Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Last Hoorah

Buon Giornio! Ciao! Salve!

Nope, that's not Russian. It's Italian. And why am I saying hello in Italian???

Because we just returned from a vacation in Italy! That's right, ITALY!!! We first soaked up Rome, then Florence/Tuscany and finally Venice. I can still smell the marinara sauce. Oh wait, maybe that's just us after the long trip home!

It was a wonderful experience to say the least, and I could fill up the entire web-o-sphere with a blog entry about our adventures.

We took about 1,500 photos and 2.5 hours of video. You can see some of our favorite photos here:

http://flickr.com/photos/ruopoli

I recommend watching the slideshow on the fast or medium speed for the best quality. These were uploaded as low-resolution, so let us know if you’d like to have any high-resolution ones.

We decided to embrace this lifelong dream before our little one arrives because it may be awhile before we can take a trip like this again. Soon it will be Disneyworld, Carowinds and camping, which are all great too! On the practical side, this trip was also good training for becoming savvy international travelers before our bigger, scarier trip to Kazakhstan.

Sorry for the unannounced absence, but we didn't want to inadvertently invite any intruders into our home. Even though we had a house sitter, you can't be too careful. We want to send out a BIG thank you to Frank's sister, Rosie, her hubby, Fred, and son, Andrew, for housesitting for us. You guys rock!

So it's back to reality and also back to blogging. I missed it! As far as the progress with our adoption paperwork goes -- we came home to find out that we are still treading water. The 'magic letter' from DSS is still eluding our home study agency. Not the happy news we had hoped for, but I hope we can start swimming again this week. Frank even has his Speedo on.

Arrivederci, y'all.

14 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

Bueno! Sorry all the Italian I know was written by Pucci and and a few other decomposing composers. You guys really did take a whirlwind trip - congrats and I hope it was as wonderful as it sounds.

Sandi said...

That is great. I can totally relate to getting in as much selfish time as possible as it is all about to change. Who's complaining though, for those of us waiting, it will be a welcome to not have the time to be selfish. I am so glad you had a blast and I would love to see pictures.

marsrob said...

Hey! Welcome home! We were beginning to wonder what was going on...glad to hear you went on such an incredible trip! Post some photos!

marsrob said...

We missed you....

Susan said...

hey, welcome home indeed! How much fun and how romantic!! But, your blogger freinds did miss you. We kept checking back for progress.

My dad lived in Florence Italy so I spent 2 summers in Italy when I was 14 and 15. I just remember lots of CUTE Italian boys and my Italian boyfriends. It was AWESOME.

loved the food and the gelato secondbest. :) (after the boys)

Hey, i was 15, what can i say. :)

but, I did marry an Italian. :)

Jennifer said...

Oh wow! When you go on vacation, you don't do it in small ways! I bet it was absolutely wonderful. I'm glad you're back. I've been checking every day and no updates. I kept hoping all was all right. Sounds like it was more than all right! At least on the vacation front. Can't wait to see a few of your favorite photos.

Thad and Ann said...

hey there! I've been wondering about you guys. it sounds like you had a great time. :) Can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks for your comment, I think my family is pretty special too. ;)
Ann

marsrob said...

BEAUTIFUL photo!!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Sounded like a great vacation! We are trying to plan something now that our paperwork is in... keeping in mind that it will be more difficult after we pick up our child. We wanted to introduce ourselves... we are also with LMI and have enjoyed your blog so far. FYI - ours is http://climbingcradlemtn.blogspot.com.

Kelly

P.S. Good luck with your document... I can relate to how frustrating that can be!

Sam said...

Hi! I was being nosy and looking at your page! What an awesome trip!!!!!!! Congrats

Sam

Anonymous said...

Awesome pic!! You guys look like you are having a blast...you really know how to do a last hoorah!! See you guys Thursday night and can't wait to hear all about it so Chris will take me!!!

Angela said...

Oh, what fun! Good for you! I did that circuit with my mom in 2001 - when we got to Venice, I missed my husband the most. Venice has to be the most romantic city I have been to.

Jeannine said...

That's what I left off my list of adoption preparations-- a trip to Italy!! What a great idea-- you can't get a better distraction..

Karla said...

I cannot wait to see the officials pics tonight! So glad you're home! We sure missed you! I started to use the special international number you gave me just to do it. LOL. But thought twice due to high rates. Yikes. But anyway, I'm so glad you guys took the opportunity. The little green monster is smiling big for you despite you not packing me in your suitcase! :) See you tonight!