Thursday, December 18, 2008

'Twas the night before...

Frank and I have been sending out homemade holiday postcards for 5 years now. Frank is a graphic designer and we both have a warped sense of humor, so that makes for some pretty unconventional holiday greetings. This year was extra fun with Milo in the mix!

Here is our latest creation: (click to enlarge)

2008

And here is our Christmas postcard collection from years past:

2007
(after returning from Italy and seeing more
naked statues than you can shake a stick at)




2006





2005




2004





I just hope our social worker doesn't decide to revise our home study after seeing these!

Everything is grand on the homefront, and we're ready for the holidays! We have discovered that Milo's favorite toys are cars, trucks, planes, trains, tractors, tools, telephones and ... shoes! (I swear, I still can't keep them in my closet.) We have conveyed this information to Santa Claus, and I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to deliver.

We cannot believe we've been home for 4 months and that Milo will be 28 months old on the 23rd. He is growing quickly (especially his platypus feet) and he has crossed over the threshold from being a big baby to a little boy. It's mind-blowing. He is so much more sure-footed and steady in his stride. He is still happy, healthy and eating and sleeping beautifully. His language development is phenominal. For me it is the most exciting thing to watch. He says hundreds of words and has no fear in sounding out anything we model for him. He even says "elevator" and "Piggly Wiggly." (A southern grocery store. Really. Google it.) He identifies and requests everything he can, all day long and he is so close to putting words together we can smell it. Lately, our first 10 minutes of every morning sound something like this: "Hi! Mommy. Diaper? Snuggle. Eat. Hungry. Bib. Spoon. Yogurt. Banana. Applesauce. Openit. Drink. Yum! All done. TV?" (He actually still doesn't watch much TV by his choice; Few shows hold his attention for long.)

He is still an energetic, giggly barrel of monkeys and usually smiling from ear-to-ear. Our bonding and attachment process continues to be very successful. Fortunately we have never had big issues, but even so, I can see a difference when comparing our first 2 months home to now. I can't even imagine what it will be like in another 4 months or even a year because every day that passes just melts our hearts together even more irrevocably. Sometimes I can physically feel a primal maternal response to him in the core of my body. It's incredible.

He no longer sleeps in a cradle beside our bed, but he's now in his crib in his bedroom full time. (It used to be just for naps.) Even still, one of us always rocks him to sleep at night (and for naps), before placing him in his crib. Sometimes we use our big rocker/recliner and sometimes we just lie with him in our bed. Once in a while he just won't drift off, even after an hour or so, so we put him down awake. He is usually fine with that. It takes some extra effort, but I think this has been one of the most important bonding rituals for us. We also have good snuggle time with him in our bed in the mornings.

Frank and I have had such fun taking him to the fair, the Christmas parades, the firestation, storytime, indoor jump castles, playgrounds and many other outings. We try to have lots of playdates with other kids because I can tell he really misses being around children. He is very sociable and thrives around other people. We are signing up for Kindermusik to help with that as well.

Frank and I are doing pretty well. We are still honing our parenting skills, finding our stride and learning to multi-task and communicate like never before. Mornings are tough on us, as we were never morning people. We have only been out on 1 date night since Milo came home, so that is something we need to prioritize. As much as we love our new life, we sometimes need a breather and a fresh perspective -- especially on the days when Milo decides to be extra willful, impish and whiny! Life is definitely different, we miss seeing our non-parent friends as often, and we are sometimes so tired that our skin hurts. But of course we wouldn't trade Milo for a whole lifetime of sleeping in late.

We are certainly looking forward to a very special holiday with our sweet elf. We wish much peace, warmth and love to everyone during this magical time of year. Take good care of yourselves and of those you love!


And by the way...

You've GOT to see this video!
Milo does this all the time. On purpose.
He keeps his eyes open and never stops grinning.

17 comments:

John & Jenny Morgan said...

What creative Christmas cards! This year's is my favorite (for obvious reasons)! We hope you have a merry Christmas!

It doesn't seem like you've been home for four months! Time flies when you're having fun, whether it be in the tub or in general!

Kim said...

What a great update. 4 months went by fast! You are right, in another 4 months you will be blown away! It is amazing.

Love the Christmas cards. You guys are hysterical.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas as well.

kitzkazventure said...

OK, all I am saying is maybe Kazakhstan is the lost Atlantis because I swear every Kaz Kid I know is a water fanatic. We call Nick, dolphin boy. I swear he is going to be a Navy Seal because he prefers to be underwater more than anything....he never sputters or chokes or anything (and always smiling just like Milo). It is kind of freaky, like he can breath underwater! LOL! Our families didn't believe us until they saw it for themselves.....so good for you to have video....there will be doubters! :) I think we should all join together and then our kids could be the whole Kazakhstan swim team for the 20whatever Olympics....they are dual citizens you know! :)

Gretchen said...

Love the cards!

It is a hard adjustment to have kids but well worth it. You are not alone! lol

Happy Holidays!

Matthew Ruley said...

YOU GUYS are SO FUNNY! Love it, love it! Milo is growing! Amazing isn't it? Theres a song from the Big musical (version of the movit) called Stop Time that I have always loved and now I understand the lyrics...
Nobody warns you of this parent's paradox - You want your kid to change and grow but when he does, another child you've just begun to know leaves forever. Birthdays fly - 7, 8, 9, 10. Every kid he becomes you clutch and say "Stop, time" Hold this one fast, but it's not supposed to last and that time has come and passed for he's growing and he has to go.

Susan said...

i love you guys so much! I love the cards, they are hilarious. I think in parenting, those that keep their sense of humor and wit about them have the most enjoyable experiences. I think you , Frank and Milo are certainly living proof of that fact.

I love how you worded of your "primal maternal response" to the core of your being. It's the best feeling in the world and i love how you coined it. I just love my kids so much I want to squeeze them and kiss them but then they don't like to be mauled...

I love how Milo will cuddle with you at night. Leeza is not a cuddler. She is getting better about it, and LOVES to sit with her daddy on the couch, and will occasionally sit in my lap for a book. Sean was super cuddly (and still is, but shhhhh it's "way uncool when you're 10")
I think being newly mobile she's just too busy to stop and cuddle. I am still using the ergo at the mall, the store, etc, rather than a stroller because I love the cuddle time we get.

Every parent has days when you want to pull your hair out-but that's why God made the kids so cute and loveable, because usually you forget those days before long and relish the happy, fun moments that you have as a family.

I am often so tired that my skin hurts too....but no way, would I trade it for the world.

I love him in the tub, that is hilarious. He will be a great swimmer in the pool and the beach.

I LOVE your holiday cards-you are so witty.

Your blog is a joy to follow-you shoot from the hip and the joy you feel for you son is tangible.

Much Love to you guys this holiday season and all during 2009!!

Alysa said...

Wonderful post as usual! Love those Christmas cards! Hysterical!

So glad things are going so well. It is amazing how much our kids change in such a short time, isn't it? I'm still having a hard time connecting the little baby I played with in Kaz, with the little almost-toddler that giggles at me from his crib in the morning.

The video of your little waterbaby is adorable! What a fish!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Much love,
Alysa and Brady

Amy said...

Hi my lovely friends~
I am the recipient of each and every unique holiday card and I love them all! I always looking forward to getting Frank's latest creation each year.

So glad your little man is thriving, and I totally know what you mean. When the girls were little, I can remember the weariness that made my bones ache. I too am a night owl by nature, so those early mornings and long days killed me. But you are right, it IS worth it. And know that in a few years, he will sleep in late (Haley slept until 10am last weekend!) and oh, how you will miss those morning cuddles (which I still get, but not as frequent as they used to be!) You all are good at everything you do, I have said it before, so I had no doubt you would be great parents. Enjoy the holidays in Indianapolis...can't wait to see the expression on Milo's face when he sees the loot Santa brings Love you~ MERRY CHRISTMAS & SAFE TRAVELS RUOPOLI'S!!

marsrob said...

The cards are hilarious - just so creative and funny!

And I have to say "so tired that our skin hurts" is the PERFECT description. We weren't morning people either - and that change STILL is hard on us after a year. But, it IS worth everything, as you say.

So glad things are going so well. Sending our love - happy holidays!

Stephanie and Gary said...

At the risk of repeating all the other wonderful comments whose sentiments I share, I will just say that you guys are truly a breath of fresh air and I hope to one day meet you in person! Love your humor, your joy, your honesty, your love for little Milo. All so inspiring. Have a wonderful holiday season!
Best,
Steph

Kelly and Sne said...

Hilarious! I just LOVE your cards - and wish I had your talents. My faves are this year's and last year's. Probably because I can say "I knew you when..."

It's so wonderful to hear that you are all enjoying each other so much as a family. In an earlier comment, they talked about kids changing so fast and new ones emerging. Boy I really know that feeling - it is like they become new people in a matter of a couple of weeks. Milo is getting to be so big and seems to be SO very happy. I love that he snuggles (and that you have the patience to rock him to sleep). I try to rock Miras and sing him a song but if he's really tired (most of the time), he'll just want to get in bed. Great post as usual! Happy holidays to you all!

Anonymous said...

That is one happy boy, and many funny holiday cards. What does one have to do to get on the mailing list? ;-)

Hard to believe this time last year we were SO CLOSE yet feeling so far from getting to Kazakhstan. And now look at us, home, sleep deprived, and happy as hell with our beautiful babies.
Shannon

Dana said...

I love the postcards, and the bath video! I also want to tell you that it's great that one of you stays with Milo unti he's asleep. I've been doing this for Serena since we came home 18 months ago. Just in the last month she is ok with me leaving her after a few minutes without a fuss. She's now comfortable in her crib alone and I feel great knowing she never has felt abandoned at sleep time. I'm also convinced it is one of the things that has made a strong bond between us. So keep it up, you both sound like wonderful, loving parents!

poobail said...

How cute is Mr. Brady? I love seeing your updates. Hey, head over to Alysa's blog, she posted a great update on 12/26. I am 'expecting' a girl next week, she's being born on Jan. 9th.
Margaret

Catalina said...

Happy New Year! Great pictures! I love your sense of humor! I m happy to see Milo`s eyes corrected. Gabi will have surgery on february 11, unfortunately is not going to be corrective, he will need more steps, his form of ptosis is pretty severe.

Best wishes,
Catalina

Trudi said...

FABULOUS cards! Frank is super talented and Mr Milo is just the cutest thing going. You'll soon get totally used to no sleep -- about the time he wants to sleep in you'll be up worrying about him!

Holly Trawick said...

LOVE the Christmas Cards! You guys are so creative!

Also LOVE the video!