold...I did not have a trusted sitter lined up and Karina stuck to me like super glue. I couldn't go to the bathroom alone. This is normal and probably what you are going through yourself. If you have someone that can become involved in Milan's life in the beginning then you would be able to have them come watch him and this would give you a chance to get a hot bath for instance or something that would allow you to relax your mind and body. Even though you have Frank and that is great there will come a point where you two will want to just get a mini break. Keeping a weekly date night or something like that so you can keep your sanity during the early months I think is highly beneficial for not only you and your state of mind but for Milan as well. He will benefit from your occasional break because you will be more patient and relaxed.

Matthew Ruley said...

Kept checking for a post. its so hard, isnt' it? Sounds like you are doing well.

Interesting to read that holding technique... I use it when Andrey gets too wild to do anything, but I usually have to also hold his hands in such a way that he doesn't pinch, and far enough away that he doesn't bite!

Poor Matt suffered from lifting our kids (24 and 26 lbs) when we broke them out of the "Big O", but all the therapy I did helped I think...

Sounds like you are doing super well, keep up the good work and being consistent.. It did seem like the first few days was overrun my terror and overwhelming need to touch everything and taste everything... Andrey managed to eat 2 or 3 containers of Playdoh yesterday so I guess it hasnt stopped yet... And he LOVES water amd music. We need to do a playdate!

I need to post some important russian phrases on my blog - like

leh-gee v kro-vah-tee which means "stay in bed"... one of my favorites! Goo-laht which means go for a walk and Nah-oo-lit-zoo which means outside. Koosit is eat...

Matthew Ruley said...

When we got the kids to the apartment the first day they looked outside and yelled over and over again "goo-laht! goo-lat!" and I kept wondering what thing outside was a goo-laht and why it was so exciting... too funny in retrospect...

And Andrey has also managed to eat fishtank gravel and other nasty things... Suprised he's not gotten sick... And he gives me love bites too and real chops when he's angry. Videotaping his tantrums almosts ends them. I'm hoping to catch a real good one...

Kaz Blog Reader said...

I have been blog stalking too! I'm so glad you posted. I feel for both you and Milo. You are a natural! Can't wait to meet him and hear that giggle!

You guys are always on our mind.
Take care and have a safe trip!

Hope

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Regina, what a beautiful post. We cannot imagine when you have found the time to post, so we are very, very appreciative. You are already an AMAZING mom, and it is just so admirable that you have taken on this huge challenge while alone in Kaz. I am sure Frank cannot wait to be able to help parent your beautiful little boy. My heart melted when reading your description of Milo heading towards the laundry line. I cannot even imagine how difficult that must have been. Max still stops in his tracks and seems to be contemplating life -- we just can't stop wondering what is going through his little mind, but your poignant letter surely describes what so many of our little ones must feel! You will never forget these days, and hopefully you will find great joy in sharing these stories of your first days together with Milo for years to come. We are praying for super speedy paperwork for you so that you are in and out of Almaty in no time at all! It's a great city and all, but let's get you both home to the US. You can go back and visit another time. LOL.

All the best!

Karen, Glenn, and Max

Susan said...

Regina, all i can say is WOW.
I have always "known" you were incredible, but now incredible doesn't seem adequaet to describe you.
I am so glad you made the time to post about Milo's transition. you are such a wnoderful natural mom!!!
I love how he loves the water....that is awesome. Just think how he'll love the pool and the beach. You wont be ablet to get him out!
I am glad you are getting him to sleep, and that he slept on you.
He truly does sound attached to you...and that you understand his grief despite your own tiredness and adjustment is just awesome.
I learn so much from my blog friends, and I am so grateful.
I remember Shannon talking about how hard it was when she got Alexa. Not that many people talk about how hard it is, and when it is hard, you would not know that you are normal!

thanks to people like you,and her, and others, I feel like I at least have a realistic expectation!

Your son is precious...and you look so beautiful holding him.

Oh,and thank you for the pix resizer tip...it worked like a charm.

I'm so happy you can leave for almaty on Friday.

it's already Thursday!

we are fixin to go see lil Leeza.
the time has gone by so fast so far....tomorrow it will be a week. it doesn't seem that long.
(remind me this when i've been here 6 or 7 and may not have had court yet, will you??)

big hugs to you and Milo....and you are incredible.
Milo is a lucky lucky boy to have such a wonderful underestanding and firm mommy (and daddy!!)

love to you!!!

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Wow this sounds so familiar only I had my husband to help so I cannot imagine how incredibly super strong you have had to be! Kudos to you! I loved the letter that "Milo" wrote and it sounds familiar too! He is simply the most adorable and I love that smile coming off of the slide! Thanks for the link as we are looking for something for Berik that will work. Your blog is wonderful and your post was well worth waiting for! Looking foward more awesome pics! Thanks for sharing! Gena,Jaimie and Berik

Kaz Blog Reader said...

I am wishing you both the best of your days ahead. You are doing so well with Milo on your own! I know it must be really hard. That is really cute how much he likes the water, especially since it sounds like you live close to the beach. We are scheduled to be in Almaty on the 17th now. We got delayed a week, so we might miss you in the big city. Good luck with your trip home. Tricia H.

Karla said...

It's Friday already - good luck in your travels. Your consistency is paying off already. Keep it up! You're doing great! I love that you stop and recognize that Milo is also going through this transition. There is definitely another side to this; not just you being a new mom!!!! I always knew you were a smart cookie - LOL.
Definitely have us over soon and let us all bond, because you and Frank need a moment alone when you get home and having a clingy son may feel good, but you absolutely need a break and there will come a point where Milan won't let you. He will soon need to separate himself from you and if you don't let others take over soon (just for a short while) then he's not going to let you take your break ... and then you know what follows...insanity! He he he. Anyway, let us know when the official trip to Charleston is set. We'll be there with bells on! xoxoxo
K

Doug and Jenn said...

Hi Regina,
Hang in there! While each day presents new challenges, they also present new reasons to be so thankful for this little person in your life. Make sure that you use the nap time to recharge yourself. Rather than doing chores...take a nap yourself, take a bath, do whatever you can to help you find the necessary quiet time that you need! He is absolutely adorable and you are doing such a good job!!! I bet Daddy cannot wait to hold his little family.

When we were in Kaz, our week in Almaty was the best part of our 2 mo trip. There are so many wonderful parks to walk through. Get a stroller and take Milo on some nice long walks and enjoy the city and the good food.

Take care,
Jenn Sines