Sunday, May 3, 2009

Exciting Adventure

I have taken on an incredible challenge. In November I'll be walking 60 miles over the course of 3 days, camping out each night with thousands of others taking this journey with me.

It's for an event called the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk, which benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

I've never done a walk like this before, so I am nervous about it! Past participants say that it’s not easy, and I need to train seriously for it. I am inspired to get back into shape for this worthy cause, as well as for my son.

I am so excited to be doing this fundraising walk with a wonderful group of 11 fellow Kazakhstan adoptive moms from all over the country! We became close through our shared experiences in adoption. We will be convening in Arizona for the Phoenix walk to support each other as we raise money for this great cause. We traveled 6,496 miles to bring our children home, so walking 60 miles for a cure is no problem! We are keeping a group blog of our quest at http://www.kazmamas.blogspot.com/ I wrote a post there recently about my friends, Angela and Jennifer, who are valiant survivors of this disease. I am humbly walking in their honor.

I hope that you'll share this adventure with me by supporting me in my fundraising efforts. My goal is to raise at least $2,300. Simply visit my personal fundraising webpage to make a donation. ANY amount is appreciated (seriously). Online donations are quick, easy and secure.

Thank you to those who have already donated. I offer my sincerest appreciation for everyone's consideration and support!

11 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Hi Guys!
Wow....that's great Regina! This is huge news! How do people prepare for this 60 mile walk?

I loved seeing the photos of Milo on the side of your post. He's just so darn cute!

I think of you three often and wished we lived closer. A few months from now I'll be further away in Washington.

By the way, Pat just put in his leave papers to be home the beginning of June (it'll be for a two week stay). I'm so excited!!

Congrats on your decision for a good cause. I believe you can do it!!

Eileen

Our Family of Bloggers said...

WOO HOO! And by the way, I LOVE that shoe. Is it a real one? And where can I buy it? They are stunning.

And yes, YOU CAN DO IT!

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

We are woefully behind in our comments on our fave blogs, but know that we are still following yours diligently. Milo is so amazing and totally adorable. I loved his Easter outfit -- and did you notice that Max and he were dressed a bit alike that day? Those boys' mothers have such good taste -- HA! I LOVE the hat, and I may just have to snag that idea for next year!

I am also really enjoying your posts on the Yahoo board, related to "toddlers." Thank you for taking the time to post such insightful information. I am always interested in what you have to say.

I'm thrilled for you and the other 11 women who will be trekking through Phoenix. I'm a breast cancer survivor, so obviously breast cancer research is so important to me and my family. I haven't figured out how to sponsor all of you -- I think I'll just sponsor the team so I can't be accused of playing favorites. :-)

We cannot wait to meet your family in Nashville!

Karen.

shannon said...

Wow Regina. That is incredible. I can't wait to read about your experience on the walk. I am sure you will meet may wonderful women survivors and supporters. What a great bonding experience. You go girl!!

Susan said...

I love that shoe too! I don't want one though cuz I can't walk in heels.

I am so excited to walk the walk with you-and need to get my walk on as well! :)

by the way-I AM TOTALLY LOVING YOUR CD! YOUR VOICE IS AMAZING.
I think you should sing thru the 60 miles for our entertainment. :)

kitzkazventure said...

So proud of all you girlies for doing this walk! Maybe next year I will be in shape enough to join in. I will get Cincy Karen to join me. My mom is a breast cancer survivor so what better reason! Go Kazmamas! BTW, we should discuss a Lexington pass thru...even if it is just a quick hello and potty break. I know a good little park right off the interstate! ;)

Unknown said...

I wish I could do the walk with you! I will be in Vegas when you're in Phoenix, but I'll be thinking about you!!! xoxoxo

Karen said...

I just received some sad news yesterday, my friend Renee was diagnosed with cancer in her right breast. Her mother died of breast cancer a few years ago. You mamas are doing a great thing. And I fully support you.

Kelly and Sne said...

Good for you! I wish I had some vacation time to join you all. I've been trying to get back into shape to compete in a local competition between companies (for charity) but I think I'm going to be crawling across the finish line.

I'm looking forward to supporting you all and the cause - but don't be too disappointed with the individual donations as I already have a couple of friends who walk this so I'm going to have to spread the joy a bit this year.

Sam said...

you aren't wearing those sassy shoes are you???

aultfamily said...

Hi Regina,

I got your name/blog from Jennifer Matasovsky. I'm a fellow blog buddy of hers who is currently adopting from Kazakhstan. She said you would know how to invite more than 100 people to Blogger. We're going private soon and our list of invitees keeps growing! :)

Thanks in advance!
MaryAnn Ault
www.OnOurWayToKaz.blogspot.com
aultfamily(at)yahoo.com